Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-27-13, 05:37 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Girlfriend wants to fish

My girlfriend decided she wants to start fishing this year. We talked about reels and she said for starters she would be comfortable with a closed face or underspin reel. I never owned either and was wondering are there any of either that are capable of catching decent size fish? I don't want to get her a set up that won't last for a couple of years. Pro's and con's of closed face or underspin would be helpful. One other thing I always wondered about. Is it hard to change line on either type reel? I am lookiong for one that would be good for live bait and lures. I really don't think she will be tossing lures all day long.
Old 02-27-13, 06:26 PM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i hate both but have used them when a kid. they are very capable of catching big fish. heres what will happen just so you know. she will fish with it, and end up catching a pig. taking people that kow nothing seems to attract unusually large fish while you continue to catch nothing
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 07:51 PM   #3
nobass

the old zepco have been around for a while the were always good for pan fish. cableas have two in thier catalog that are in the 60 to 70 dollar range they might hold up better still would use light line . would respool right away i do not think the line that comes with them is all that good
Old 02-27-13, 08:10 PM   #4
Tavery5

The Zebco Omega would be one that I would look at. They are a little more expensive than say a Zebco 33, but they do have some quality to them. Pflueger makes a good one also, I can't recall the model, but I am sure a quick Internet search will give you results.
Old 02-27-13, 08:11 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bob.....when lisa started fishing with me, i gave her a spinning or open face (as we call it) reel. she has almost MASTERED it in ONE YEAR. start her out with that and i promise oyu she will learn quickly.

if oyu DO get her a zebco 33.....it wil work too but not if she gets a hold of a huge bass. i would put 10# test line on it JUST to make sure she has a chance. do NOT try braid on a 33, hahaha. don't ask me how i know ok? lol.
Old 02-27-13, 08:27 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Good for her and you! If there's any way possible, start her with a good spinning reel. If not then T's Omega will work. The timings good, take her out when the water warms up and the shallows are crawling with hungry fish. I'd suggest something simple like a KVD 1.5 or an SR7, tell her to chunk it out as far as she can and reel it straight back in. The fish will load up-hook themselves. She'll fell like a star and you'll look like a hero. The last thing I'd try to start a beginner doing is worming, even experienced people struggle to "feel" a bite and then there's the whole hook setting thing to deal with. What beginners need at first is confidence and fun and fish in the boat. Patience and encouragement is your part.....ever taught a girl to drive? Keep us posted-Good Luck
Old 02-27-13, 09:36 PM   #7
joedog

Closed face reels drawbacks,
Actually are harder to cast with any accuracy.
Hard to explain but the open and closing spool goes up and down to open and close. Any, and I mean any film small algae etc. (you know, line gets dark/green) and line and reel will bind quickly.
Usually don't hold much line so any line breakage means respool. Can't add must reline. Any knot at all will mess up the line lay.
Line lay is thee most important part of closed faced reels smoothness. Any bulking and reline. KVD line treatment is a MUST.
Advantage,
Push buton.

So think about a trigger spin.
Gets angler used to spinning. Second one you grab line in finger then grab trigger. Basically a spinning line hold but you pull trigger. Letting line release timing is automatic when you release the trigger. That's really the challenge to anyone new.

First one is a straight trigger.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquanthpx20.html

http://www.troutlet.com/Shimano-IX-S...Reel-P265.aspx

Now I'm not pushing brand, these were just easy cut and pastes and the concept is all I wanted to show.
I do know some anglers that only fish trigger spins.
Old 02-27-13, 09:46 PM   #8
keithdog

As far as spincast reels go, I think the Daiwas Goldcast reels are about as good as they get. Not cheep, but built very well for spincast, and perform very well. One problem I see with all spincast reels is line twist. And once the line twist starts, then it becomes common for the line to get pulled in and tangled inside the reel under the spool and wrapped around the spool shaft. My Zebcos like the 33 and Omega did it and the Daiwa will as well. I think they all will. So using a small ball bearing swivel snap will be advisable if you choose to go that route.
Old 02-27-13, 10:32 PM   #9
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I started out on a Zebco 33 and did just fine with it. I almost quit fishing when the hubby badgered me to death to learn to use a baitcaster and now I cannot imagine giong back to the closed reels. I hope y'all have a wonderful summer and you post lots of pics from her catching those fish!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 09:38 AM   #10
lilmule

