Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-09, 09:36 PM   #1
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Anybody Know of Some Good Swimbaits When Land Fishing

I've been trying a Strike King Sexy Swimmer but not any luck. Caught 1 little bass and that's it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good one for the buck. Hard plastic or soft.
fishinboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 12:24 AM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Read the recent post on jointed swimbaits........
Old 12-30-09, 01:05 AM   #3
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

I already read it it doesnt give anything that can be helpful to me when land fishing. It isn't that easy when you don't have a boat.
Old 12-30-09, 03:13 AM   #4
cassidyta

IMO, the phrase a good swimbait is completely based on budget, but here are 3 that I use from both boat and shore that I consider very much worth their cost.

For hard baits I have yet to find anything as good as the Matt's lure Blue Gills. When fishing from the shore I stick with the slow sinking ones. Now these are not cheap in quality nor price. One of his hard bodied Blue Gills will cost you around $50.
http://www.mattlures.com/HardBluegill.htm

On the soft bodied models I usually like the robo worm swimbaits. When fishing from the shore I really want a bait that can be weedless and these can be rigged to swim through just about anything. My only complaint is that they are still too limited on colors. Additionally, I feel that the eyes come off too easily. A pack of 3 will run you around $7.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRSWIM-REZS.html

The third bait that I have recently started thowing a lot of is the Castaic, Catch 22's. I consider these a hybrid of the hard and soft bodied baits. They have the action of a hard bodied bait built into a soft body. The hook design really hoelps with hook ups, but it also means that the bait will hook onto all grasses. Not always a good thing from the shore. These will run you between $15-20 for the smaller ones.
http://store.castaicswimbait.com/Category/Catch22/

I hope this helps.
Old 12-30-09, 11:07 AM   #5
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

On the robo worm swimbait how would you rig those? Texas style weightless or texas style with a weighted hook? But it seems all the soft body swimbaits like the robo worm dont swim right for me. Also which one of the castaic22's is good, the ones that look like blue gill or the longer ones? Thanks.

Last edited by fishinboi; 12-30-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 11:40 AM   #6
cassidyta

Weighted hook. they do not swim properly fly rigged.
When fishing them from shore or in shallows, I use the owner twistlock weighted hooks. They give the bait more of a wobble when fishing it slowly. I use the owner, but any brand that has the smaller, wider weight gives it this action.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-OTLW.html

I switch to the normal weighted hooks when throwing them deeper.
Old 12-30-09, 11:49 AM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BBZ 1 4" shad is what I've used. Works pretty good, I've caught a few on it so far. But anything a little but smaller works pretty good, storm swimbaits are ok for that too!

btw, never heard of land fishing, catch much land? haha jk, I fish from the bank too!

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-30-09 at 12:52 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 05:56 PM   #8
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Haha but what do you think I should get in bbz 1 shad, slow sink, floater, or fast sink. And thanks cass I'll have to try them out.
Old 12-30-09, 06:10 PM   #9
cassidyta

If from the shore, I suggest a slow sink on the bbz. The floater is a good bait, but it is very similar to any other top-water wake bait.
I try to avoid fast sinking baits with multiple hooks if shore fishing
Old 12-30-09, 06:21 PM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinboi View Post
I already read it it doesnt give anything that can be helpful to me when land fishing. It isn't that easy when you don't have a boat.
What's not easy about it??? I've fished from a boat, wading, and on shore in ponds, lakes, and rivers. You cast the bait out and retrieve it. Using a swim bait, shallow running or slow sinking, is just like throwing a one minus or a jerk bait. Hard bait or soft I don't see the problem.
Old 12-30-09, 07:30 PM   #11
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Just forget it 3d And thanks cass i'll probably end up buying a slow sinker. But i probably couldn't get any of those robo worms or castaic 22's bc i'm not aloud to order really anything online only thing i can do is take the tri rail train to Bass Pro Shops.
Old 12-31-09, 12:17 AM   #12
bassinbob

I like the Money Minnow for soft. I really would like to get one or two of the Triton Mike Bucca baits for a hard bait.
Old 12-31-09, 01:17 AM   #13
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

I'v alwaya heard the money minnows never swim right though. Is there a secret to it?
Old 12-31-09, 12:32 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Im kinda confused...Are you wanting product recommendations?..Cause you say that thread wasnt helpful in ''landing fish''
So are you looking for size and color for catching fish?

