Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-03-09, 11:24 PM   #1
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trigger X

Anyone bit on these new soft plastics yet? With all the "hype" of pheremones and such, I'm reluctant to try these, especially with a $6 price tag for 4 soft plastics. If anyone has tried these out yet, how did they fare as far as catching, durability, color and contrast, natural swimming appeal, ect...

The Doc
Old 03-04-09, 12:32 AM   #2
Tennessee

Default Hey Doc

I saw them got my thoughts too!!!

However I did read this about "hype" of pheremones

The development of pheromone-based feeding attractants for sustainable aquaculture

Andrew Moore
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science, Pakefield Road,
Lowestoft, Suffolk NR33 0HT, United Kingdom

The world-wide demand for seafood and fish products is increasing in both developed and developing countries due to the increase in human population and the realisation that fish and shellfish contributes to a healthy and balanced diet. The commercial fishing for wild stocks cannot support this rapid increase in consumption, which must be meet by a significant expansion and development of intensive aquaculture. However, at the present time the main proteins used within the aquaculture industries are derived from wild fish populations. This approach is totally unsustainable and politically unacceptable given the large-scale decline in wild fish populations and the overall deleterious effects of industrial fishing on the marine and freshwater environments.

In 2000, the Centre for the Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (CEFAS), an Executive Agency of the UK Government formed a Joint Venture with Kiotech International plc to develop feeding attractants based on fish pheromones and novel chemical cues that would hopefully play a role in assisting the further development of sustainable aquaculture. The development of the pheromone-based feeding attractants has two principal objectives. Firstly, in the short-term, it is considered that the application of these novel attractants will increase the feeding activity of farmed fish and therefore the uptake of existing fish-based feeds within the aquaculture industry. The principal advantages will be faster growth rates, improved feed conversion rations and the reduction in the amount of waste from uneaten feed, which results in significant environmental damage. Secondly, in the longer term, the feeding attractants will be used to permit the use of more sustainable forms of proteins within feeds, which are not based on fish oils or proteins. This approach will further conserve and protect wild fish populations and provide a sustainable base for the large-scale expansion of the aquaculture sector.

The on-going research and development of the pheromone-based feeding attractants is carried out exclusively at the CEFAS Fisheries Laboratory at Lowestoft, England. The laboratory has an international reputation for its research into the identification and role of pheromones in fish biology. Much of this work has focused on fish reproduction and migration and the impacts of diffuse contaminants on pheromone-mediated physiology and behaviour of both freshwater and marine species. Pheromones are the molecules used for communication between animals. They are known to be involved in the behaviour of a wide range of animals from ants and moths through to mammals. Pheromones were originally defined by Karlson & Lüscher (1959) as “substances secreted to the outside by an individual and received by a second individual of the same species in which they release a specific reaction, for instance a definite behaviour (releaser pheromone) or a developmental process (primer pheromone). The word pheromone comes from the Greek pherein, to carry or transfer and hormōn, to excite or stimulate. In fish, the definition of a pheromone has been modified by Sorenson et al. (1999) as substances, or specific mixtures of substances, which are released by individual organisms into the environment where they evoke specific adaptive and largely-innate biological responses in exposed con-specifics. Research on fish has concentrated mainly on the role of pheromones in controlling reproduction with the best-understood pheromone system being the goldfish (Carassius auratus). However, pheromones, odorants and chemical cues are also considered to play a role in shoaling, fish aggregations, social interactions (dominance), kin recognition, prey detection migration and signalling the presence of predators. More recent research, which is directly applicable to aquaculture has demonstrated that a number of pheromones and chemical cues can induce increased feeding activity in a range of freshwater and marine fish species.

In the majority of fish species the pheromones are released to the environment within the urine or across the gills. In all cases the fish receiving the pheromones detect them via the sense of smell (olfaction). Olfaction is crucial to the detection of the pheromones and so the feeding attractants must be in a soluble liquid form. In most fish species the olfactory organs are well developed and in environments where light may be limited and vision restricted by the clarity of the water the sense of smell plays the major role in communication. The pheromones and other cues are extremely potent odorants and are detected at very low concentrations. For instance, a number of the known reproductive pheromones are detected by the sense of smell at concentrations as low as 10-12 M, and so minute amounts of these compounds are required to produce the necessary behaviour in the fish.

