Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-13, 09:37 AM   #1
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Copolymer Line Application???

Title says it all. What is it? Ive done a little reading, is it a mono alternative? I understand its more buoyant than fluoro.
Is it as buoyant as mono?

What applications do you use copoly?

Differences between copoly & mono/fluoro.
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 09:52 AM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You (and most everyone else discussing fishing lines) are talking apples and oranges. The term "mono" refers to the number of filaments in the line. Most "mono" lines are made of nylon and extruded as one filament. Fluorocarbon lines are also "mono-filament" lines but made of fluorocarbon. "Co-poly" lines are "mono-filament" lines that are made of nylon AND fluorocarbon material. Each of these lines are MONO-filament lines. What you are wanting to know is the difference between NYLON, fluorocarbon and co-polymer lines.

Thank you for humoring me through my rant.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 10:17 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use copoly (Yo-Zuri) on most of my baitcasters and stopped using mono years ago.
I use it for it's strength and lower stretch properties. I'm not a fan of flurocarbon line, so copoly fills my needs for applications other than those where braid is a better choice. Only negative would be the line memory issue, common with most non-braid lines, but some KVD Line Conditioner helps with that.

One note about copoly (Yo-Zuri) and the "strength" claim. Yo-Zuri Hybrid rates their line test based on LINE DIAMETER (compared to mono) rather than it's actual breaking strength. Hybrid rated at 12# is coparable in line diameter to 12# mono, BUT the actual breaking strength is actually around 15# (apporx. 20% greater). I don't know why that's the way they rate their line, but it's important for a couple reasons.

If you fish for IGFA records (yeah, that's a stretch), their records are based on the breaking strength of the line (a sample is required when submitting a record fish). If you use Hybrid 10# test line and submit it in the 10# class - it will not qualify, as that line will break at several pounds over the class.

The other - and this one is reality based - If you currently fish crankbaits (example) on 12# mono, you could change to 8# or 10# copoly and your baits will run a little deeper and you may gain some casting distance, due to reduced line diameter. It's another reason I use Hybrid on all my crankbait rods.

I use braid for jigs & frogs and spinning reels. All the other casting reels are spooled with Hybrid, I really like it.

Yo-Zuri also makes a Hybrid Ultra Soft, which is better suited for spinning gear. It's a bit more supple and does not spring off the spool as badly as the regular Hybrid. Still not preferable to braid (IMO) but superior to mono - again due to the smaller diameter line you'll gain a bit of casting distance.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 01:02 PM   #4
joedog

First two posts are so very on the point.

Lines have now become insainly specialized to the point of flat out confusion!

I know anglers that use nothing but mono.
Others use nothing but co-ply.
Others fish braid exclusivly.
Some but very few use just Flouro.

Vast majority of serious anglers use combinations of the above based on technique they intend to fish. But still have thier favorite all purpose go to line.

So a lot comes down to personal preference usually based on experience.
Frankly I think that's part of the purpose of the 'specialization', (nano, braid, co-ply, mono), to get us to try new lines and slowly move up the price point.
Before braid came BACK into popularity, very few anglers would ever dream of paying $20 bucks for 125 yds. of line.
Now they got MONOs that sell for well above $20 per 125yds. of line.

Only want to make a note. Not all co-ply float.
Old 01-28-13, 02:14 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

I too prefer copolymer over standard mono and fluorocarbon. My favorite fishing line is McCoy Mean Green. I have used it for years and am very happy with its strength and sensitivity.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 03:10 PM   #6
T7HeadTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
I too prefer copolymer over standard mono and fluorocarbon. My favorite fishing line is McCoy Mean Green. I have used it for years and am very happy with its strength and sensitivity.
X2.
Floro is just to dam expensive...

To answer your question, I use to mainly use it ( 8lb ) test on my spinning rod, but now that I cant stand Floro, I use it on most my casting rods. Works great for my Crank baits, Square an Lipless. Really everthing.
I really like the Mccoy, and made here in the USA. Never had a problem with it, its been about 7 years now, maybe more.......
Old 01-28-13, 07:12 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For most of my fishing, I also use a copoly. Plines Flouroclear. It is a copoly line with a flourocarbon coating. Very small diameter, you get the best of both worlds. I dislike flourocarbon lines. Never could cast well with them, and they are expensive. I have on occation used a mono line for crankbaits and surface lures, but for the most part it's copoly for me. When I do use mono it's Sufix Elite. But that is only for open water applications.
Old 01-28-13, 07:50 PM   #8
islandbass

Not to mention, keep this in mind. Not all copolymer lines are equal and as a result, may have different goals or intentions sought for their make up. Sorry to add to the confusion.

Some are as already stated above, a blend of two or more monomers.

