Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-09, 01:34 PM   #1
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Spinnerbait trailer hook

I have been hearing good things about using the new double frog hooks like the one from tru tungsten for a spinnerbait trailer hook. It is said that they won't roll sideways as a single hook. Has anyone used this method or have any advice?
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 02:14 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi BassinID... while I haven't used a tandem frog hook as a spinnerbait trailer, I would think it would snag much more than a single (standard) trailer hook. It's an interesting thought, however, especially for open water situations like when fishing for smallmouth. I'd be interested to hear about any experiments with it in open water, but I'm fairly certain the single trailer hook should be the "go to" in most largemouth applications. Be sure to leave your spinnerbait trailer hook freely swinging. Don't place the small rubber tube over the trailer hook's eye, but rather just put it on the main spinnerbait hook after putting on the trailer hook. Leaving your trailer hook freely swinging is what will allow you to catch more fish and not lose as many.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 03:38 PM   #3
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I've heard about that method but haven't used it myself....I would think mybe even using blood red trailer hooks my be even more enticing....I plan on giving it a go and will be posting results...
Old 04-08-09, 04:37 PM   #4
BassinID

Thanks Kevin, I always put the rubber tubing on the eye and had a poor catch to strike ratio, now I think I know why. I will give that a go before spending 5 bucks on two of the double hooks, its just a little expensive if you're not fishing for cash.
Old 04-08-09, 04:47 PM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You have to come up with a good method of securing the frog hook. It does not have an eye. The opening is more like a horseshoe.
Old 04-08-09, 06:19 PM   #6
Jim80

been using the strike king spinner trailer hooks for awhile now I know i could make little plastic rings up myself but i'm lazy so have not done it yet , If ya find a way to secure the frog hook let me know .

Jim
Old 04-08-09, 06:32 PM   #7
BassinID

the tru tungsten ones look like they should work fine, and gamakatsu may work if the eye isn't too big.
Old 04-08-09, 06:39 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know some guys prefer to use a trailer hook with spinnerbaits, but honestly, I never use one. I never have, and I do not remember ever loosing a fish because of not using one. I usually use a twister grub as a trailer, and I think the fish strike at that grub and thus take in the main hook every time.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:40 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sometimes i use a trailer hook, and most times i forget to use it,lmao.
Old 04-08-09, 09:23 PM   #10
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The way I choose if i'm gonna use a trailer hook or not is to hold the spinner in my hand in the upright position just like it would be in the water and let the blades hang down. If the hook goes past the top bar where the outer blade is mounted I don't use a trailer and if it doesn't go that far I do. Now I usually won't buy a spinner with a short hook but sometimes I have too to get certian paint schemes on blade colors.
I like to know when big fish eats the whole bait that the blades will fold down and there will be a hook there waiting to do its duty.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:30 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Quote:
I know some guys prefer to use a trailer hook with spinnerbaits, but honestly, I never use one. I never have, and I do not remember ever loosing a fish because of not using one. I usually use a twister grub as a trailer, and I think the fish strike at that grub and thus take in the main hook every time.
ME TOO! I don't use a trailer hook and I like the Yamamoto twin tail grub as a trailer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.