Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-05-12, 09:58 PM   #1
1moresmallie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How to eliminate line twist?

I've started having problems with line twist while fishing a Texas rigged 5 inch senko with a insert free tungsten wt, I'm using a 7.3 ft casting rod with a curado and 12 lb Fluorcarbon, this problem didn't start til I started throwing this worm, how do I fix this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1moresmallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 10:05 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You have got to take your time with hook placement. If there is the smallest twist in your worm caused by a hook that's not in perfect alignment......line twist is inevitable. Before you cast, drag the worm back and forth in the water and make sure it's tracking true. Recheck it after a false set or after dragging it through structure.
Old 06-06-12, 03:17 PM   #3
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This may be a copout, but I often use a small ball-bearing swivel in black, like Berkley's 20# version. I tie it to the mainline, then tie leader to swivel and hook to leader. That way, the added motion of a senko that is rigged a bit offcenter can be a plus.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 05:23 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dave, your post brings back memories.

As a kid, after learning how to T-rig from the pros at a regional (B.A.S.S.?) seminar, my stepdad and I had what we thought was a good idea. We would make up a bunch of T-rig leaders, much like you would with a C-rig today, except they had the bullet weights already on them. We kept them on one of those plastic, spring-loaded rig holders. If we ever got snagged up (which was pretty often in newly filled Patoka...still a LOT of unrotted submerged timber at the time), it was pretty quick to tie a new one on and stick a new worm on it.

With the swivel, you could intentionally put a kink in the worm, which when jerked, really moved around a lot. That helped a lot in preventing line twist, as at that time, I didn't even know what a baitcaster looked like. It was all Zebcos and spinning reels back for me back then.
Old 06-07-12, 11:38 AM   #5
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nofear: The "little twist in the worm" approach can be KILLER for smallmouth, especially in a river. I will use a 4" Razorworm, t-rigged on a straight worm hook and tossed along current breaks. It looks like a leech drifting downstream.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.