Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-04-11, 06:01 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default humminbird 797c2

Well I found a si unit that I think was a deal to good to pass up. I got a 797c2 with navionics, and gps for $525. It has a nick in the screen in the top left corner, that the seller says does not effect operation. Before buying I called humminbird about repairs $200 will repair the head unit if i choose and get a 90 day warranty. So even if I have to have it repaired i'll only have $725 in the unit.

Doing the math on purchasing a new one if i get the 798 (this years version of the 797) and add the navionics, and gps it'll cost around $1100.

I guess what i'm wanting is some assurance i got a good deal, and probably some help with mounting and setup
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:40 AM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

well, id run it like it is as long as it works and call it a day...lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:52 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The 798 does have a faster processor, but it does sound like a decent deal.
Old 02-05-11, 12:11 PM   #4
doc

any advice on transcucer mounting. Going to put it on the transom, the boat is a 18ft aluminum G3 with a 115 yamaha (no jack plate)
Old 02-06-11, 05:47 PM   #5
doc

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0003.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	6229

Here is a photo of what I have to work with, the trim is 3/4 of the way down. We get alot of interference where the current transducer is located, and the SI one would not have a clear shot left and right there anyway. I was thinking just to the right of the centerline, just enough for the motor to clear if trimmed all the way down (I'm hoping it will get a clear shot trimmed all the way down but i don't have the ducer to measure yet.) Was wondering about interference from the bottom v down there. Also does the Si unit have to be below the bottom of the boat, or can it be mounted up on the transom some (as long as the view is clear, right, left, and straight down), for some sort of protection?
Old 02-06-11, 11:37 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Doc,

The side imaging transducer looks out in a straight line to the sides, not a cone like typical transducer pattern. So as long as it has a clear shot to the right and left (and down of course), you should be fine down near the bottom V. You might get a little trail of bubbles entrained down there, which will show up as a slight blur, but it'll be on the "surface" of your scan, where you're not really looking anyway. (I get a little of this on my boat...not a big problem).

Yes, it can be mounted above the bottom of the transom. Many, if not most SI users actually put it there (or on their jackplate), since the transducer is expensive to replace after hitting a stump, and because its high-speed 2D can be a bit unpredictable. It seems like if any bubbles get entrained under the boat, they go right to the transducer, and you get nothing until you get back off plane again. Get a standard 2D ducer for high-speed running and use a transducer switch. I hope to get one installed later this year.
Old 02-07-11, 01:23 PM   #7
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have mine about where you do in the picture but a litle higher. works fine. i didnt set it up to work on plane though. i got another one for that.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.