Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-07-09, 10:16 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Trip to NetCraft and then Fishing.

We headed over to Net Craft to pick up a guide set for the crankbait rod my dad's building for himself. (If I like it when he's done, I'm going to build myself one with black yellow to match the Skeet Reese Revo...

Anyways, they had a free hat thing with a $20 purchase. So we also got a free hat. I had a gift certificate for there too so I picked up a Spro Little John in Clear Chartreuse, a couple packs of Gulp worms in the bargain bin for 3.50, and a pack of Swim Senkos for 4.50 in the bargain bin (normally 7.29). Overall, I think I controlled the money fairly well.

Then we went out to a local reservoir for a bit of fishing. We went over what we wanted to take. Our box of jerkbaits and one rod each...

Well... When we left the house, we had two rods each, the jerkbaits, some flukes and slug-go's, and a few dropshot baits, some Yum Dingers and my new swim senkos (to try out)

I started out fishing a BPS jerkbait, which I was not happy with at all. It is supposed to be a suspending one, but sank like a rock... I soon switched over to a Suspending rattlin' rogue in an weird color. It has a red back and a silver belly with orange/yelllow in between. And lots of little black stripes... Soon after switching I had a fairly hard hit after the first twitch. Fished some more with it then the dropshot, but no more bites...

My dad started with a glass clown Husky Jerk. No bites for him on that... We switched over to a 5" watermelon candy YUM dinger. Nothing...

So we had our one bite, but I got to try a few baits I had been wanting to try. One was the new Swim senko's. I rigged them on a 4/0 EWG hook. they swam purty good, but they could have used a weighted hook. I also got ttry my Chomper's 4" dropsht worms. WOW! These things have amazing action on the DS. I am definately getting more. I just wish they had them bigger than 4"

We may get to go fishing tomarrow to, so I may still get the first one this weekend.

BB
Old 03-07-09, 10:19 PM   #2
JB

Hey BB I hear ya, its just nice day for us oHIo anglers to get out and fish,
it was really way to windy here to fish, but about 72
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 10:29 PM   #3
bamabassman

good to hear ya'll finally got out bb. i hope to go again tomorrow as well. IF the wind dies down.
Old 03-07-09, 10:57 PM   #4
BigBassin144

JB, there was hardly any wind at all here. It was very windy yesterday though. It only got to about 53 today, but with no wind it was alright. We've got lots of rain and possible thunderstorms right now, tonight, and possible tomarrow. The rain should help bring the reservoir up a bit, the water was quite low.

BB
Old 03-07-09, 11:03 PM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I also got out today, i had 72 in the truck today, fished for 3.5 hours, and only had a couple hits on the dropshot... The water is still really cold, and most places had ice on them just 2 days ago, so the water can't be too warm yet.

Ryan
Old 03-07-09, 11:18 PM   #6
JB

rrw at least ya got to get out n wet a line, what kinda drop shot hook ya favor? thanks
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:35 PM   #7
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Hey BB I hear ya, its just nice day for us oHIo anglers to get out and fish,
it was really way to windy here to fish, but about 72
Same exact weather conditions here....I too fished for two hours without even a bite....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:45 PM   #8
rrw4258

I was throwing a Gammy Splitshot/Dropshot hook in black nickel size 1. Throwing it with about a 14" leader to a 3/16 Bass Pro Cylindrical dropshot weight. Strike King 4" Finesse worm in watermelon and green pumpkin...

Ryan

Old 03-07-09, 11:46 PM   #9
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I know what you mean about those BPS suspending jerkbaits. It doesn't matter what the water temp is, the damn things don't suspend.... I want to chuck the things! I love my suspending rogue's though.
Old 03-08-09, 07:46 AM   #10
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

i also went fishin.....extremely warn....about75... but all the little kiddies were at the lake, which was extremely low, and they were chuckin rocks in it....but atleast i got to practice flippin jigs to cover(a picnic table that somehow made its way about 15 feet offshore)
Old 03-08-09, 09:01 AM   #11
Jim80

I'm close to getting out here the weather is just warming up but most the lakes and ponds still have ice on them but the time is coming .

Jim
Old 03-08-09, 09:42 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I know what you mean about those BPS suspending jerkbaits. It doesn't matter what the water temp is, the damn things don't suspend.... I want to chuck the things! I love my suspending rogue's though.
I bought two, but what should I expect from baits that are 2.99... I'll see if they'll take them back because they said suspending... I know it changes with water temps, but as cold as the water is, the baits should float more than suspend, not sink like a rock... I was gonna tie a rock to it so it sank slower!

JB, I use the exact same hook as rrw. I'll use it in 1 or 1/0 depending on the size bait. If I'm fishing worms, or the really tiny flukes, I'll use the one. I step up to a 1/0 with senkos, gobies, etc that had a thick er body. I also use an Owner DS hooks when there are weeds. (1/0)

BB
Old 03-08-09, 09:57 AM   #13
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I went yesterday and got tons of hits but only got a crappie and a catfish.I did see a 15 or 20 pound carp go compltetely airborn a couple of times.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.