Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-24-06, 02:17 PM   #1
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Any tips will help

I am new to the site. I would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks to help me catch more fish. I am fishing in VA where I recently moved the Chickihominy river to be exact I hear its really good for largemouth but I havent been able to land any. I've tried topwater, crankbaits, and plastics (which I'm still trying to figure out) the water is murky and drops off steeply about 6 foot from the bank I was fishing the drop off yesterday when I think I had a few bites but due to inexperience with plastics I couldn't tell from structure or an actual bite the lizard looked a little chewed on but I dont know if it was just cut on structure or not. So how do I know if I'm getting a bite or not. What colors should I be using? Any tips taken.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 02:18 PM   #2
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Where in the Chickahomy river are you fishing? Are you targeting largmouth, or bronzies?
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 02:26 PM   #3
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Largemouth I am putting in just before you go over the bridge on 5 coming from the east from 199
Old 09-24-06, 02:36 PM   #4
Vabass22

Ok, on the dropoffs, use c-rigs, and crankbaits, like a dt-16 in citrus shad. I would try to find cover, and fish the offcurrent side.
Old 09-24-06, 02:44 PM   #5
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

thats exactly what I was doing with the c-rigs with a black lizard w/blue sparkle. Now is that a deep running crank or a mid runner? I do need to update all my tackle any suggestions with colors. Have you tried the Jitterbug topwater? I've have always had good luck with that in SC I just dont know if it works as well up here.
Old 09-24-06, 02:47 PM   #6
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh what are all those fish that pop the surfce all morning long and are in the shallows? I saw one runnin around and it kinda looked like a carp but it was colored like a hybrid bass the water was about 18" where I saw himand they were everywhere like they where schooling.
Old 09-24-06, 03:10 PM   #7
Vabass22

Some bass will roll on the surface, going after insects, but those will mostly be carp. In the morning try a buzzbait. For schooling fish, throw a ratltrap, 1/4, or 1/2 ounce.
Old 09-24-06, 07:28 PM   #8
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

hey thanks for the help you know those were some of the lures I didnt use and I had em both in the box. Is there some pretty nice bass that come out of the Chick. I cant wait for the stripers to start runnin.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.