Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-04-12, 09:34 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default fishing frogs and what else in clear water, do i need a fluro leader.few ??'s

going to a lake that is half pad, 1/4 gunk and the other open water, It is very clear water, i know frogs on pads, no fluro. Also if it is heavy pads, should i only walk the dog when have a opening and just pop on top of pads, or walk the whole way, only pausing. also as title says, would you run floro leader. ALSO new to clear what is best color. i know frog doesnt matter, but i was going to take 3 rods, frog--trick worm with barral swival(prevent twists) with fluro and then T-rig with braid and fluro leader or mabye no trick but a weedless wacky. idk gimme ideal and colors,, guy i talk to says it is uncommon but he usally gets 5-6lbers on T-rig worms.. he kinda avoids the what is he using question.. any any tips at all for this setting, i am open ears guys
Old 06-05-12, 12:05 AM   #2
pro reel

I have had the opurtunity to fish with a very skilled frog man. We fished gin clear water with very little vegetation. he used 50 lb braid and caught lots of fish and lots of big fish. The bass didn't seem to think anything about the braid tied to to the frog. He varied his retreive from an almost dead still slow walk to a fast walk and alos used a popper frog when there was a chop on the water.

Now, as for other baits such as very slow moving things like jigs and plastics, i still believe in a leader for clear water.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 07:11 AM   #3
Dogmatic

I also would like to know about using fluoro leaders on topwater. Fluoro sinks, wouldn't that effect the action of the frog. I have always tied braid directly to my frog(?)
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:15 AM   #4
wallywallace

I wouldnt on the frog, to me it sinks and in the pause of the frog, the line would sink and the second pop of the frog would jus pulling the fluro from the water IMO and with the muck I usually fish, it is another knot to break. Though on plastics, I plan throw near pads,
Not in them lol
Old 06-05-12, 08:16 AM   #5
wallywallace

Thanx P reel
Old 06-05-12, 02:53 PM   #6
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I am old school, mono on my topwaters and 50lb braid (no leader) on frogs.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 03:37 PM   #7
wallywallace

Yea mono for buzz-top water, somtimes for spinnerbaits.since I throw cranks from shore I also use 15 mono for crank

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.