Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-20-07, 11:00 PM   #1
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Redneck4woodmont
Default Any tips on fishing a floating worm?

Im new here to the forum and i was wonderin if anybody had some tips on fishing a floatin worm such as a Zoom trick worm? I usually fish with soft plastics such as a u-tale or grub, any tips on those also??

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-21-07, 07:48 AM   #2
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

strait shank hook. the best ive found is the gambler floating worm. throw them into the worst cover you can find the rig is very weedless. over top grass works too. i like methiolate color the best.
Old 06-21-07, 08:31 AM   #3
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

use a small swivel about 18 inches ahead of the worm. then kink the worm a little as you put it on the hook.....it's really a twisted kink...makes the worm spiral on top when reeled or pulled. will give it the appearance of swimming.
like bassthumb said, heavy cover.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 10:11 AM   #4
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Both prior comments have good results, another I like to use with floating worms is similar to a cadence used with jerk baits. A couple quick jerks on the line, followed by a long pause, or any similar pattern.

I sometimes use the swivel, and sometimes use a small "pinch on" bullet head weight, maybe 24 to 36 inches ahead of the worm. Like most plastics, they can be used with many techniques, and all will produce strikes, it's a matter of finding out which one applies to the terrain your fishing.

My perference in hooks is the light wire offset, 2/0 gammakatsu.

I rarely use the floating worm anymore, due to my preference to baitcasters, and the best way (IMHO) to use a floating worm in with a spinning rig, using 8 to 12 pound florocarbon line.

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:25 PM   #5
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys this is really helpful. Any more??

Thanks
Old 06-21-07, 03:49 PM   #6
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Well, there is another method I use alot, I love to use a BPS black floating worm on a texas rig on my baitcaster. Of course this will put the worm on the bottom, but the tail sticks up nicely, and when in cover, it will draw attention when regular worms will not.

One last tip, use a rattle and scent on your floating worms too. Even though floating worms are usually used when site fishing, the extra sound and smell factor cannot hurt any either.

Good Luck

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 05:00 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Floating worms, I've found, are great for clear water and when the bass aren't really busting floating topwater baits. Kind of like waking a spinnerbait when a buzzbait isn't working. The technique is very similar to fishing a fluke or a senko. Twitch, Twitch, Pause... Sometimes we work them really quickly through pads or on top of the grass but other times letting it sink slowly works too. Floating worms have, I believe and if I'm wrong will be corrected, a slower fall rate compared to the flukes and senkos. Colors include white, bubblegum, sherbert, watermelon, etc.
Rigging a worm can be a little tricky...if you penetrate the hook too deep on the head of the worm then the worm will pop up out of the water as you twitch it.
Old 06-21-07, 05:14 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

my favorite color foating worm is pumpernickle belive it or not.. i like carolina rigging it on several lakes i fish..

zooker
Old 06-21-07, 07:30 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Pumpernickle? Why not? I've used pink, merthiolate, sherbert, lemon/lime swirl, white-take your pick. The other guys covered it real well.
Old 06-21-07, 08:24 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Pumpernickle? Why not? I've used pink, merthiolate, sherbert, lemon/lime swirl, white-take your pick. The other guys covered it real well.
We don't fish "PINK", we fish "Bubblegum", or "Cotton Candy", but "NEVER EVER DO WE FISH PINK"!!!!!!!

As for Zoom trick worms, in stained water Junebug is great, in clearer water Green seems to outproduce Junebug. Weighless t-rigged is my preferred method, add a tiny split shot if wind is howling. Must be a good line watcher. Many times you will just feel a heavyness on the end of youir line, "SET THE HOOK". You also need to be a little more patient to allow for the bait to fall. Slower sweeps of the rod to move it work better than quick hops "MOST OF THE TIME".

Lizards
Old 06-21-07, 11:11 PM   #11
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys this really helped, I went fishing this evening and caught 2 with a white trick worm and a few on other worms also. im glad i found this forum u guys are great. anyone ever heard of dip-n-glow??
Old 06-22-07, 12:27 AM   #12
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
We don't fish "PINK", we fish "Bubblegum", or "Cotton Candy", but "NEVER EVER DO WE FISH PINK"!!!!!!!

Lizards
Quite true, but described like that it leaves absolutely no question as to the color if someone isn't familiar with those colors.

Redneck, congrats on the fish and welcome to the forum!

I've not used dip-n-glow but I never go without several different colors of Spike-It, both in bottles and the magic marker type.
Old 06-22-07, 11:19 AM   #13
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks reb, dip-n-glo is made by spike-it. it comes in 2 colors that i know of; chartreuse and pumpkin. it changes the color of the soft plastic and has either a garlic or crawfish scent that will singe ur eyebrows, be careful!!
Old 06-22-07, 05:35 PM   #14
zooker

spike it!! spike it!! oh wait... i do like chartruses about 1/2-1 " on some of my baits..

zooker
Old 06-22-07, 11:48 PM   #15
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks again for all the help, i love this forum!!
Old 06-23-07, 05:20 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck4woodmont View Post
thanks guys this really helped, I went fishing this evening and caught 2 with a white trick worm and a few on other worms also. im glad i found this forum u guys are great. anyone ever heard of dip-n-glow??

So how did you catch these bass? What rig, and technique were you using? What time of the day/night was it, and was it cloudy, windy, rainy, bluebird skies, calm etc.... And "WHERE DID YOU CATCH THEM", deep, shallow, in the weeds, along some timber, around a hump or rock pile? Was the watrer clear, stained, muddy, and any current? Yes these are lot's of questions you should be asking yourself. Were you just dragging the worm, letting it sink, jerking it, and at what point exactly did the bass hit, after a pause or a jerk, or just slowly sinking? When you can answer these questions, then you will have a better chance of developing a better pattern/strategy for consistantly catching fish. You really have to know "EXACTLY HOW YOU CAUGHT THOSE BASS", so you can repeat it with similiar conditions. When conditions change, then usually so does presentation of the bait.

Lizards
Old 06-25-07, 12:46 PM   #17
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have started using a Natural Blue color Zoom Trick Worm. This color looks like a baitfish and has been really working for me lately. I like to use them in the morning and evening, also on cluody/rainy days, pretty much wherever you would fish a spiinerbait. This really works well over grass, and you can cover lots of water this way.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.