Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-09, 06:52 PM   #1
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spooling new line

I just tried to spool two poles with new line and had major problems. I'm not sure what's going on. One pool was with 12lb mono Trilene XL Smooth on a setup that accepts 4-16lb test line and I spooled another with 12lb fluro Seaguar Red Abrasix on a setup that accepts 6-14lb test line. Both reels the line extremely fastly popped off while I was trying to tie a lure onto them. I ended up wasting about half of spool of 200 yard line of each just getting it spooled on there. Is anyone else having this problem because last year I didn't have a problem spooling line and now out of the blue the line is popping right off my reels. I'm not spooling them all the way to the top either, plenty of space. Do I need to let this line stay tight on my rod for a few days before the line gets situation on my reel or what? Pisses me off.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:02 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
12lb mono Trilene XL Smooth

this right here is the biggest problem..

i never did like trilene or stren..-and there is NO differance between them anymore..

zooker
Old 03-05-09, 07:10 PM   #3
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Yah man but it's doing it even with the Seguar red 12lb fluro. I wanted one pole with mono that's why I used trilene so I could use for spinners and topwaters. Fluro was gonna be for crankbaits and rippers and that sort of thing. I just don't get it though. I didn't have problems last year with putting line on. My setups will allow 12lb line...so I just don't see the problem besides the line might need time to situate on the reel and bend properly.
Old 03-05-09, 07:13 PM   #4
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

did you keep the line tight whan you spooled them and was the spool terned the right way
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:18 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Take a look at one of our Instructional Shorts for how to spool a spinning reel correctly. Many people overlook the physics of spooling line on a reel.

It's always good to leave some tension on your line right after spooling. It will take the line getting wet and cast a few times to where it won't just jump off the spool. I've heard some anglers pop their spool off and soak it for 10 minutes in warm water... this is supposed to take the memory out of the line so the line won't jump off the spool. I've never done this however. Probably doesn't work with fluorocarbon since fluoro doesn't absorb water (at least no where near as much as mono).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:18 PM   #6
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
did you keep the line tight whan you spooled them and was the spool terned the right way
I had the line spool in one of those new plano spool boxes. The line was coming from the top of the spool through my eyelets to my reel. I was spooling it on my line somewhat quickly but not real fast. Maybe I was spooling the line on a little loose and fast and it caused it to come off the spool when I was tying a lure on?
Old 03-05-09, 07:21 PM   #7
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

The only other thing is that my line might of went limp a little while trying to tie a lure onto the end of the line and I wasn't keeping enough tension on the line and since the line is new it spooled off my reel. It's kind of hard to tie a lure and keep a lot of tension on the line at the same time though.
Old 03-05-09, 07:36 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

are we talking about spinning reels? you didn't over fill them did you?
Old 03-05-09, 10:31 PM   #9
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That was going to be my question...baitcaster or spinning reel?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:34 PM   #10
bamabassman

i used kevin way to spool a spinning reel. it works. BUT for some reason dunno know why, lisa someow, gets the line twisted. it has to be the way she is flinging it. cause i can fling it, never twist, never.
Old 03-05-09, 10:35 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
this right here is the biggest problem..

i never did like trilene or stren..-and there is NO differance between them anymore..

zooker
I agree with the Trilene part. And I've notived Stren has been getting worse. I still think the Stren Super Knot mono is better than the original. Other than that, I use Sufix.

Try some KVD Line and Lure conditioner. Spool up your reel. Give it a couple squirts and let it sit over night. give it a couple more the next day. The more you can get in before you go fishing the better. I never use it right before fishing though. When I'm done fishing for the day I'll also spray my mono and fluoro line..

BB
Old 03-05-09, 11:09 PM   #12
woody

Hey Packman,

IF you are having this issue with a spinning reel, using those Plano spool boxes really is not the best way of doing this. That method causes line twist. Check out the video that Kevin mentioned Spooling a Spinning Reel Without Twists, this is how I learned the proper way of doing it.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 10:04 AM   #13
Bender

I spooled one up last night using Kevin's method and still had a little jump off right after I got done and started to tie a hook on, I think it is just the memory of the line.

On a side note the BPS fluoro spools are a real pain! The line keeps getting hung up on the keeper, I ended up putting a piece of tape over it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:05 AM   #14
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Hey Packman,

IF you are having this issue with a spinning reel, using those Plano spool boxes really is not the best way of doing this. That method causes line twist. Check out the video that Kevin mentioned Spooling a Spinning Reel Without Twists, this is how I learned the proper way of doing it.
~Mark
Most likely this is your problem. The line is twisting going on the reel. Also, you need to keep tension on the line while spooling, but not too much. Too much will create a rubber band effect.
Old 03-06-09, 01:58 PM   #15
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys. Obviously these are spinning reels I'm using. I'm going to check here in a little while and see if the line is going to come off when I try to make a cast. When it came off while tying a lure on yesterday it pretty much rubber banned on me (a bunch of line came off line a slinky and wouldn't stop until I had a mess). I don't know if that means I spooled it on a little too tight, if it's the memory of the line being put on a reel that's smaller than it's packaging spool, maybe there was line twist while spooling it on a little or what the case is. These reels are regular combo reels, nothing special...regular size. The 12lb might be on the bubble for line size or something. They are medium sized reels.
Old 03-06-09, 02:25 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanrocks View Post
Hey guys. Obviously these are spinning reels I'm using.
It's not obvious if you don't say it.

I'd say the line just needs to "re-set" to the diameter of the reel's spool, since it's probably different than the one it came on. Make sure there's no twist (see Kevin's video), put some tension on the line, but not a lot, and maybe try some line conditioner spray on it once it's on. Give it a couple days, and you should be fine.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 03:12 PM   #17
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Take your rods out in a boat and with Nothing on the end of the line, and keep letting line out as you troll, eventually the drag will be sufficient to peel off the rest of the line. When it's off the spool and down to the knot, troll the line a couple minutes and then apply a little pressure with thumb and forefinger as you reel it in. This gets rid of line twist and can be done several times a season. Next time....when loading from a spool, place the spool on the floor and point your rod toward the spool as you reel in, if the spool on the reel is loading in a counterclockwise direction, the spool on the floor should be feeding off the spool in the same counterclockwise direction. Even if you load it this way, it still can be good to troll the empty line for a couple minutes before reeling in.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 04:15 PM   #18
aikenyounggun

after you spool it up take the spool off and put it in hot water..... this will get the twist out
Old 03-06-09, 04:41 PM   #19
Bassboss

Do what the video said, than try what Aiken said, I have not tried it yet, but sounds like it would work!
Old 03-08-09, 08:45 AM   #20
fiker
BassFishin.Com Member

The video is the way to go. Two other cures for twist are: After I spool a reel, I hook the line to the fence, and walk across the yard. Putting tension on the line as I walk towards the fence and reel in. Works pretty well.
Also, with spinning reels, make sure to flip the bail back by hand, and not rely on the reel to close itself.
fiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.