Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-11-12, 09:56 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Customer service story.

I always make public complaints when I feel like I received bad customer service from a company. Usually it doesn't amount to much of a loss of business on their end but just the same I try to make sure everyone I know will be aware of what they might be getting into should they deal with the company. To be fair I feel like I should make the same announcement when I receive great customer service from a company. Now I realize that there aren't a ton of members on here from my area so not many of you will deal with either company. But there are getting to be more members from this area so I will post this for all to read and hopefully help some of the guys out who are from my area.

2 years ago I bought a Minn Kota Fortrex. It was a great trolling motor at first but has recently developed a popping noise when I change directions on a fairly high speed. This past Ferbruary I took it to Big Johns Trolling Motor Repair in Monkey Island Oklahoma. I explained to the owner what was going on with the popping noise and I also showed him where the cover over the head was cracked from being over tightened at the factory. Both problems should be covered under warranty. He spent over an hour in his parking lot trying to locate the popping noise. He made it pop several times by pulling on the shaft of the motor but never found where it was coming from. He told me to leave it with him and he would get on it. A week later he calls and said it's done. I ask him if he would be there the next morning and he said that he would, so the next morning I filled up the truck and drove the hour over there to get it. When I got there I was shocked to see that nobody was there, so I called him. He told me that he was on the lake and wouldn't be there until that night. I pretty much told him how I felt about it and that I was leaving for the Classic the next morning so he would have to sit on it until I got back. Then the next week when I went to pick it up I asked him when I walked through the door if it was fixed, to which he said "almost". I asked what the hell "almost meant" and he said well all that was wrong with it was the cracked head cover right? I said well yeah that and the popping sound that you spent an hour and a half hunting for in your parking lot. He replied "oh well I didn't know about that" and wanted me to bring it back later. I told him he would never touch it again and left.

Tournament season got here and I couldn't afford to be without the motor so I used it as it was for a few months, until I finally had a few weeks off this month. Last weekend we took it to Springfield to Marine Repair Center. We dropped it off on Saturday and Wednesday the guy calls my wife and says it's done. He told her that he was going to ship it but rather than ship it UPS he wanted to send it down on a truck so that he could be sure it wouldn't get torn up. We didn't know what he meant by sending it down on a truck but 2 hours later they showed up at Britneys work with the trolling motor in the back of a pickup, and they threw in an extra pull rope that I will keep as a spare. I was floored, I haven't had that good of customer service from anyone in a long time so I thought I would tell everyone I could think of about it.
Old 06-11-12, 10:05 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Only fair to mention GREAT service, too often it does not get the attention it deserves. Good post and well worth mentioning, other's in your area that see this should really appreciate it - especially if they find themselves in need of similiar service work in the future.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:06 PM   #3
Tavery5

Glad you were able to have it repaired, curious as to what the poping noise was.
Old 06-11-12, 11:18 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Glad you were able to have it repaired, curious as to what the poping noise was.
All I know is he said they replaced the round plastic part that the shaft runs through on the front of the arm. None of that is technical names for anything but it's the best I can explain it LOL.
Old 06-12-12, 10:50 AM   #5
MississippiBoy

Sounds like Big John needs to work on his customer service a little. Forgetting to fix something that he spent an hour trying to find right there in front of you, then telling you he'll be there and going fishing instead? I was about to ask if you paid him anything, but then remembered it was warranty work. If it hadn't been, I would've hard a hard time paying him a single dime after that. Maybe pay him, then send him a bill for the wasted gas you burned on a useless trip there and back....
But Marine Repair Center really sounds like a place to do business with. Two thumbs up for them....
Old 06-12-12, 07:43 PM   #6
bamabassman

fantstic kory. i believe daniel is dead on. hopefully big john will read this and learn his leson. doubt it though. great report kory.
Old 06-13-12, 10:25 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

It seems like a lot of 'business folks' have forgotten or forsaken customer service.
My hometown bank used to have 'free' checking and if I needed travelers checks I could get them for free. They were taken over by a larger bank and now I pay extra for anything and everything! And what about the airlines...charging extra for baggage. A young family with stroller and pack 'n play plus bags could hardly afford to fly anywhere. Now wanting to charge extra for isle or window seats and split families.

'Customer service' may become a thing of the past if something doesn't change the tide. But this is a good example. Tell all you know about the bad AND the good and perhaps good will win over evil greed.
:-)
Old 06-13-12, 06:08 PM   #8
islandbass

Glad it worked out for you. To me, customer service is very big. You treat me right, I'll do the same and more. It's that simple.

I'd shudder to think about bad customer service stories from big companies like Comcast, Century Link, Dish, and the like. I have my share of stories of crap from them, Century Link being the most recent as in last week.
Old 06-16-12, 12:56 PM   #9
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try marine repair center in springfield, mo. i have used them for years, and have never had an issue with anything they repaired for me.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:54 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
It seems like a lot of 'business folks' have forgotten or forsaken customer service.
My hometown bank used to have 'free' checking and if I needed travelers checks I could get them for free. They were taken over by a larger bank and now I pay extra for anything and everything! And what about the airlines...charging extra for baggage. A young family with stroller and pack 'n play plus bags could hardly afford to fly anywhere. Now wanting to charge extra for isle or window seats and split families.

'Customer service' may become a thing of the past if something doesn't change the tide. But this is a good example. Tell all you know about the bad AND the good and perhaps good will win over evil greed.
:-)
Knock your socks off customer service trumps price everytime. Business' like the OP will soon wonder what hit them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.