Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-16-09, 10:06 PM   #1
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Shore Fishing and Drop Shotting

As the title so eloquently states, what are the recommended techniques for fishing the Drop Shot while fishing from shore. Most of the ponds I frequent have about a foot of water or two sloping out to up to 6-10 feet of water and when I cast out a drop shot rig, it seems that it is almost working like a carolina rig. I mean that it seems that to feel what is going on I have to lift the bait off the bottom and in doing so I have to lift the sinker which isn't part of a drop-shot technique. Should I be keeping my rod tip up more and no slack in the line in order to keep in contact with the bottom but still get the action or is shore fishing the drop-shot not gonna work as it is supposed to?
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 10:50 PM   #2
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had the same experience using the drop shot from shore. I haven't had the chance to experiment with it much, but from what I know there should be no slack in the line. My best guess is that it's either the sinker bouncing off of structure on the bottom or you need to shorten the length of line between the sinker and the hook.

I'd love to hear some more experienced guys answer this one.
windycitybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:53 PM   #3
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I think I'm getting what you're saying. Here's what I do. Pitch your bait out or whatever and let the sinker sink. Once you know it's on bottom, reel your line until it's tight and just drop your rod so there is a little bit of slack, but don't move the sinker. Now repeat and just shake the worm on a slack line, but you probably don't want to over-work it. Just experiment.

The idea is to have the sinker holding the bait over one position, and then shaking the bait on a slack line in that position.

I wouldn't worry about what you are feeling under water. Just be sure the worm is suspended and all you've got to feel is the bite.

Am I missing the question?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 12:55 AM   #4
cassidyta

I fish a lot of smaller water much like you described. I think jooleyen described it pretty well. I do change two things when I am in the smaller waters. I go to a heavier sinker. I do this because you are so limited in the locations that I can actually drop shot. I want to maximize that small window of opportunity and try to keep the weight in contact with the bottom.
I will also usually lengthen my leader. Depending on the water clarity and ground cover I may make it as much as 18 inches. I am not as worried about the fish suspending at right at the bottom when the deepest point is only 6 or 8 foot. Since most ponds will have more sediment and junk on the bottom without much moving wate, I want to get the bait a little higher since the weight is more likely to sink into the mud or weeds. (depending on your pond)
Old 04-17-09, 03:01 AM   #5
islandbass

Ahhh, so you are finding out it is not a purely vertical presentation. Good for you! When working from the shore, one of the most productive ways to fish a drop shot is to work it similarly to a carolina rig, and by that I mean, work it, dead stick it, and drag it to the next location. There might be times the weight gets stuck and you will be forced to pop it free and that might mean the weight will temporaily be out of contact with the ground. No problem here.

Jooleyen wrote:
"I think I'm getting what you're saying. Here's what I do. Pitch your bait out or whatever and let the sinker sink. Once you know it's on bottom, reel your line until it's tight and just drop your rod so there is a little bit of slack, but don't move the sinker. Now repeat and just shake the worm on a slack line, but you probably don't want to over-work it. Just experiment. "

Couldn't have said it better. Working a semi slack line is the key for me most of the time.

Knowing whether your chosen bait floats or sinks can be helpful too. A sinking bait is easier to dangle on a semi slack line. In water where you can see the bottom clearly, drop your bait down and have some slack in your line and observe the fall rate of your bait. You will probably see your bait descend to the bottom. Now right before or some time before the bait hits the bottom, slighty raise or twitch your rod to make the bait "pop" back up in such a way that your weight stays on the ground. Look at all of the life that gives the bait, with the line semi slack. You can twitch your bait at any time in that zone from where the line is taut to where the bait is on or near the bottom.

The reason I recommended that you do this is so that you can see exactly what your bait is doing so that when it is out there where you can't see it, you will have an idea of what it is doing.

As for the location of the rod tip, it really depends. How so? It needs to be in a position that allows the line to be semi slack. When your bait is far from you, it might be in a higher position and it will likely get lower as the bait gets closer to you.
Old 04-17-09, 08:54 AM   #6
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

island bass mentioned deadsticking.....good point. it's a good idea to occasionally just let the weightless lure fall slowly to the bottom and sit for a bit..... it's a great way to get certain fish to bite....particularly the lethargic ones. a lot of folks overwork the action and forget that a bait laying on the bottom, motionless becomes an intruder to territorial bass. both action and non action can be effective......a weightless worm can work effectively when action is imparted.....also during a slow fall, and lastly, laying on bottom....i try to use all three during a retrieve. Hope this helps, Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.