Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-15-09, 03:20 AM   #26
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've not read all the replies here so maybe this was already brought up. Either way, everyone is going to immediately and heartily agree with what I advise here, I'm sure.

The first thing thing you want to do is thoroughly fish the dock from the shore as best you can
. Then walk out on it.

Last edited by Stew; 07-15-09 at 03:38 AM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 03:38 AM   #27
Stew

Also, just to get you experiencing some quick action, bring some chum with you, such as dry cat food and even a tin or two of sardines or tuna packed in oil. Once you are out on the dock after fishing it thoroughly from shore, throw out a handful of the chum, one or the other, every 15 minutes or so. It will draw in some small fish, such as minnows and bluegill.

Then catch a bluegill or comparable with a live worm or such...and use it as live bait. You'll need a bucket of water to keep it alive while you re-rig.

To rig it, hook it with a 2/0 sized hook at the anal fin and float it about 3 to 4 feet under a large bobber. No split-shots necessary.

NOTE: The bobber will behave a certain way just by the live bait, as it struggles, so don't be fooled. When a bass takes it, it will be different. Let the bass take it with your line in free-spool, so it can take out line for around 30 seconds without feeling resistance; then, set the hook hard and hang on!

I'd also encourage you to try to get in with a fishing club that may be in your local area. They can perhaps take you to new and different fishing spots.

For the artificial-only enthusiasts here, I of course agree with you for the very most part. The goal here, however, as I see it, is to help a young man love fishing for life, and that requires some success in whatever is his right here and now.

Last edited by Stew; 07-15-09 at 04:04 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:39 PM   #28
JerseyFisher

See if your parents will get you a kayak. That's what I used when I wasn't able to drive a boat yet. Kayaks are a cheap and effective alternative to boats, they can go places boats can't and I find them to be very effective when fishing around the shore. I prefer my kayak over using my family's ski boat anytime now when I'm fishing close to shore. You can also add a lot of attachments to kayaks now like rod holders, depthfinders/gps, trolling motors..etc.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 07:27 PM   #29
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Also, just to get you experiencing some quick action, bring some chum with you, such as dry cat food and even a tin or two of sardines or tuna packed in oil. Once you are out on the dock after fishing it thoroughly from shore, throw out a handful of the chum, one or the other, every 15 minutes or so. It will draw in some small fish, such as minnows and bluegill.

Then catch a bluegill or comparable with a live worm or such...and use it as live bait. You'll need a bucket of water to keep it alive while you re-rig.

To rig it, hook it with a 2/0 sized hook at the anal fin and float it about 3 to 4 feet under a large bobber. No split-shots necessary.

NOTE: The bobber will behave a certain way just by the live bait, as it struggles, so don't be fooled. When a bass takes it, it will be different. Let the bass take it with your line in free-spool, so it can take out line for around 30 seconds without feeling resistance; then, set the hook hard and hang on!

I'd also encourage you to try to get in with a fishing club that may be in your local area. They can perhaps take you to new and different fishing spots.

For the artificial-only enthusiasts here, I of course agree with you for the very most part. The goal here, however, as I see it, is to help a young man love fishing for life, and that requires some success in whatever is his right here and now.

Not sure what other state's fishing regs are, but that would be unlawful here in MN.

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 09:57 PM   #30
Stew

Illegal in MN, eh? I had no idea. It's perfectly legal in Florida. The only stipulation is that bluegill used for live bait must have been caught with hook and line, not by any other method.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.