Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-27-12, 10:39 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default what to do with all the left over braid?

man ole man, i have about 5 spools of maybe 30-40 yards a piece on them, i dont think nore would i try to mend em all together. use em as leader? it makes me mad when i spool up a reel and still have a bit left, i have em store in my closet and it is starting to look like the line selection at bass pro
Old 05-27-12, 11:26 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Turn them in at a line recycle bin,buy new.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 11:30 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use braid as backing on reels that I want to get a lot of casting distance with, like crankbaits for example. Braid is lighter than mono or flourocarbon so if you use it for backing it will reduce the weight on the spool and let it build up more RPMs and do it quicker than if you filled the spool with mono or flourocarbon. I can't take credit for coming up with this trick, I learned it from Proreel. Anyways since you would never cast down to the knot that joins the braid to whatever you use for main line you certainly couldn't cast to any of the other knots should you splice all the short pieces of braid together and then spooled over them. Maybe someone could think of a reason why it wouldn't work but I really can't see why you wouldn't be able to splice them together and use it as backing.
Old 05-27-12, 11:43 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I use braid as backing on reels that I want to get a lot of casting distance with, like crankbaits for example. Braid is lighter than mono or flourocarbon so if you use it for backing it will reduce the weight on the spool and let it build up more RPMs and do it quicker than if you filled the spool with mono or flourocarbon. I can't take credit for coming up with this trick, I learned it from Proreel. Anyways since you would never cast down to the knot that joins the braid to whatever you use for main line you certainly couldn't cast to any of the other knots should you splice all the short pieces of braid together and then spooled over them. Maybe someone could think of a reason why it wouldn't work but I really can't see why you wouldn't be able to splice them together and use it as backing.
That's as good an idea as any. I do this on reels that I throw lighter baits with, I think I learned it from the same place as you. It allows your spool to start up faster because it's a little lighter.

Otherwise, you might could use it to sew buttons on or hang wind chimes from or something like that. You could also probably use it to tie jigs with.
Old 05-28-12, 08:45 AM   #5
wallywallace

no clue me in, i get what your saying carolina, but i though braid slipped and thus that is why we use mono backing OR is it ok to use braid from the beginning if you are changing over to some other line
Old 05-28-12, 08:51 AM   #6
Tavery5

30-40 yards is plenty of line on a reel that is dedicated to flipping and pitching. Most cast using this technique are going to be much shorter than that.
Old 05-28-12, 09:35 AM   #7
bassboogieman

put some electrical tape over your backing - main line will not dig in and if you backlash it will not go very deep.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 11:05 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
no clue me in, i get what your saying carolina, but i though braid slipped and thus that is why we use mono backing OR is it ok to use braid from the beginning if you are changing over to some other line
If you spool your reel totally with braid it will slip on the spool. However if you just use it as backing and then spool over it with mono or flouro it won't slip because those lines have enough stretch to not put that much pressure on the braid to cause it to slip. I know that isn't the best explanation but it's the best way I can think to explain it.
Old 05-28-12, 09:58 PM   #9
wallywallace

thanks guys, i will do what you said the Carolina, i could use a little distance on my lighter jigs
Old 05-29-12, 09:28 AM   #10
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boat Cover

And if you ever have a boat cover that has stitching come apart USE BRAID to re-sow.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 11:10 AM   #11
DVT Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I would agree with this for casting lighter baits. That's where you want a light spool that will start quicker. For heavier baits like deep cranks you'll get more casting distance from a heavier spool. It will store more energy and spin longer once started up.
Old 05-31-12, 11:26 AM   #12
merc1997

braid is way too expensive to waste any useable yardage you might have left over. tavery is right about those 30 to 40 yard pieces. save them for a reel that you will only being flipping and pitching with. put lots old mono backing on, and then fill the rest of the way up with the 30 to 40 yards of braid. you are good to go. another thing that i do with my braid, is to take it off the reel after a lot of use, and reverse it. this puts the line on the bottom of spool the the top, and it is like fishing with brand new braid again.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 11:36 AM   #13
merc1997

braid is too expensive to waste any useable yardage. tavery is right about using the 30 to 40 leftover yards for a reel that you flip or pitch with. just put on more backing, and fill the spool the rest of the way with the 30 to 40 yards of left over line, and you are good to go for pitching and flipping. another thing that i do is to reverse my line after the top part coming off the spool gets to look somewhat worn. just run your line across the yard to the end you your braid, clip it off. go the the end that you were using, and splice back to the backing and wind it back up. you are then using fresh line that was to the bottom of the spool. braid is expensive, and i try to get all the mileage i can out of it.

bo
Old 05-31-12, 01:14 PM   #14
lilmule

Heres the best tip of all,when ever at a show or a large big T get inline they give it away-dont pay for what you can get for free.Havnt bought a spool of line in 5 years now not mono ,braid or fluro.Year end nationals they form a circle of dealers contestants and often open to anyone walk on thru and pickup,they also have for sale items.
And recycle bins.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 02:39 AM   #15
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

Do any of you do the unspool/respool with the braid. After you use it, take it off and respool it starting with the opposite end of the braid on the spool?
BassAnglerMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 01:03 PM   #16
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAnglerMagazine View Post
Do any of you do the unspool/respool with the braid. After you use it, take it off and respool it starting with the opposite end of the braid on the spool?
i had just mentioned doing that. since braid does not have a memory like mono and floro it works quite well to take it off, and use the end that was at the bottom of the spool. again, braid is so expensive need to get all the mileage out of it that you can.

bo
Old 06-05-12, 02:50 PM   #17
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I use my short pieces to tie skirts on jigs and spinnerbaits and to hang Christmas wreaths in the house and on the front door.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.