I also fish 70% of the time from banks....Ive never had swimbaits of any size/weight be an issue...I just start a new area with a spinnerbait as a search tool...Once I figure out what the water has in it,I can then use a swimbait accordingly without fear of snagging up.......crankbaits are a different story
Old 12-31-09, 12:55 PM   #15
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
I'v alwaya heard the money minnows never swim right though. Is there a secret to it?
Never had any problems with the YUM Money Minnows. I use the Owner Beast swimbaits hook. As long as the hook is centered on the bait, it should swim fine.

BB
Old 12-31-09, 02:26 PM   #16
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Never had any problems with the YUM Money Minnows. I use the Owner Beast swimbaits hook. As long as the hook is centered on the bait, it should swim fine.

BB

That goes for just about every softbodied swim bait I own. Don't rush the hook placement. That is the single biggest problem I see when guys say their bait doesn't swim right.

On most of my soft bodied baits I will pre-rig them with about an 18 inch leader. I attach it to my main with a barrel swivel. As long as you are not going overkill on the swivel size, then it does not affect how your bait reacts.
Old 12-31-09, 08:09 PM   #17
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Try berkley ripple shad,in skinny water w/ aggressive bass a SK king shad wake bait, and in normal to deep water try reg. SK king shad bait. NEVER TUNGSTEN! Their pieces of crap!!
bassassasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 10:15 PM   #18
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Im kinda confused...Are you wanting product recommendations?..Cause you say that thread wasnt helpful in ''landing fish''
So are you looking for size and color for catching fish?

I also fish 70% of the time from banks....Ive never had swimbaits of any size/weight be an issue...I just start a new area with a spinnerbait as a search tool...Once I figure out what the water has in it,I can then use a swimbait accordingly without fear of snagging up.......crankbaits are a different story
I meant to say bank fishing or fishing from the land instead of a boat, and also i mean the lures that they mention in that thread are big there aren't but a few big enough bass in the lakes i fish that would eat those big ones. Sorry if i confused you.
Old 12-31-09, 10:16 PM   #19
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Also thanks for the recemendations guys i'll have to go out and buy some of these lures with my christmas money.
Old 01-01-10, 05:06 PM   #20
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bbz 4" shad is awesome, but you can get the same thing in slightly less well done finishes through cabelas for ten bucks instead of twenty. (cabelas is buying the bodies from spro and painting them) For trout swim baits I don't think one can beat a castaic catch 22. I fish the 6" size.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 08:35 PM   #21
JohnnyG
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to throw the River 2 sea S-Wave I have caught some good fish on it. I use it like a spinner bait and it only sinks max 2 1/2 feet and all you do is cast and reel it moves in an s pattern very good movement. I have caught fish with all the colors.
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:29 PM   #22
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks i'll probably buy a bbz 1 shad bc parents probably wont led me order but i will check them out when i go to BPS.
Old 01-06-10, 05:10 PM   #23
paul
BassFishin.Com Member

Some good recommendations here. Jackall also makes some pretty good swimbaits in the 20 dollar range.
Old 01-07-10, 08:06 PM   #24
flipit
BassFishin.Com Member

MS Slammer are great when the fish will come up.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 09:27 PM   #25
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys i'll have to see. And also the thing is is i can't order things really i can only take the tri rail to BPS every once in a while and they only sell bbz1 shads tru tungsten SK sexy swimmer and SK wake shad.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.