Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-15-09, 08:50 PM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hook setting soft baits at short range.

So very frustrated. Fishing from shore, while setting the hook, my line broke at the hook eye. This is twice in 2 weeks in the exact same scenario. I get the hit very close to shore; I only have between 5-7 feet of line out when I get the hit. When I go to set, my line breaks at the knot. I use a palimar knot on a 17 pound Berkely trilene leader. In retrospect, it happend a few times last year as well. Always at short distances. I try to go a little lighter on hook sets at that range rather than say, 10-15 yards out. I don't think I'm overpowering things. I get the "bump", my line is moving out. I point my tip to it, reel in the slack and give it a pop and keep my rod tip up (when things dont break). I'm not leaning way back into it. I think I'm compensating and going easier. Maybe I'm not going easy enough. Should I not pop it up at that distance? Should I just pull up against it and maybe let the fish hook itself? I'm fishing on a 5' ultralight spinner and ultralight reel, if it makes any difference. I should also add that I always lubricate the line when I tie off and cinch things down. I'm thinking of going to a heavier leader in case I am still overpowering things. Any suggestions?
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 09:18 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you have bad spots in your line more than likely. you need to check your line every 10 minutes or so. if you feel rough spots on it, cut off and retie the bait.
Old 06-15-09, 09:45 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i agree that you probably have issues with either your line or your knots. you line may be getting chewed up a little from rocks and making it have weak spots.
Old 06-15-09, 10:22 PM   #4
keithdog

I have to agree with the guys above. Your line is probably getting nicked up. I'm also wondering how old the line is and how was it stored. It could have become week if it's a couple years old and been stored in a warm or sunny area. Maybe try some new line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 11:57 PM   #5
Rebbasser

It might not be the line that is the problem, but the length of line. With that short a length-5 to 7 feet-a hard or even moderate hookset can snap the line simply because there is not enough line out to give like you have with a longer length of line. Try just reeling and raising your rod tip at the same time. With only 5-7 feet out that should be sufficient to set the hook and get it in.

More than once I've had a fish hit just as I'm getting ready to pull the bait out of the water, and just lifting it up has worked.
Old 06-16-09, 01:52 AM   #6
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post
So very frustrated. Fishing from shore, while setting the hook, my line broke at the hook eye. This is twice in 2 weeks in the exact same scenario. I get the hit very close to shore; I only have between 5-7 feet of line out when I get the hit. When I go to set, my line breaks at the knot. I use a palimar knot on a 17 pound Berkely trilene leader. In retrospect, it happend a few times last year as well. Always at short distances. I try to go a little lighter on hook sets at that range rather than say, 10-15 yards out. I don't think I'm overpowering things. I get the "bump", my line is moving out. I point my tip to it, reel in the slack and give it a pop and keep my rod tip up (when things dont break). I'm not leaning way back into it. I think I'm compensating and going easier. Maybe I'm not going easy enough. Should I not pop it up at that distance? Should I just pull up against it and maybe let the fish hook itself? I'm fishing on a 5' ultralight spinner and ultralight reel, if it makes any difference. I should also add that I always lubricate the line when I tie off and cinch things down. I'm thinking of going to a heavier leader in case I am still overpowering things. Any suggestions?
Am I reading this correct?......your fishin 17lb line on an ultralight spinning combo and your snappin your line?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 07:04 AM   #7
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Many thanks for the replies guys.

I had just put the leader and hook on that day and fished for about 30 mins without any hangups. As far as the age of the line goes, I bought it last year. I'm almost positive it broke at the knot. I did take the time and watch Kevin's videos (very informative) in one of his jig vids, he mentioned palimar's and not twisting the line as you tie it up. Would an accidental twist when cinching cause it to not seat correctly and snap? I've never had this problem at any distance greater than 10 feet out.

I think I'll change my tactic and just tip it up as rebbasser said - at such an extremely short distance at least. All of my fishing is done from shore and I rarely cast any farther than 30-40 feet. I hug the bank on my retrieve and most of my hits occur in the last 10 feet.

If it makes any difference, I should also mention I have the leader tied off to braided (power pro 20 lb) and my leader is about 8 feet in length.
All things considered, I'm thinking of moving my leader up to 20-25 pound test if the diameter difference isnt too too bad. With the 17lb test and small diameter braided, I think I'm pushing it already as it is. I use a bloodknot and so far its held up. Maybe this will compensate for any spazzing out during hooksets .

Is there something I should use instead of the trilene?
Old 06-16-09, 12:43 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, first off, I don't see how you could overpower anything with a 5'UL rod. Honestly, I'd be fishing that with 10-15lb braid, (but the 20's not bad) and 8-10lb leader, 12lb at most. For leader material, you may want to try a tougher line. If you insist on using trilene, try the XT. If your problem is nics in the line, you may want to try a more abraision resistant line, like a fluorocarbon. one of the most abrasion resistant FC line's I've used, and I still use for heavier leaders, is Stren 100% fluoro. I think it's too stiff to use as mainline, but it makes great heavy leaders.