Or it might by nylon that is coated with a fluorocarbon.

Take a look at P Line's family of lines just to give you an idea of variation of combinations of line material. In addition to copoly lines, they also make braid, and even pure fluoro.

Some many lines, so little, time, lol.
Old 01-28-13, 08:12 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I use P-Line Floroclear for everything except topwater-fluoro sinks-and brad applications-pitching, flipping, fishing heavy cover.

I used to fish a lot with a guy on here named Flyrod who passed away a couple of years back and he turned me on to it.

I sure do miss fishing with him
Old 01-28-13, 08:18 PM   #10
Bassboss

Copolymer is very broad category.

It's simple multiple types of material put into a fishing line. Hence the word poly meaning more than one.

You can combine different materials to reach a different goal.. For example, P-line CXX is combination of different nylon line, the end result is a very tough, low stretch, and abrasion resistant fishing line, however it doesn't handle to greatest. This particular copolymer floats.

On the opposite end of the spectrum we'll take P-line C21 which is a nylon and fluorocarbon combined. The end end result here is a very well handling fishing line, with decent abrasion resistance and toughness. This line however sinks.

Now that's not to say all fluoro/nylon co polymer behaves like C21. We can take Yo-Zuri Hybrid, which combins fluoro and nylon. Hybrid however behaves more like CXX. It's tough, low stretch and abrasion resistant, and has decent handling (better than that of CXX).

You can use copolymer for anything from top waters, finesse fishing, and flipping jigs. Their's allot out there, you just have to research them or use them to find which ones fit your needs best.

Hope this helps you out. I had the same question when I started out experimenting with different fishing line, and that's what I've come to find.
Old 01-29-13, 10:43 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

OE is correct in his statement that technically, as long as the line is made one single strand of one material or polymer (whether it be fluorocarbon or nylon), it is a monofilament line.

Just like nylon mono and FC lines, copolymers vary a lot between brands and models. Take for instance P-Line Floroclear. A soft, supple copoly as manageable as the best mono. Or perhaps Yo-Zuri Hybrid, one I find to be stiff, have too much memory, and just be a plain mess (other are quite fond of it though, I may have gotten a bad spool).

I am personally not a big fan of copolymer lines. It's not because there aren't some great ones out there (and there are; think Floroclear). It's just because I cannot personally find many situations where a copolymer line fits my needs better than straight mono or straight fluorocarbon. I use FC for most of my fishing and there are some just as manageable as good nylon mono lines. I like the density, I like the abrasion resistance, I like the sensitivity.

My swimbait rod (small swimbaits like 4" BBZ, hollow bellys, etc) has P-line CXX on it. I use a heavier line and copolymer because FC is too finicky for this purpose, and mono has too much stretch (generally speaking). For this situation, I like the copoly.

People also like it on spinning tackle, which I have used Floroclear on spinning tackle and it does work. I just like braid better. Also, I've been using a good supple FC like Sunline Super Sniper on a spinning reel with good results.

Please be aware of much of the marketing hype around copolymer lines (well, any line for that matter). "fluorocarbon coated monofilament" does not give you the invisibility of FC with the easily manageable traits of mono. Your car has an invisible clear coat on it; does that make your car invisible? And remember, not all good FC is expensive, and not all copolymers are cheaper than FC.

BB
Old 01-29-13, 11:44 AM   #12
OkobojiEagle

A broad "GENERALIZATION" about monofilament lines of all materials... better manageability = softer = less vibration and more stretch = less sensitivity.

oe

hurray... made 100 post contributions... I wasn't aware I had that much to say!
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 12:13 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
A broad "GENERALIZATION" about monofilament lines of all materials... better manageability = softer = less vibration and more stretch = less sensitivity.

oe

hurray... made 100 post contributions... I wasn't aware I had that much to say!
I agree, for the most part. Density a lot to do with how well any material transmits vibrations. So while you could probably make that generalization between nylon monofilaments and between fluorocarbon lines, I don't think you can compare them to each other. A soft, supple FC (say Seagaur InvisX) is more sensitive than a hard, lower stretch mono (say Trilene XT?). That is due to the much higher density of fluorocarbon line.

I've made a similar generalization between FC lines many times before, including a few other variables that aren't relevant to nylon monofilament lines: more manageable, softer, less memory, more stretch, better knot strength, and less abrasion resistance general go together. While higher abrasion resistance and lower stretch goes along with higher stiffness, worse knot strength.

BB
Old 02-15-13, 06:11 PM   #14
Old Hooker

I use P-Line CX on all my rods except my topwater (Trilene XL floats so good) and my pitching rod (Power Pro braid). To me the CX just flat works better than any other line I have tried. Floro is too expensive and to big a pain too deal with IMO.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.