The development of the pheromone-based feeding attractants for aquaculture involves a number of stages involving a wide range of analytical and behavioural assays and techniques. The main stages involved are:

1.Isolation of the pheromone/feeding cue
2.Identification of the pheromone/feeding cue
3.Production of a synthetic version of the pheromone/feeding cue
4.Olfactory bioassay of the pheromone/feeding cue
5.Laboratory-based behavioural bioassay to confirm feeding response
6.Laboratory-based feeding and growth studies on key species
7.Large-scale growth trials under commercial aquaculture conditions.

Once a compound has been confirmed as a feeding attractant then a synthetic version is produced commercially for large scale testing within the aquaculture industry. As each of the compounds is produced synthetically, the feeding attractants and commercial formulations do not contain any material directly derived from biological matter. A full environmental assessment of the feeding attractants for aquaculture has been completed and they pass a number of UK Government and European Commission Directives relating to the aquatic environment. These include the UK Environmental Protection Act 1990, which incorporates specific provisions for the control of dangerous substances in controlled waters (Dangerous Substances Directive, 76/464/EEC and the Surface Water Abstraction Directive 75/440/EEC). The environmental assessment of the product considered the potential for acute and chronic toxicity to aquatic organisms and for any potential endocrine disruption. The principal components of the feeding attractants have a low biological activity and degrade rapidly within the natural environment (half-life < 12 hours). The environmental assessment indicated that the feeding attractants have no harmful effects on the aquatic environment.

In general the most effective way of applying the feeding attractants within an aquaculture environment is to spray the formulations as a liquid preparation onto the surface of the water 2-5 minutes prior to the feeding event. This allows the detection of the feeding attractants by the olfactory system and the release of the appropriate feeding behaviour. As a result there is an increase in the general “readiness” of the fish to feed so that on the addition of the commercial pellets the food is readily consumed. This approach has a number of advantages, the most important being that the feeding attractants are not surface coated on the feeds and are therefore not consumed. This reduces the potential for bioaccumulation of the compounds and a significant reduction in tissue residues. In addition, it can be argued that because the fish does not consume the feeding attractants, then they can be considered not to be food additives and as such are not covered by existing legislation. However, this needs to be confirmed by all the main aquaculture producing countries.

Feeding attractants and formulations have been developed for a number of key aquaculture species and preliminary commercial feeding trials have now been completed with these products. These fish and shellfish species studies are the European cod (Gadus morhua), tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus), crucian carp (Carassius carassius) and the whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei), which have been tested in hatcheries and production facilities in Norway, China and Thailand.

The principal findings from the commercial are as follows:

European Cod (Gadus morhua)

The trial was conducted at the Stolt Sea Farm A/S pre-ongrowing facility at Tustna in Norway over a 3-month period. The feeding attractant formulation was applied as a liquid formulation to the tank 5 minutes prior to feeding. At the end of the 3-month study there was a significant difference in the final weights of the different groups of juvenile cod. The feeding attractant group had the highest mean weight (25.8 g) compared to the two control groups (23.2 g) and (23.4 g). The feeding attractant group also had a better growth rate (SGR- 1.95 % day-1) than the two controls (SGR -1.85 % day-1 and 1.83 % day-1). In addition this group required the application of 10% less feed than the control groups suggesting better feed utilization in these fish.

Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus).

The trial was conducted between April and November 2006 at a commercial tilapia farm in Zhouhai, China. 14,500 juvenile tilapia, (mean size 2.5 cm) were stocked into each of 4 growing on ponds (6.3 mu) at a density of 1711 fish/mu. Subsequently, every 14 days the mean weight of 30 fish was measured. The application of the feeding attractant produced a 17% increase in the average weight of the tilapia compared to the control pond. The application of the feeding attractant also increased the growth rate of the tilapia allowing the farmer to start harvesting 3 weeks earlier than the control pond. In addition, it was noted that in the pond treated with the feeding attractant the fish appeared healthier, the water quality was better and the secondary crop of Litopenaeus vannamei was significantly higher with less incidence of disease. Overall, the farmer received a 50% higher income from the treated pond compared to the control pond.