While UL setups are extremely fun, I'd also look into getting a rod and reel combo better suited to bass fishing. Try a 2000 or 2500 size reel and a 6'6"-7' M or MH rod. This combo, with 20lb braid and a 12lb leader should be perfectly fine.

I don't see why the palomar knot wouldn't be fine, but I use an improved clinch knot on most line under 15lb test (except braid, of course). For line to line applications, I use the double uni knot. but when using it with braid, wrap the braid 8-10 times instead of the normal 5-6.

BB
Old 06-16-09, 12:43 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Oh, and instead of poping the rod up for your hookset, try more of a sideways sweep. This may help

BB
Old 06-16-09, 02:01 PM   #10
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

What kind of hook do you have.Some hooks have strange eyes on them like round with a little slit in them.Sometimes line will get caught in that slit and cut your line.And remember just because the line is new don't mean its not old on the shelf or warehouse.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 03:29 PM   #11
Bassboss

In a knot book I read once, it said that when using mono, and a P-mar knot, that if you set the hook at close range, the knot has a tendency the break! If I were you, I would use the uni knot, much better not in mono IMO!
Old 06-16-09, 03:38 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies guys.

I had just put the leader and hook on that day and fished for about 30 mins without any hangups. As far as the age of the line goes, I bought it last year. I'm almost positive it broke at the knot. I did take the time and watch Kevin's videos (very informative) in one of his jig vids, he mentioned palimar's and not twisting the line as you tie it up. Would an accidental twist when cinching cause it to not seat correctly and snap? I've never had this problem at any distance greater than 10 feet out.

I think I'll change my tactic and just tip it up as rebbasser said - at such an extremely short distance at least. All of my fishing is done from shore and I rarely cast any farther than 30-40 feet. I hug the bank on my retrieve and most of my hits occur in the last 10 feet.

If it makes any difference, I should also mention I have the leader tied off to braided (power pro 20 lb) and my leader is about 8 feet in length.
All things considered, I'm thinking of moving my leader up to 20-25 pound test if the diameter difference isnt too too bad. With the 17lb test and small diameter braided, I think I'm pushing it already as it is. I use a bloodknot and so far its held up. Maybe this will compensate for any spazzing out during hooksets .

Is there something I should use instead of the trilene?
WELL THERES YER PROBLUM!

Never use a blood knot when tying mono to braid! Use the uni to uni (aka double uni)! The braid will cut through the mono. Use the uni to uni, with 6 wraps with the mono and 10 wraps with the braid!

Quote:
While UL setups are extremely fun, I'd also look into getting a rod and reel combo better suited to bass fishing.
X'2!

If you can, I'd try to get a bait caster if you can use them, and if you can't, I'd learn! a good cheep reel would be a BPS extreme! And for line, 20-40lb braid is great!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-16-09 at 05:27 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 03:49 PM   #13
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Oh, and instead of poping the rod up for your hookset, try more of a sideways sweep. This may help

BB
thats what I do and it works great
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:21 PM   #14
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Again, thanks everyone for all for the suggestions. They were all very helpful.

I took your advise big bassin and went w/some 12lb xt that I had for a leader.

Also I know exactly what you mean about going up a little. I just inherited a shimano 2000 - just looking for a pole. Ultra lights have spoiled me. Anything larger feels like a 2x4 and I can tell the loss in sensitivity. At least with the 6' rods I've played with already. I'll have to shop around or just get used to the difference. I want something sensitive but with quality that wont break the bank. Most of the fish i catch are between 2-4 lbs. On an UL rod a 4 pounder (for me) can be dicey and bigger than that has been a loss on many occasions. I've never used flourocarbon before but per your suggestion, I'll satisfy the bait monkey on that one.

The sweeping hookset was an excellent suggestion. I'm happy to say that I got "him" today. Well maybe not "him" but one of them. He was about 3 lbs. And I just did a steady sweep back. It was a nice hook too; right in the upper lip. There's a favorite chunk of bushes I like to visit, and I think I have a much better way to approach it now with those close hits.

Also bassboss - It had'nt occured to me of the of the braided cutting into the mono. Since this is especially true now that I've downgraded my leader strength. I took your advise and switched up my knot.

You all are the best. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-09, 08:31 PM   #15
BigBassin144

beachbass, if you're going for some fluoro to use as a leader, I'd recomend the Sten, like I said earlier or Seaguar AbrasX. If you're wanting to put straight fluoro on a reel, I'd go with 8-10lb test, with a reel NO smaller than a 2000 series, a 2500 would even be better. As for a line, try Seaguar InvisX, that's my favorite so far, but BPS fluoro, Trilene 100% fluoro, and Sufix Fluoro are all said to be great lines as well. Oh, and Stay away from Berkley Vanish.

