Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-03-09, 09:19 PM   #1
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pointers

i am getting ready for a tourney and from what i have heard the pointers are hot. what colors work best? the water is clear to slighty stained and i believe there are threadfins in there

also what size? i was thinking the 3.25 inch
Old 02-03-09, 10:25 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

aurora black, american shad,or chartuses shad are the colors i use the most..

a 78 it is actually a measurement. the numbers are milimeters 78=78 millimeters..

the only pointers i use are the 128..

zooker
Old 02-04-09, 02:06 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

same as zooker but i would also check out the table rock shad. it's a very good color, especially in clear to stained water.
Old 02-04-09, 06:16 AM   #4
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ghost shad is a great color for clear to slightly off colored water.
Old 02-04-09, 06:55 AM   #5
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You guys talking about the lucky craft Pointer minnows?

If so i've had Great results with the HOT PINK in Crystal clear water, throwing this bad boy right into the thick weeds, getting it all matted up! and than having Bass explode on it covered in salad, and cabbage.

J/k (lol)

stick with natural colors in clear/ slight stained water, if its really clear, faster retrieve i hear works better, doesn't give the bass much time to inspect the bait as its Zipping past him, jerk Jerk pause (1-2 sec) jerk jerk jerk, pause 1-2 sec usually gets em for me after repeating this 3-5 times, most strikes come 1/2 way from my target-----(strike)------me.

Do some research on the internet about the lake, and what type of bait fish in-habit the lake, and whats the main source of food bass eat in august, Or a few days before the tournament make yourself a Stomach pump, its s simple water injection tool u can create with rubber tubbing, you slip it down the fish's throat, pump water into it's stomach, and it makes the fish throw up (wear rubber gloves) tip the fish upside down, to cause em to empty all his stomach contents and pick threw the mess to see what type of bait fish, (dont do this in your boat, it will stain your fabric) The vomit will tell you what the fish may be eating at that time of year, If its not fully digested.

you might be surprised, and find a few craw fish in there. (Smallies-n-Craw fish, Like steak-n-potatoes for men) whatever it is they are feeding on, The research or Stomach pump is one sure fire way to find out.

Good luck and keep us Posted

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.