Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-03-09, 01:14 PM   #1
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop It Like It's Hot

When the bass are in a tizzy the drop shot rig can be one of the best set-ups to throw. A lot of anglers make the mistake of using the drop shot rig only for deep, clear water situations. The drop shot rig is rather very versatile and can work under a wide range of conditions with the proper adjustments.

The Gear
For most of my deep clear water dropshotting I use a 7 foot medium light to medium AiRRUS Ultra XL Spinning rod with 6lb test line. I like to use a lighter action rod because I can just shake the slack line when working the bait rather than moving the weight around. Spinning is my preferred set up because most baitcasters don’t have the silky smooth drag I am looking for in using light line. I look for a spinning reel with a big face on it so it will take up more line which is critical when fishing deep because a lot of times those deep kentucky bass will try to sky rocket to the top and you better be able to catch up to them. One of the biggest keys to dropshotting is to always use the lightest line that you can get away with. I really like to use 6lb test because it gives the bait a lot more action. I like to use the Gamakatsu No. 1 split shot/ dropshot hooks because there isn’t a stronger or sharper drop shot hook on the market. You want to make sure you tie a Palomar not for your dropshot and that you slip the tag end back through the eye of the hook so that your hook rides upright on your line. As far as plastics go I am a big fan of the zoom finesse worms for my clear water dropshotting. I like to also throw the robo worms because they have insane action. Some of my favorite colors are green pumpkin and Aaron’s Magic.
If I’m fishing dark or off colored water of around heavier cover I really like to step up to the casting gear and use around 14lb test. With the casting gear you won’t get near as much line twist as you do with a spinning rod. I like to use a medium or medium heavy action AiRRUS Ultra XL casting rod. My favorite baits to throw in off colored water on a drop shot are a Sweet Beaver, a Yum Doozie, and 6 inch Senko because I can get a lot more water displacement. I will also use an offset worm hook in the 2/0 size so as to not hinder the action of my baits. I like to use a reel with a fast gear ratio at least 6:31 because a lot of times the bass will start to swim off because they don’t feel any weight and you will have to catch up to them. When I’m fishing off colored water I will almost always add some type of a rattle to my bait because I want the bass to key in on it.

Techniques
There really isn’t any wrong way or place to fish a drop shot. I like to work mine a variety of ways depending on what kind of structure I am fishing. As always it is best to let the fish decide what they want. When I am fishing deeper points I often like to cast my drop shot rig out and drag it slowly along the bottom until I find a rock pile or some other piece of cover that gets my attention. I will usually let the bait sit almost on point without moving it to try and tempt a bass into biting. If I don’t get any response I will start to shake my rod tip on a slack line to give the bait some action. A lot of times the bass can’t stand this. I like to also throw a drop shot rig around boat docks. I’ll cast the bait up to the bank and work it out to the front of the dock. I’m always trying to feel for sunken brush piles and I will stop my bait and hold it when I get to a dock post. In the spring time you will want to keep your drop shot closer to your weight almost 6 inches above it a lot of times because the bass will be looking down feeding on crawfish. Rip rap is a great place to throw a drop shot rig. A good presentation to try is to let the bait sink on a slack line and then tighten up the line. This makes your bait come up off the bottom and then I’ll give it slack again and let it go back down. When fishing shallow cover the dropshot can be great. I like to pitch my rig up onto the bank and crawl it in so the weight doesn’t splash. The dropshot is an under used tool by most shallow water fisherman and it can give the bass that see hundreds of jigs and spinnerbaits a totally different look. You can work the bait very slow and keep it almost in one spot. I like to also throw a drop shot rig on bluff banks. A lot of times I’ll work the bait off the shelf and just shake it as it stair steps down the bluff wall. The key is determining how deep the bass are relating to the bluff and keeping your bait in the strike zone. I hope these tips on dropshotting will help you put more wary bass in the boat. Best Wishes!
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 01:26 PM   #2
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well put!

Thanks for your insight!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 02:08 PM   #3
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

WOW!! What great advice!! I have been really wanting to learn how to drop-shot for my upcoming season up here in Maine. You post was very informative... the advice will help me a lot!!

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 02-03-09, 02:24 PM   #4
TravisRush

There are fish in Maine?
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 02:54 PM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow great tip... i havent yet thrown a drop shot but my friend who just moved from Idaho promises to show me.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 03:19 PM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've only caught 1 bass on a drop shot. He must have been an idiot!!!
Old 02-03-09, 04:44 PM   #7
Joel

Drop shotting is one of my go to presentations. And most of my drop shotting actually takes place in shallow water of 12 ft or less. I've been successful in as little as 3-4 FOW.

