Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-11-09, 10:18 PM   #1
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Gander Mountain rods?

Well after losing a set in the lake today and breaking two other rods I headed up to Gander to see about replaceing or fixing the rods. Ahter looking around I got interested in their name rods. Has anyone used these here and if so howed they work for you? Looking for a 7' M for 8-12 foot crankin. Also after looking around on the internet I have come to the conclusion that sending my Falcon Cara deep diver in to get fixed would not be worth it. Its a 7'3" and about 2" broke off. Do ya'll think if I put a new tip on it I would lose much action? One more question. My H&H rod lost an insert in one of the eyes. Are these hard to fix and where would I find good ones, preferable the same ones that are on it?
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 11:40 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your Falcon will lose a little with a new tip.

The GMt rods are IM6 or IM8 blanks for the most part. Don't know how well they work for cranking.

I'd find a local repair shop and have it done. You can get replacements if you know what the originals are but I'd still get it repaired by a professional.
Old 04-12-09, 12:18 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I actually bought and modified a gander mountain sea trout rod for my small baitcaster, I really liked it a lot. Broke 2 inches off the tip and now its not as good but still a decent rod. I have no complaints.
Old 04-12-09, 12:27 AM   #4
keithdog

I have a 7 foot Gander Mountain Guide Series IM7 graphite rod in medium heavy that I have used for several years and I really like it. I've had that rod for probably 8 years now and never had any trouble with it. Still holding up strong. I use it for my pitchin/flippin rod. I get a good sense of feel in that rod blank. I'm not sure if it is still the case now, but back when I bought the rod, Gander had a life time guarentee on their rods with free replacement should one ever break. In fact, I caught a 7 pounder on that rod today!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 09:28 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've never used Gander Mtn. rods, but when we were there, there was a guy with a handle full of some that were on sale. he had about 6 of them. and he only bought one reel...

anyways, You will lose a bit of action on the falcon cara, but I don't think it should effect it too much.

For replacing the guide, that's another story. It is a bit of work to do it properly, and you need some knowledge of rod building and the right tools. I don't know what kind of guides are on there, but theck out www.jannsnetcraft.com for any kind you can think of. You can send it somewhere, but with the shipping costs of the rod, I don't know if it would be worth it if the rod isn't too expensive.

BB
Old 04-12-09, 12:59 PM   #6
dietz31684
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a 6'6" Medium GM Guide Pro Select IM8 series rod, it is very nice. I had the plastic insert come out of the guide on the front guide (my fault for reeling a bullet weight all the way in and popped the plastic insert out) and GM replaced it no questions. This being said I fish mostly soft plastic, have not used a crank too much with this rod.
dietz31684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 02:41 PM   #7
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replys. I didnt look at them close enough to tell they had plastic guides. I just figured for $100 they would use the higher end stuff on them.
Old 04-13-09, 08:34 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Honestly, I don't think they us plastic guides. Since you said thet cost 100 bucks, I'm assuming you're talking about the Ultimate titanium Trigger series rods. These, in fact, have Fuji Alconite guides. Which for cranking with mono or fluoro are perfectly fine.

I don't think any rods are made with plastic guides. most likely, they are ceramic.

BB
Old 04-13-09, 11:42 AM   #9
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubbockFisher View Post
...My H&H rod lost an insert in one of the eyes. Are these hard to fix and where would I find good ones, preferable the same ones that are on it?
LubbockMikeLeachFan,

IF you still have the insert you may be able to effect a self-repair as follows. Clean both the insert AND the inner ring of the frame with alcohol...thoroughly.
Using a toothpick, apply G'Glue to the inside "track" of the ring then press the insert into place. Wipe off any excess. After two hours or so, again with a toothpick, apply a ring of glue outside the frame, just touching the insert. Use a fingertip to gently smooth it and avoid getting the glue inside the insert.
This has worked VERY well for me and others to whom I recommended it.
Second approach: If you lost the insert and the guide is the single-foot type you should be able to work it out the wrap without damaging or stretching the wrap. Once that's done you can replace it with the appropriate size and type of new guide by using a toothpick to gently force some G'Glue into the little pocket of the wrap, then adding a abit of G'Glue to the foot of the guide (just the tip of the foot) and gently forcing into the wrap until snug. NO side-to-side or twisting when you're removing the damaged guide or inserting the new one! Allow a small but neat amount of glue to remain at the opening of the wrap. After a few hours you should be good to go. I've used that remedy when a guide gets pulled out and it's never failed me OR the others who've tried it.
Do not use super glues as they will fail under stress.
Good luck and let us know if you try one of the two options...I prefer #2.

Lancer6
Oh, BTW, BOOMER SOONER!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 12:03 PM   #10
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I've never tried any of the Gander products but I own several Falcon rods...How mush can it cost to send it back to Falcon to be repaired..? I know that rod should have a ltd lifetime warranty and I'm sure they would work with you to fix or replace it.....there are a lot of nice rods out there, I think the Cara would be worth saving....
Old 04-13-09, 01:40 PM   #11
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bought a 7' M split grip baitcasting rod at Gander a few weeks ago. Don't remember the model. This is the first Gander Mtn rod I've tried, and I haven't used it a whole lot yet but so far I like it. It's light and sensitive enough that I'm sure I will work well with light plastics. It's a little stiff for serious cranking but I think I got my money's worth at $60.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 04:25 PM   #12
WTL

My $50 something GM rod has ceramic guides.
Old 04-13-09, 09:25 PM   #13
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the gander mountain rods are great. i have been buying there rods for years
Old 04-14-09, 08:35 AM   #14
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Well thanks for all the info. I got Gander to replace the Falcon rod and found someone local to fix the H&H. The GM rod I was refering to is the Titanium rod. Went ahead and bought a 7' M and a Revo STX to put on it. If the rod doesnt suit me Ill buy another Falcon Cara for the divers. This is my first Revo. I have a Curado and a Fluger Patriarch so thought Id give a Revo a try.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.