Crucian Carp (Carassius carassius)

The trial was conducted between May and October 2006 at a commercial crucian carp farm in Dafeng, China. A total of 2000 juvenile crucian carp (mean weight 29.5g) were stocked into each of 8 growing-on ponds (each pond 2mu). Subsequently, every 14 days the mean weight of 30 fish was measured. At the end of the study the feeding attractant group had the highest mean weight (153.8 ± 2.56g) compared to the control group (130.1 ± 1.75g).

Whiteleg Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei)

The trial was conducted in Tradt, south east Thailand over a 3 month period. Ponds, 4 rai in size, were used for the trial and each stocked with 640,00 post larvae shrimp. The feeding attractant was applied coated to a commercial shrimp feed. The mean weight of 300 shrimp from each of the ponds was subsequently measured on five occasions during the 90 days. The application of the feeding attractant produced shrimp, which were 30% larger on average than the control shrimp and had a significantly faster rate of growth. Mean weight of the treated shrimp was 9.97 ± 1.94g compared to 7.17 ± 1.45 for the control group. In addition, less feed was required in the treated pond probably due to increased feeding by the shrimp. This was reflected in a lower food conversion rate (FCR) at harvest than the control pond.

Although the results of the preliminary growth trials with the feeding attractants appears to be encouraging it should be recognised that there can be significant variations in the growth rates of fish even in similar pond systems. However, further trials are being carried out to replicate the original tests and obtain further information on the efficacy of the pheromone-based feeding attractants for sustainable aquaculture.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:03 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have never heard of that but 6$ for a four pack ..... i think ill stick with zoom ..... im not tryin to be a downer but what about the helicopter lure
Old 03-04-09, 04:02 PM   #4
swimbaitkid

Default classic

I went to the bassmaster classic and these guys made a worm that glow under black light they say it is what fish see, they were trying to sell 1 worm for $10, I dont know about you but i think that is a scam, i asked them if there 1 worm bags were sample bags and they said it was $10
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 04:07 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
i have never heard of that but 6$ for a four pack ..... i think ill stick with zoom ..... im not tryin to be a downer but what about the helicopter lure
Yup, I'll stay with the zoom too! Pricy stuff they got!
Old 03-04-09, 05:02 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

ok i read about them in FLW ..... if you believe it you can buy it.... tell us how it works out
Old 03-04-09, 05:15 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

when I first saw Gulp!, I thought, who would pay that much for soft plastics, them I tried them. I still don't have many, but they work great.

As for pheromones, I don't think they're a hype. Pheromones are a scientifically proven things. As for them being in the platics, that may be a hype. Mustad has a pheromone attractant too, I may try some of that.

BB
Old 03-04-09, 05:54 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

still havent tried the gulp but my friend has some and i cant wait to try it
Old 03-04-09, 08:17 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i'm not too much for berkley..i've got there scale.. and two broken berkley rods..
Old 03-04-09, 09:52 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

my berkely scale is great.... my bionixs ar great .... you really have to try to brake rods
Old 03-04-09, 09:52 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

thats commin from me who sets the hook like a madman
Old 03-04-09, 10:11 PM   #12
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

Will catch the fisherman not sure about a fish.
Old 03-04-09, 10:26 PM   #13
rangerryan

i bought some of that cologne that is advertised in the back of the field and stream it is supposed to have pheramones in it that drive women crazy and i can say from experience that it drives my wife crazy but maybe im just that good looking.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 10:28 PM   #14
rangerryan

just kidding ive never purchased it.... i think that its a bunch of bs. but some guys need the help. just like the guys who will buy trigger x. hahaha
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:47 AM   #15
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i set hooks like a mad man too..haha
Old 03-08-09, 05:05 PM   #16
clydes02
BassFishin.Com Member

Can you say fishbites a saltwater bait and they work. Ive tryed them in freshwater to and the brem and bluegills shinners perch all went crazy for it bloodworms is the best.When they were feeding i didnt know the lake had some of the fish that were comeing up might try on crappie and bass.
clydes02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.