Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-05, 07:56 PM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Any tip or trick on how to make a perfect cast at night-fishing?

I am doing a big project. So I have no time to go fishing at day time at all.

Any way, the weather is becoming cool and bug is going to somewhere else.LOL... I think this is the time to go night-fishing.

Since there is a great canal system connecting a lot small lakes just near my city about 15KM. There are a lot of locks on the canal system. So I can fish from the docks. I've watched people caught reasonable size bass there couple times. And at night, it is very quite! So i want to try fishing there.

So any suggestion to make casts in that situation? or any tip or trick on how to make a perfect cast at night-fishing?

Thanks

Cheers
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 06:25 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think I am reading this right. As your eyes become better acclimated to the conditions you will actually be able to see or at least make out outlines of where you are fishing. Just visualize in your mind how hard or how much effort you make during the day to make a cast x number of feet away and you will be surprised how close you come at night.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 09:23 AM   #3
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Smile Night Fishin...

H2o,

Interesting question. I used to do a lot of night fishing and the fellow replying here before said it right with eyes adjusting. I've fished near your area down in Picton and in the early spring for years while fishing for walleyes and the fog can roll in on you pretty fast. We've tried fishing in that narrow stretch of water up to the Picton Yaght Club without any success at night. I've seen people slay them on the Erie Canal in Upstate NY at night jigging along the canal from land.

Night fishing is an art to me and it helps to look over the area you'll fish during the day to see some prominent possible skeg bumpers. Since you know your waters best, I can't offer any more help with lures. I use black lights and dress right and be sure to talk to the locals on what to use etc.. Have fun!

Stick~em

PS and there isn't anything wrong with a live shiner either about 20 out from the canal wall. It seems a lot of eyes are taken with the right night with them also.
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 08:08 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sometimes when it's pitch black, I just use a light to show me where I want to cast and then cast to the spot. For night fishing I truly prefer flats, since IMO that's where the fish will go to feed, and can be caught. Making the perfect cast is kinda an oximoron. I have made casts that I thought were just lousy and ended up catching a nice fish. And cast to where I thought was perfect and had nothing touch it. Black lights help, and also keep down the mosquistos LOL. Whatever baits you do use, topwaters, and baits that make noise or have a lot of water movement are the ticket at night IMO. Fish will feed by latteral line as much as by sight at night.

Lizards
Old 09-12-05, 09:05 PM   #5
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Sometimes when it's pitch black, I just use a light to show me where I want to cast and then cast to the spot. For night fishing I truly prefer flats, since IMO that's where the fish will go to feed, and can be caught. Making the perfect cast is kinda an oximoron. I have made casts that I thought were just lousy and ended up catching a nice fish. And cast to where I thought was perfect and had nothing touch it. Black lights help, and also keep down the mosquistos LOL. Whatever baits you do use, topwaters, and baits that make noise or have a lot of water movement are the ticket at night IMO. Fish will feed by latteral line as much as by sight at night.

Lizards
Thanks Lizards

Casting from bank at night is kind challenge to catch Bass. I mean I believe that I can catch pretty decent pike on open water, even pike is supposed not to bite at night. However, I look for bass.

Any way, One thing for sure: I'll definitely use BLACK JITTERBUG!!! LOL...
Actually it works very well for me too.

Cheers.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 03:08 PM   #6
KH.

go fishing in a good spot one day and look at your suroundings,the next week go night fishing
Old 09-17-05, 03:08 AM   #7
islandbass

Have a flash light handy to help you do things like tie knots, look through your tackle and more importantly to help you get around if there is no ambient light available.

If you are using a baitcaster, focus your ears to the sound of the spool. You won't even need to see. Pick your target and guesstimate the amount of energy you'll need for your cast and make it. The slowing/dying sound of the spool will tell you and your thumb it's time to feather or stop the spool.

I mastered this in my cul de sac in the dead of winter with a burned out streetlight when I first started learning to use a BC reel. It works and when you get it down, you won't encounter so much as a single loop of overrun. Good luck!

-islandbass

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.