Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-09, 07:45 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Too many choices.

Hey guys. I recently starting working for my dad and now I have a bit more money coming in. . Most of it is going to gas and insurance when my truck is done, but I'd like to get another combo before the get together.

I normally, like I said in another thread, save up most of the year and get one combo per year since I personally like to use expensive tackle. This won't be anytime soon, most likely closer to the get together.

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 2 reels and about 4 rods. This is mainly going to be for throwing light jigs and t-rigs. maybe light c-rigs as well. I'm getting this rod to I can switch the 6'6" MH I use for spinnerbaits/t-rigs to all apinnerbaits.

Reels

Shimano Curado or Shimano Citica. if I can find a good deal on eBay on the curado, I'm getting it. So I really need help with the rod part...

Rods

Falcon Cara 6'8" MH
Kistler Magnesium TS 6'9" MH
Shimano Crucial 6'8" MH
Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH

These rods range form 159.99 to 199.99. If I can find a really good deal on the Curado, I'd like to get the Cumara rod. if I can't find a good deal, I don't really know. any advice?

Thanks,
BB
Old 03-30-09, 07:54 PM   #2
Bassboss

I got a friend that recently got the Citica and Curado, I've used them both and must say the Curado is very impressive, very light, very smooth! the Citica is not as light, and not quite as smooth. Personally if I would get one it would have to be the Citica, only because of price though (it's gonna be my next reel for sure!), if price was not an issues, than go with the Curado!

Sorry, can't help you with the rod as you probably know! But personally, I would go with a 7' rod!

Good luck bud! Have fun at the get together!
Old 03-30-09, 08:26 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah i have fished some older curados and they are great.... not really sure about the rods... but i agree with bassboss.... might want to get a 7 footer.... will be better for the jigs and c-rigs.... just my personal opinion... ddefinately for deeper fishin or heavier baits
Old 03-30-09, 09:09 PM   #4
MIbasser

BB, I would think about this rod if you are going for Falcon rods.

Cara Casting CC-5-1610S Cara Finesse Jig--Split grip MH F 9 10-20 lb. 3/16 to 5/8 oz. 6' 10" 10" $179.99
This Cara features a split rear cork for even lighter weight. Use it for finesses jigs.

As for the reel, I had a Citica for about a month this winter. Didn't like the way it felt, thought it was over priced. It just seemed like it's made from cheap parts (just MY opinion). I ended up going with the Revo SX.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 11:35 PM   #5
cassidyta

don't rule out craigslist on the reels. I know this is not in toledo, but you may find some out your way too
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/1099855353.html
Old 03-31-09, 01:22 AM   #6
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hello BB144, how's the fishin in '09 so far? Anyway I have a 2 year old
Curado 7:1 and it's a beauty. It was made in Japan and the fit, finish and quality is 5 stars for the $200 price point. I have heard mixed reviews on the new green Curado. First are complaints about al the plastic used to lighten it up and lower the price. Second, guys are saying the quality is just not there.On the other hand I read good reviews too. I like all your rod choices, though. You might want to do more research on reels. How about the BPS J. Morris Elite series reel. every reviewer absolutely raves about them. I just ordered one (on sale $179)and I'll let you know.

Hookset
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 01:28 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Big B, check out tacklewarehouse.com . They have some Chronarcs for sale for 186.99, I think, but I know it's close. I know they are a little older model, but still a good reel to say the least. I know it don't help, but they had some Kistlers on sale at Gander Mnt the other day for $125 in the helium series models, I still think it was a typo, but they said reg $260, so who knows. Maybe some one let the air out of 'em. Wish I would have had the extra money though for them.
Old 03-31-09, 08:52 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post
Curado 7:1 and it's a beauty. It was made in Japan and the fit, finish and quality is 5 stars for the $200 price point. I have heard mixed reviews on the new green Curado. First are complaints about al the plastic used to lighten it up and lower the price. Second, guys are saying the quality is just not there.On the other hand I read good reviews too. I like all your rod choices, though. You might want to do more research on reels. How about the BPS J. Morris Elite series reel. every reviewer absolutely raves about them. I just ordered one (on sale $179)and I'll let you know.

Hookset
They're great if you're talking about the gold series, just a wee bit heavy IMO, that's why I'm gonna get a lighter rod , also the berkly rod I have is not well balanced--heavier at the tip than at the butt!
Old 03-31-09, 08:53 AM   #9
doc

revo and a carrot stix
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 01:29 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post

Hookset
I've never really paid much attention to shimano until the new reels came out. I personally do not like the last model curado. One, the reel is too big. I prefer a a lower profile. Two, they were a bit expensive. three, I tihnk I've heard more bad tihngs about the older model than the new one.

I have a johnny morris signature reel. I do really like this reel, but like the older curado, it is a bit bigger an heaver than some of the lower profile reels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
They're great if you're talking about the gold series, just a wee bit heavy IMO, that's why I'm gonna get a lighter rod , also the berkly rod I have is not well balanced--heavier at the tip than at the butt!
bassboss, the Elite is the blue one, but it still is a pretty good deal. and like I said, they are a bit heavy. I've never used a berkley rod, but I have the same problem with BPS rods...