Zebco 33 or close faced reels are the easiest to learn,my wife still uses them.
She has caught all sorts of fish from panfish to 2lb rainbow trout to a 3 lb largemouth and a 9lb plus catfish all on the ten pd test it came with,her favorite lure is a very large roostertail.Things got to be 1/2 oz.The whimpy rod that comes with one in a pkg sort of fits it well.
My first aba nationals back in the eighties I had two rods one a zebco other a bass pro pole and reel I had given 50 bucks for(at the time my pride n joy),weighed in fish on both at Kerr lake.I still have a very short spot rod in my arsenal with a 33 for tossing the small pins minnow and catching fun 12 in spots.Nothing else would toss one any distance.
My wife does prefer the stainless version.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 05:00 PM   #11
Old Hooker

My wife decided last spring she was going to teach me how to cast. Before I could say anything she picked up one of my Pro Qualifiers and let fly! Half an hour later I had cut about half the line out of it and still had the mother of all professional over runs to contend with. Got her a Shimano spinning reel and told her to not even look at mine again.. Main reason I got her that one (she has her own 33 from when she was a kid) was the 33's have a ungodly slow gear ratio.

Hey Ken, a topwater works a little better for a newbe than a crankbait. They can actually see the strike.
Old 02-28-13, 07:24 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
Hey Ken, a topwater works a little better for a newbe than a crankbait. They can actually see the strike.
Absolutely true for the fun factor!!! and of course every fisherlady is different but I had trouble (at first) getting Pam to learn the right cadences and hook set timings etc. Yes she could see the strike but when she failed to hook those fish her self confidence suffered. Baits like Spooks and Rapalas just frustrated her (and me) trying to get the right action or walking technique. Of course fast forward 3 years and she loves topwater baits and has skills to spare. I was just thinking about the first few trips.......
Old 02-28-13, 07:25 PM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

My 2 boys have the Zebco Omegas and they are pretty nice reels. I spooled them up with #12 Sufix and haven't had any issues. I do need to break down and clean them though.
Old 03-02-13, 01:43 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Another vote for the Zebco 33. That's what my wife uses when she fishes with me. Sounds like you got a good one, Bob!
Old 03-02-13, 11:30 AM   #15
bassinbob

Thanks Reb, and everyone else to. As soon as the weather warms some we're going to practice some on an open face spining reel. Joedog I think I have one of those old Shimano reels with the trigger on an open face spinning reel burried out in the garage with the old Ugly Sticks. If she can't get used to either of those then it looks like a Zebco.
Old 03-02-13, 02:10 PM   #16
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
As far as spincast reels go, I think the Daiwas Goldcast reels are about as good as they get. Not cheep, but built very well for spincast, and perform very well. One problem I see with all spincast reels is line twist. And once the line twist starts, then it becomes common for the line to get pulled in and tangled inside the reel under the spool and wrapped around the spool shaft. My Zebcos like the 33 and Omega did it and the Daiwa will as well. I think they all will. So using a small ball bearing swivel snap will be advisable if you choose to go that route.
Don't skrimp on price on closed face and you will be okay to a degree. Diawa and high end Zebco's are strong and smooth. My children caught a lot of fish on their Diawas & Garcia Abu-matics. For your GF if she really begins to get into it you can crank down all the adjustments on your baitcaster to let her get accustommed to it. Over time she can learn to fish anything you own.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 03:14 AM   #17
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
X2 on the goldcast feels from diawa. They are great reels and their metal frame and cover don't pop off as they get older like the cheapies. I have friends in Minnesota that use them for northern pike and they hold up to bigger fish. My first reel was a silvercast (a cheaper, smaller version of the goldcast) and it held up well for the abuse I put it through.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.