Glad the sweeping hookset thing helped. As for a rod, If you prefer shorter rods, try a 6'6" M Shimano Clarus spinning rod. I've heard they're one of the best rods in that price range. Or, for a little cheaper, check out the Shimano Voltaeus, similar to an Ugly Stik, but more sensitive, and little lighter, and over a better rod IMO.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 08:48 PM   #16
BassinID

A post from me on another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
as for the fish feeling you before you set the hook. one mistake i see a lot of guys make when fishing a jig, carolina rig, texas rig or anything of that nature is they reel too much slack out of the line before setting the hook. we are taught to reel the slack out as you lower the rod tip and then set the hook, and that is the right way to do it but if you reel the slack out until the line is tight then i believe the fish feels the pressure and spits the bait out more times than not. i like to reel down and leave just a little slack in the line, not enough to mess up a hookset but enough to keep the fish from feeling me. this also gives a little more power to your hooksets. imagine me trying to pull a rope out of your hands, if i pull the rope tight before i pull on it then you can hold on better than if i leave a little slack in it and then jerk on the rope. the little slack you leave in a hookset kinda works like that. hope this helps.
This is really good advice, just remember that when you reel down, the average 6.3 to 1 reel brings in 28 inches per turn of the handle. This means that if you drop your tip two feet and turn the handle one revolution the fish is gunna feel you! I would suggest using this method of hookset.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnRALrRSZQ
BassinID is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 09:28 AM   #17
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

BassinID - thanks for the vid - ordinarily thats how I do my hooksets too - my reasoning was pretty much the same as you described - I guess I thought, somehow with only 5 feet of line out, I had to give it a snap to get it in the jaw.

Bassboss - the double uni rules! Thanks so much for the advise - it's easier to do on the fly than a blood knot also - the limp properties of braided made the blood knots a pain anyhow. I'm never going back.

The suggestions that have been made have made me realize that my equipment needs a serious changeup. The whole into a gunfight with a knife cliche. I need to step up my rod. I had been considering baitcasters but find them a little intimidating. I'm afraid when I start, I'll spend more time on birdnests than in the water.

Probably the subject of another post but I'm new to braided, and I'm finding my line is tangling alot more during casts with the braided. It's even tangling up on the guides sometimes during my casts. I notice if I keep my casts soft/close i can kind of keep it under control. If I try for any distance then its almost a given. Did I spool my reel wrong? My method is still the same when I was on mono and I never had a problem this bad. When its bad, its almost every other cast.

Last edited by vabeachbass; 06-18-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-18-09, 03:48 PM   #18
BassinID

Well, when and if you decide to start with a baitcaster use the search bar to find other articles about it, but I would definetly start with mono because its cheep and easier to get backlashes out. Baitcasting will come to you pretty quick, so long as you are not using terrible equipment. Check out kevin's video on getting out backlashes, and don't step on your rod, just spool it up with 6 lb mono and catch you some panfish. Sometimes bluegill and crappy are the most fun of all. As for your current problems with braid, I would like to know the brand. Many of the older makes of braid and some of the new ones are too limp and will form loops around guides. I always advise people to go with power pro. It is very affordable and is just amazing braid, the only better braid is suffix, but its like two to three times the price. Other than that a good 6'6" or 7' m or mh baitcaster with a medium fast or fast tip and a 6.3 to 1 retrive low profile reel should get you started very well. Go with 12 lb mono for starters IMO. You can switch to braid, but I like to have people I show stick to mono for the first few months. Good luck
BID
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 04:05 PM   #19
BigBassin144

beachbass, if you start getting into baitcaster, don't be intimdated. With today's modern baitcasters, even the lower end ones, the brakes and stuff can help you learn with minimal backlashes.

check out this article on my site that I wrote to help you learn to set up the reels. If you go into baitcasting with confidence, it will be a lot easier. Click Here for this article.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 05:09 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Again, thanks everyone for all for the suggestions. They were all very helpful.

I took your advise big bassin and went w/some 12lb xt that I had for a leader.

Also I know exactly what you mean about going up a little. I just inherited a shimano 2000 - just looking for a pole. Ultra lights have spoiled me. Anything larger feels like a 2x4 and I can tell the loss in sensitivity. At least with the 6' rods I've played with already. I'll have to shop around or just get used to the difference. I want something sensitive but with quality that wont break the bank. Most of the fish i catch are between 2-4 lbs. On an UL rod a 4 pounder (for me) can be dicey and bigger than that has been a loss on many occasions. I've never used flourocarbon before but per your suggestion, I'll satisfy the bait monkey on that one.

The sweeping hookset was an excellent suggestion. I'm happy to say that I got "him" today. Well maybe not "him" but one of them. He was about 3 lbs. And I just did a steady sweep back. It was a nice hook too; right in the upper lip. There's a favorite chunk of bushes I like to visit, and I think I have a much better way to approach it now with those close hits.

Also bassboss - It had'nt occured to me of the of the braided cutting into the mono. Since this is especially true now that I've downgraded my leader strength. I took your advise and switched up my knot.

You all are the best. Thanks again.
No problem that's something my pops told me! I used to do a lot of UL bassin too! Than I got my first bait caster! For 2yrs that UL Shakespeare did me a lot of good! I used 30lb braid and also a leader, I tried a heavy leader too (20lb) amd got break offs, than I went to 15 and 12, I got considerably less!

Good luck!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.