Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-06, 12:49 PM   #1
baitcast23
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool line choices

what is the best kind of line to use with a baitcaster. the only one i have tried is stren 10 pound test.
baitcast23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 01:03 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Depends on the application. For lures with trebel hooks I use 12 lb green Trilene XL. For soft jerkbaits and stickbaits I use 12 lb Seguar Carbom Pro flourocarbon and for worms and jigs I like 50 lb Powerpro braid.

If I had to choose one I'd go with 12 lb mono.
Old 06-11-06, 02:27 PM   #3
zooker

ya were not trying much were ya?? a good mono -other than stren- probly go with ande,cajun red,calcutta fresh water..

zooker
Old 06-11-06, 04:57 PM   #4
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitcast23
what is the best kind of line to use with a baitcaster. the only one i have tried is stren 10 pound test.
Well, that ain't it. If you insist on mono, go with 12# Trilene Sensation or Cajun Red. Want the best, go with PowerPro Braid, 30#. Good all around weight.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 05:29 PM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mono - McCoy's
Braind - I don't like it.
Fluerocarbon - don't really like it either, except as leader material on a dropshot or carolina rig.
All around favorite (at this time) is Yozuri Hybrid extra soft. Some of the benifit of Flurocarbon, low stretch and good abrasion resistance.
I've recently seen many favorable comments on Cajun Red which interests me, as I did try it 2 years ago and was terribly disapointed. Had terrible memory, bad casting and I couldn't get it off my reels and into the trash can fast enough. Has the formulation been changed and it's now better than it was? I am surprised at all the favorable comments - based on my experience with it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 09:38 PM   #6
Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman
Mono - McCoy's
Braind - I don't like it.
Fluerocarbon - don't really like it either, except as leader material on a dropshot or carolina rig.
All around favorite (at this time) is Yozuri Hybrid extra soft. Some of the benifit of Flurocarbon, low stretch and good abrasion resistance.
I've recently seen many favorable comments on Cajun Red which interests me, as I did try it 2 years ago and was terribly disapointed. Had terrible memory, bad casting and I couldn't get it off my reels and into the trash can fast enough. Has the formulation been changed and it's now better than it was? I am surprised at all the favorable comments - based on my experience with it.
Just curious, what braid did you try and how long did you use it? Why didnt you like it?
As far as the bad memory in line, hit it with some Real Magic.No more memory.
Flourocarb works well for crankbaits.
JMO

Charles
Old 06-11-06, 09:46 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Hey Bassboss-if you haven't tried it give KVD line and lure a look. If you like Reel Magic you wil LOVE this stuff!
Old 06-12-06, 01:02 AM   #8
Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Hey Bassboss-if you haven't tried it give KVD line and lure a look. If you like Reel Magic you wil LOVE this stuff!
Now Reb..You know they(TTI/Daiichi/Blakemore) are one of my sponsors. How would that look, me stepping out on them like that?

Seriously though.Is it THAT good?
Old 06-12-06, 11:59 AM   #9
bassboogieman

Quote:
Just curious, what braid did you try and how long did you use it? Why didnt you like it?
Tried spiderwire and the Stren on several occasions to try and convince myself that braid is a good thing - hasn't happened. Why I don't like it: Here in the Northeast heavy vegatation isn't a serious problem and fish over 4lbs are not the norm - they are here, for sure, but not the normal fish - so I don't need line over 20#. It's very visible and I don't like adding leaders with knots or swivels, just a personal quirk that I don't like knots in my line. I don't like trying to cut braid, have to carry scissors, can't bite through it. It's a PITA when you get hung up, will cut you easily and forget about breaking it off. And finally and most importantly for me, I use high-end rods mostly - light, sensitive AND expensive (for me anyway). Using the new light rods gives up a little in durability (they are good tools but admitably more fragile) over older heavier (ie: sturdier) rods, and I have heard of many individuals breaking their (high-end of various brands) rods on hook sets, etc. I don't have documented proof, but in my opinion putting 50# or 80# line on rods rated for 20# - 25# is a contributing factor. I believe it over stresses the rod, so I don't do it. I use line that is a bit forgiving (some stretch) and do not use line above the rods stated rating, and I haven't broken any.... knock on wood. It's just personal preference. As stated I like the Yozuri Hybrid, it gives me what I want in basically one line I can use in virtually any application. Low stretch, low memory and low visibility, it works for me. I am not knocking anyone who likes braid, it's their preference and if it works for them that's great. Braid in real heavy vegatation or other heavy cover may have it's place for many, but I don't encounter conditions I feel warrant using braid in my everyday fishing. So use what you like and what you have confidence in. Not looking to start any arguments, my opinion was asked for and that's all this is - one person's opinion as to why he doesn't like braid. Hope nobody asks what Truck I drive.......
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 12:41 PM   #10
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
ya were not trying much were ya?? a good mono -other than stren- probly go with ande,cajun red,calcutta fresh water..

