Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-05-09, 05:15 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hinged jig head?

I was at wally world yesterday checking out some of the new items they have stocked. They had a pack of football jig heads that I had not seen before. Rather than being all one piece, the hook is attached to the jig head on an U. It more or less is like having a swivel between the jig head and the hook. What applications would that be used for?
Luckily I had my anti-bait monkey repellant on. (I was with my wife) so I did not make any rash purchaces.
Old 03-05-09, 08:00 PM   #2
woody

I've seen some new Bladed baits that were flexible right before the hook. This blade maker makes the claim that this will help by making it harder for the fish to throw the bait. This could be the reason for the Hinged Jig. Not for sure though.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:06 PM   #3
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i'v seen the ones with the flex not the hing think ill go to wallmart see if i can find them
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:08 PM   #4
CMorg

I believe their main purpose was for shakey head.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:44 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

could be for a shakey head like cmorg said but i was also thinking what woody suggested. i personally think it is a gimick and wouldn't be interested in it, and i am not saying this because i make jigs..........i just don't buy into the idea. as far back as i have been using jigs i can remember losing one fish on a jig. it was a giant that i lost right at the boat last summer but there were other factors that helped the fish get off. first thing was i was caught off guard and didn't get a good hookset because i made a really long cast and the mono line had way too much give..........that was my fault not the jigs. however i did get the fish to the boat where my wife pretty much used the net to beat him off of my jig. had i had a better hookset or better net man this fish wouldn't have gotten off and i would be saying that i don't ever remember loosing a fish on a jig. by the way the rod i was using that day wasn't my jig rod but it was just a spur of the moment thing, i wanted to keep football jigs tied on my jig rods so i tied a finesse jig on another rod that i use for a little of everything.

in my opinion you can only re-invent the wheel so many times and there isn't anything wrong with the mechanics of the jigs we have now. sure i am in favor of new head designs and stuff of that nature but a lot of the stuff we see is also to catch fisherman not fish.

hope i didn't offend you cass, this is just my opinion and Lord knows i have been wrong before.
Old 03-05-09, 08:55 PM   #6
cassidyta

No offense at all C-rig. It was something I hadn't seen and hadn't really considered buying them. The only advantage I would see to them is the full action it would give to a hand poured worm, especially the longer ones.
Old 03-05-09, 08:55 PM   #7
JB

I always heard it was to help prevent a bass shaking loose, I know the chatterbaits have this feature too...anything to help eh>
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 09:27 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I always heard it was to help prevent a bass shaking loose, I know the chatterbaits have this feature too...anything to help eh>
now chatterbaits and spinnerbaits i have more of a problem with losing fish.

knock on wood that the post i made above doesn't curse me and i end up losing jig fish all year and costing me money haha.
Old 03-07-09, 10:12 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I've seen some new Bladed baits that were flexible right before the hook. This blade maker makes the claim that this will help by making it harder for the fish to throw the bait. This could be the reason for the Hinged Jig. Not for sure though.

~Mark
That's what I've heard too, they say it's harder for the fish to throw the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.