Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-02-09, 08:20 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Salt on worms

OK so I have worms in my boxes now that have salt in them on them and in the bags...Question is

Is this a certain type salt?

Could you use just plain old table salt?

Would table salt work ?

I have clue why this never crossed my mind till now

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 09:05 PM   #2
bassackwards

that i don't know don't think it's table salt prob rock or sea
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 09:11 PM   #3
Mac2

You can do better than having salt on worms....you can get the salt in worms by soaking the worms in warm saltwater.....simply take two teaspoons salt in two cups hot tapwater and stir well...pour some in each baggie of soft plastics and mush about...re-seal the baggies and float them on a bucket or sinkful of hot tapwater for twenty minutes, then pour off the extra liquids in each baggy. The saltwater will penetrate the plastics.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:43 PM   #4
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

Try using Galic salt works good
Old 03-02-09, 10:56 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We put salt in our baits and in our bags too. It is non-idiodized ground ultra fine. I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that iodized (table) salt will kill the fish.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 11:04 PM   #6
Tennessee

Default I figured

some of you bait makers would know..I would want to hurt fish just for a catch !!!

Later Will
Old 03-02-09, 11:36 PM   #7
cassidyta

I am guessing that was meant to say would not?
Old 03-03-09, 11:50 AM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IMO its sea salt, but table salt is fine, I make hybrid plastics and when I'm done I add salt to the bag, this is supposed to bring out the sent and flavor better.

Go ahead and use table salt, but for best results use sea salt!
Old 03-03-09, 11:52 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
You can do better than having salt on worms....you can get the salt in worms by soaking the worms in warm saltwater.....simply take two teaspoons salt in two cups hot tapwater and stir well...pour some in each baggie of soft plastics and mush about...re-seal the baggies and float them on a bucket or sinkful of hot tapwater for twenty minutes, then pour off the extra liquids in each baggy. The saltwater will penetrate the plastics.
That's a great idea, I'll give it a try!
Old 03-03-09, 01:06 PM   #10
Raul

1.- Is this a certain type salt?

Nope, itīs regular non iodized salt

2.- Could you use just plain old table salt?

Yup

3.- Would table salt work ?

No

The point is, thereīs absolutely no pint in you adding salt to the bag cuz it ainīt in the bait , itīs not mixed in the plastic formula, you add salt ---> half of it goes flying away into the air when you cast the bait, the other half falls off or dissolved away from the bait when it touches the water or as the bait sinks, by the time it reaches the bottom there ainīt no salt on it.

You can put a plastic bait in a brine bath and still, it wonīt penetrate the plastic formula. In order to get a salty flavor the salt has to be mixed in the plastic.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:19 PM   #11
BassBandit

If not sure what kind salt then leave it as it is. Knowing that the salt will wash off so why bother. This is why I like Yamamoto baits. Full of salt impregnated is what makes it heavy & castable weightless.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:45 PM   #12
aikenyounggun

yeah i didnt know but now i do after Raul's post ... thanks raul
Old 03-03-09, 04:18 PM   #13
Raul

When you read "salted" on the label it doesnīt say where is the salt, if itīs in the plastic or on it. I remember some years ago when I purchased BPS brand baits, they had YUM attractand and salt, they even had "HEAVILY SALTED" on the pack, oh yeah they were shure heavily salted, regular ordinary soft plastic baits with a pound of ordinary salt on them , all the salt on the bait was gone after the first cast.

On the other hand BPS also has really salted baits ( salt mixed in with the plastic formula ) like itīs tubes, those are truely heavily salted.

Salt in a bait serves several purposes:

1.- It gives them salty flavor ( which I swear I donīt think itīs important ).
2.- It changes the sink rate of the bait ( which I do swear itīs important ).
3.- The manufacturer has to make the plastic softer ( which I also swear it gives the bait a different and more natural action ) that sometimes makes the difference between the bait getting bit opposed to a harder, less natural action bait.
4.- It adds weight to the bait ( which itīs also important, a Trickworm will fly a lot more than a Jelly worm ).

But the salt has to be mixed in with the plastic, otherwise it serves no real purpose other than for advertizing.

Only problem I find with salted baits is when manufacturers make the baits too soft, yeah they do have a great action but last an eyeblink.

If you think Yamamoto baits are bad in the durability department you should try Ecogear just for scientific curiosity , those baits do put things into another perspective, you sneeze of them and they come to pieces, after those Yamamoto baits and in a whole different planet.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:26 AM   #14
CCbass

Okay people this is in fact marketing, my early years back in the 80's I only fished plastics for the most part. At the time get a bite, drop the rod and let them run then set the hook was the norm. A large amount of our fish were in fact hooked in the stomach, no sent, no salt, yet they swallowed it. A bait that is soft and natural they will ingest regaurdless of the rest if they get it in there mouth, bass use sight and vibration above smell and taste to feed.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 07:50 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd actually like to know the point of salt in the bags. I get the impregnated salt, but the first time the bait hits the water, the salt washes off the outside. I think that is a marketing gimmick.

BB
Old 03-04-09, 10:53 AM   #16
Tennessee

If you think Yamamoto baits are bad in the durability department you should try Ecogear just for scientific curiosity , those baits do put things into another perspective, you sneeze of them and they come to pieces, after those Yamamoto baits and in a whole different planet. [/quote]

I looked them up here's a link the look like limp noodles LOL

http://www.lionstackle.com/index.files/Page686.htm
Old 03-04-09, 11:33 AM   #17
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
When you read "salted" on the label it doesnīt say where is the salt, if itīs in the plastic or on it. I remember some years ago when I purchased BPS brand baits, they had YUM attractand and salt, they even had "HEAVILY SALTED" on the pack, oh yeah they were shure heavily salted, regular ordinary soft plastic baits with a pound of ordinary salt on them , all the salt on the bait was gone after the first cast.

On the other hand BPS also has really salted baits ( salt mixed in with the plastic formula ) like itīs tubes, those are truely heavily salted.

But the salt has to be mixed in with the plastic, otherwise it serves no real purpose other than for advertizing.

There is an actual reason that salt is added to the baits on the outside. Salt is used with plastics to keep them from sticking together. I deal with tubes by the thousands and they are difficult to seperate unless they are heavily salted (on the outside). The more salt the easier they are to count and package but the salt gets everywhere.
Old 03-04-09, 11:37 AM   #18
Bender

^ Yes, just what I was going to say. You can either use salt or worm oil, but the oil is a mess.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 07:11 PM   #19
3dkicker

Oil would not be fun. Last order I sent out was 1300 tubes that I had to count out. Easiest way is two at a time. Takes a little while but goes much quicker when the tails don't stick to each other. Bagging them in 10 packs takes a lot more time and it would take much longer without the salt! I'd probably scream a few bad words and toss them all in the trash without it. No discounts given if people want them packaged.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.