zooker
green maxima
Old 06-12-06, 12:53 PM   #11
Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman
Tried spiderwire and the Stren on several occasions to try and convince myself that braid is a good thing - hasn't happened. Why I don't like it: Here in the Northeast heavy vegatation isn't a serious problem and fish over 4lbs are not the norm - they are here, for sure, but not the normal fish - so I don't need line over 20#. It's very visible and I don't like adding leaders with knots or swivels, just a personal quirk that I don't like knots in my line. I don't like trying to cut braid, have to carry scissors, can't bite through it. It's a PITA when you get hung up, will cut you easily and forget about breaking it off. And finally and most importantly for me, I use high-end rods mostly - light, sensitive AND expensive (for me anyway). Using the new light rods gives up a little in durability (they are good tools but admitably more fragile) over older heavier (ie: sturdier) rods, and I have heard of many individuals breaking their (high-end of various brands) rods on hook sets, etc. I don't have documented proof, but in my opinion putting 50# or 80# line on rods rated for 20# - 25# is a contributing factor. I believe it over stresses the rod, so I don't do it. I use line that is a bit forgiving (some stretch) and do not use line above the rods stated rating, and I haven't broken any.... knock on wood. It's just personal preference. As stated I like the Yozuri Hybrid, it gives me what I want in basically one line I can use in virtually any application. Low stretch, low memory and low visibility, it works for me. I am not knocking anyone who likes braid, it's their preference and if it works for them that's great. Braid in real heavy vegatation or other heavy cover may have it's place for many, but I don't encounter conditions I feel warrant using braid in my everyday fishing. So use what you like and what you have confidence in. Not looking to start any arguments, my opinion was asked for and that's all this is - one person's opinion as to why he doesn't like braid. Hope nobody asks what Truck I drive.......
I was just curious. In clear water it can have disadvantages. As far as breaking a rod, I have only broken one when I first started using it. I learned real quick to just snap the wrist. Thats all it takes.
I cut it with regular nail clippers, and PowerPro does make 10 and 15lb braid.And it is better than the Stren or Spiderwire, imo.

Like I said, I was only wondering.Just like to get input on various products.
Old 06-12-06, 04:38 PM   #12
bassnman30

Your line choice is good with Stren 10 lb test. You may wish to try 12 lb. for better power when setting the hook. Granted, 10 is my choice for crankbaits, however, I use Stren Flourocarbon when throwing cranks.
But for all around use I would say 12 lb. original stren is the right choice.
Old 06-12-06, 05:06 PM   #13
senko

i dont like stren...either trilene xl or sensation,or power pro 50#
Old 06-12-06, 07:37 PM   #14
Bender

I am curious as to why mono is the line of choice for crank baits?
I still have Cajun Red on one reel from last year and I really didn't like it. Now I have all PowerPro or Floro on the others. I am leaning towards Floro for most applications, I have had the most fish with it this year, especially in slower presentations.
I have left that mono on for cranking at the suggestion of others, but I wondered why it is preferred.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 02:45 PM   #15
bassnman30

I use flourocarbon on most of my reels. With exception of reaction baits (lipless cranks,spinnerbaits). I do use the flouro.when fishing worms,jigs,crankbaits,or anything that they can look at prior to striking.
Old 06-14-06, 04:02 PM   #16
senko

the mono stetches,making it like a shock absorber for the bait.if you ask rebbasser,he will give you more detailed descirption.
Old 06-15-06, 08:57 PM   #17
JB

i used stren for over 10 years and then trilene , and am now happy with lizards recommendation of powerpro, I've used it for all applications of casting and fishing and its workin for me
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 08:57 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
I am curious as to why mono is the line of choice for crank baits?
I still have Cajun Red on one reel from last year and I really didn't like it. Now I have all PowerPro or Floro on the others. I am leaning towards Floro for most applications, I have had the most fish with it this year, especially in slower presentations.
I have left that mono on for cranking at the suggestion of others, but I wondered why it is preferred.
I am one of the weirdos I guess, because I use Braid/Fused line I was one of the folks who used to be on the Gotta have the stretch for cranks, but have reversed that stinking thinking The thinner diameter of the Braid/Fused will get you deeper. It also has the sensitivity I love, and can't be matched with mono or Flourocarbon. I use a Medium Powered rod, with a Moderate acrtion tip, and leave the drag very loose. I don't lose a lot of fish comparitively speaking to when I used mono(I actually believe I lose less). I lose hardly no cranks now(however I do replace a lot of hooks ). It's just like everything else in fishing. Use what works for you. I had to change some little minor things, but on cranks you just have to play the fish, and keep em from jumping if at all possible. If you do those things, and don't try to horse the fish in the boat, and learn how to keep the fish from jumping, you'll land a lot more. Now a Leaping out of the water bass is pretty, but not when he throws your bait before he gets in the boat

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.