For a reel, I do think i am going to go with a shimano. I love my revo and my daiwa, but I keep hearing so many good things about shimano, I just have to try one.

BB
Old 03-31-09, 01:52 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

yeah revos are great... i love the SX and STXs
Old 03-31-09, 03:49 PM   #12
3dkicker

Buy the reel, fill it with line, then test out the rods with a weight and hook and bait (bring these with you) and determine which one you like the best.
Old 03-31-09, 03:54 PM   #13
BigBassin144

the problem is, the only one Ican look at at my BPS is the Shimano Crucial. They don't carry Falcon or Kister in store. I don't tihnk they have the Cumara either. I can look at them at Net Craft though.

BB
Old 04-01-09, 07:10 PM   #14
Love of the Sport

Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH
I own 2 of these and would not trade them for anything.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 02:59 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

this year i bought the falcon cara head turner and i love it. it is really sensitive, has tons of power and paired with a revo sx it will cast a mile. i throw a lot of football heads on it but have even used it to pitch around docks where i need a shorter rod.

i throw most of my finesse jigs on a falcon original fc5-17. it's a 7' mh rod that handles finesse jigs great and i also throw football jigs on it from time to time.

my vote is for a falcon without a doubt.
Old 04-04-09, 10:36 AM   #16
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
the problem is, the only one Ican look at at my BPS is the Shimano Crucial. They don't carry Falcon or Kister in store. I don't tihnk they have the Cumara either. I can look at them at Net Craft though.

BB

That's too bad because if you order one and don't like it then what?

I thought BPS sold Falcon and Kistler? You should be able to talk to the manager and see if they can get a few in store. If he/she can't then.....well maybe that's why I rarely buy from BPS. I normally just visit BPS to look around. I buy custom or at the winter shows that way I can see what I'm paying for.
Old 04-04-09, 04:42 PM   #17
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

get a pflueger patriarch narrow spool.8 ounces and built on the same frame as a revo.there is no reel made that casts better imho.has a titanium depostion finish which will last a long long time.
Old 04-04-09, 11:31 PM   #18
The Doc

If you like higher quality stuff, start looking at custom built rods. There are 2 local rodmakers here in NC that I like, and you can call them and chat about what you want and they will have or build you EXACTLY what you want. Check out:
www.custombassrods.com <-----JB customs rods are the best I've ever used.
www.skeetsfishingrods.com <----- also makes great rods. Jeffrey Thomas uses skeets rods.
All in all, they are about the same price range you are looking at, too. And for a reel, I'd recommend a Revo over the newer Curado. You might want to take a gander at the Quantum PT's also.
Old 04-05-09, 01:20 PM   #19
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Check out:
www.custombassrods.com <-----JB customs rods are the best I've ever used.
Very good person to buy from. Makes a good product. Chatted with him for a while last year at the Federicksburg show. Put him and his crew on a great BBQ spot in the area.
Old 04-06-09, 02:19 AM   #20
hookset on 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've never really paid much attention to shimano until the new reels came out. I personally do not like the last model curado. One, the reel is too big. I prefer a a lower profile. Two, they were a bit expensive. three, I tihnk I've heard more bad tihngs about the older model than the new one.

I have a johnny morris signature reel. I do really like this reel, but like the older curado, it is a bit bigger an heaver than some of the lower profile reels.

bassboss, the Elite is the blue one, but it still is a pretty good deal. and like I said, they are a bit heavy. I've never used a berkley rod, but I have the same problem with BPS rods...

For a reel, I do think i am going to go with a shimano. I love my revo and my daiwa, but I keep hearing so many good things about shimano, I just have to try one.

BB
Hey BB and BB144, the one I ordered is the blue Elite model. I haven't read anything negative sbout it in the 2 years it's been out.
Anyway Big 144 what Shimano are you looking at?
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 08:41 AM   #21
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a Curado paired with a Falcon Cara 7'-2" H Cara with a balancer on the end of the rod and use it mostly for jigs and t-rigs....one of the best set ups I've ever had.....
Old 04-07-09, 01:48 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Like I said in my bPS thread, Ialmost had my mind made up about the curado. I was 99% sure I was gonna get it. then I asked to see the new Quantum Energy... MISTAKE! my first though was, wow this thing is a lot nicer than the old ones!

So, now I have to decide between it and the Curado. I am still leaning towards the curado more though....

As for the rod, If I can find a Cumara on ebay for a decent price, I'll get it. If not, I think I'm going with the Kister Magnesium.

Thanks for the helps guys.

BB
Old 04-07-09, 01:59 PM   #23
Love of the Sport

I don't know anything about the Kistler, but the Cumara does not dissappoint.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 02:19 PM   #24
jasonfish320

I own 2 Citica's one is a few years old and the other is still in the box for the '09 season...they are great reels for the price, I paired my new citica with a Grandt 6'6 MH Golden Supreme Series.
Old 04-08-09, 04:57 PM   #25
BassinID

I know it wasn't in your list of options, but thus far I am extremely pleased with the 6'9" carrot stix ltx by e21, they weight less than four oz! and you can get them for about 150
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.