For those that haven't tried DS'ing or have questions, Kevin has a Drop Shot Technique video that is 1st rate. Check it out.
Old 02-03-09, 07:07 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Joel,

What set up do you use for your drop shotting (spinning or baitcaster, M or MH, what pound test)? This is one technique that I haven't used much.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 07:18 PM   #9
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisRush View Post
There are fish in Maine?
Yes! haha Plenty of fish up heya!! My largest in Maine is 6lbs... but this was caught by my wifes uncle... I thought it was a good catch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0057.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	3094  
Old 02-03-09, 07:32 PM   #10
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Joel,

What set up do you use for your drop shotting (spinning or baitcaster, M or MH, what pound test)? This is one technique that I haven't used much.
Here's my Drop Shot setup.

rod: Shimano 6'6" clarus rod: Power Medium/Action Medium Fast/line 6-12 lb test/lure 1/8-1/2 oz. This rod has similar specs to most other manufactures ML rods. It's more like a noodle rod.

Reel: A Shimano Stradic 2500 spooled with Andes 10lb mono for a backing the 1st 1/3 of the spool, then 10 lb Power Pro. Using a Albright or reverse Albright knot I tie on a 6 ft 8 lb mono leader. Either Sufix Elite or Berkley XL. (mostly because I have so much of each one).

Hook: A Gami 1/0 Drop Shot hook. My leader down to the drop shot weigth is right around 14 inches. I rarely change that.

Plastic worm: 90% of the time I have a 4 1/2 inch Zoom Finesse Trick worm nose hooked. Colors, Pumpkin, green Pumpkin, & June Bug. When the Green Pumpkin is used up. I will only use the two remaining colors. I'll go up to a 6 inch Zoom Trick worm. I'll also cut off a inch or so from the head of the worm to go down to 3 1/2 inchs or so.

I also pitch or cast as much as I vertical drop. When in shallow water of 8 feet or less, I always pitch.

My technique is very simple. I let the weight rest on the bottom, then with some slack in the line I just barely jiggle the rod tip. The weight should remain on the bottom. The worm will move just fine. When I pitch, I still do the same thing, then reel in a few turns and repeat.

Last edited by Joel; 02-03-09 at 07:37 PM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 09:16 PM   #11
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

are those new robo colors? wow
Old 02-03-09, 09:26 PM   #12
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv basser View Post
are those new robo colors? wow
If you're referring to the Zoom Trick worms, those colors have been around for ever.
Old 02-04-09, 02:29 AM   #13
CCbass

Default never drop shotted

Truth is never seen a need, I use 16th ounce or less weight with four or six inch worms. As you work it it comes off the bottom 6,8,10 inches or more then settles back down, same effect to me. On another note bass don't like to go down to feed.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 09:45 AM   #14
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks a ton for posting that!!!!

I've been thinking that I will never really get to fish a drop shot much because I'ma shore huger!

That deserves a standing ovation! [spll?]

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-04-09 at 09:20 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 10:31 AM   #15
sharpe012010

think its with a V
Old 02-04-09, 11:19 AM   #16
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

no i was refering to the robo worms in the colors he posted.
Old 02-04-09, 01:50 PM   #17
islandbass

For those who are waiting to "get into" drop shotting, stop waiting! This technique is deadly. Well written, TB!
Old 02-04-09, 09:20 PM   #18
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe012010 View Post
think its with a V
Well I'll be damned!

Thanks
Old 02-04-09, 09:24 PM   #19
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
Truth is never seen a need, I use 16th ounce or less weight with four or six inch worms. As you work it it comes off the bottom 6,8,10 inches or more then settles back down, same effect to me. On another note bass don't like to go down to feed.
then how come i catch more fish with a t-rigged worm laying flat on the bottom?
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 09:39 PM   #20
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
then how come i catch more fish with a t-rigged worm laying flat on the bottom?

I'm with you on this one RR... most of my jig fish were from dragging it on the bottom. I've also caught a lot of smallies dragging a tube.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 10:50 PM   #21
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I'm with you on this one RR... most of my jig fish were from dragging it on the bottom. I've also caught a lot of smallies dragging a tube.
yes sir i seldom catch a good fish bouncing a t-rig off the bottom but i have caught some small ones doing it. and i love the tubes...
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.