Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-09-09, 11:38 PM   #1
fishinpharmer
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Gear Question

I'm sure you get questions like this all the time but I couldn't find a clear answer, so here goes: What type of rod and reel are best for worm fishing (texas rig)? Fishing on bottom with football jig head and plastic crawfish? Thanks in advance
fishinpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 08:32 AM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

a fairly long baitcasting rod 7'-7'6" MH or H (cabelas is selling thm for 29.99$ right now)
and a decent baitcasting reel with a high gear ratio6.3:1 and up. an abu garcia revo s is a good one, browning makes a decent reel for like 89.99, something along those lines. hope this helped
Old 07-10-09, 08:41 AM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

fishin spro is basically right here, but if you are just pond fishin or want an all around rod you can get a 6'6"-7', but around 7 with a heavier action (like MH or h) will work......
Old 07-10-09, 09:40 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd go with a baitcasting set-up, but a spinning setup will work too, if you don't fish baitcasters.

For fishing plastics and jigs, as long as it's not inreally heavy cover, can be done with a 7' MH, Fast action rod.

For a baitcasting reel, Daiwa Tierra or Advantage A are both great reels. Abu Garcia Revo S and Shimano Citica are good too. On a baitcaster, I'd use 30lb braid (w/ a 10lb leader if needed) or 12lb fluoro. For a spinning reel, I'd spool 20lb braid w/ an 8lb leader if needed.

For braid, I suggest Sufix Performance Braid. For leader material, use your favorite mono or fluorocarbon. I like Seaguar InvisX or AbrasX fluoro and Sufix Elite or Siege mono.

BB
Old 07-10-09, 12:55 PM   #5
Bassboss

It really on depends how and where you're fishing them! But what ever case, you almost always want a 6.1:1 - or 6.4:1 gear ratio reel. The rod action can very anywhere from M-H action! If you're fishing in some thick stuff, than you want MH rod. But if you're flipping, and pitching heavy wood or rock piles, than you would probably want a H action rod. But on the low end of the rod spectrum, if you're fishing gravel with a few stones here and there, thin vegetation, or shore lines, than you would be just fine with a M action rod!

It really depends on where you're fishing, but all thing considered, I would go with a MH rod, other than if I was doing primaryly flipping, than go with H!

Good luck, and good fishin!
Old 07-11-09, 05:52 PM   #6
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For your all around fishing a 6-6 or 7' mh rod would most likely be fine . I even use a medium light rod for all my finesse fishing , and like BB144 said daiwa makes a great reel , you could also look into pinnacle reels as they are solid and fair priced as well .

Jim
Old 07-11-09, 10:39 PM   #7
bamabassman

everyone is dead on pal. great info and advice gang.

i use a 7 foot lighting rod and a garcia pro max reel, 6:3:1 but am gonna upgrade to a revo one of these days. and i have the rod already......thanks again zooker.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.