Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-15-10, 03:18 PM   #1
ripnlip
BassFishin.Com Member

Angry 2000 Skeeter Aluminum leaking

I just purchased this boat a few weeks ago and noticed it is leaking after the fact. When I purchased the boat, I inspected all the visable welds and they looked fine. The only weld i cant see is the center of the hull because there is another piece over it, that Im guessing is met to protect it. When I am fishing Ill turn the bige pump on every 30 min or so and it will pump water for 20-30 sec. I have no idea where is coming from.

It only seems to get water in it when I sitting and trolling while bass fishing. On days where I take it out riding with the wife and kids I get no water worth talking about.
ripnlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 04:29 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off, welcome to the forum. There's a bunch of great guys on here.
Secondly, did you take a test drive before you bought it? You might've noticed the leak then, but maybe not...
Third, one way to check for leaks is to park the boat on the trailer and use a garden hose to fill the inside with water. You should be able to find the leak by looking for water droplets beading up and dripping off the outside.
If you don't get any leakage while up running on plane, the leak might be up to the front of the boat, since that part is not in the water while running with the big motor.
Old 09-15-10, 04:47 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good advice Daniel, except for the very last part.

When the boat is on plane, most leaks will work in reverse; i.e, sucking water out of the boat. This is a result of Bernouilli's Principle, in which pressure is inversely proportional to velocity. Any water inside the boat is moving with zero velocity relative to the boat, while the water outside, is obviously moving faster. High pressure inside + low pressure below = SUCKAGE.
Old 09-15-10, 06:40 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Yep...if you trust them, they actually make 'duck bill' plugs that will open up when yer up on plane to pull water outta the bilge...I'm not so sure I would trust one long term though.
I think the idea of putting water in while it's on the trailer is a good one...may need to play with the bow height and look very closely for weapage.
Old 09-15-10, 08:18 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

I would look at all pump connections.. livewell most likely.

Capt Mike
Old 09-15-10, 10:27 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

When I first got my boat, I was getting a lot of water in the bilge - and since it's a glass boat with no damage, I was looking at connections where the bilge and livewell hose connections go through the hull. Filling her with water revealed that these seals were fine. In my case, come to find out that the deck access port above the bilge pump had a bad o-ring. Anytime I slowed down and water rushed in the rear, water could leak in through the plate.
Now I found a source that sold the o-ring pretty reasonable, but the shipping was outrageous. (I later learned that some auto parts store can make custom o-rings reasonably inexpensive.)
Anyway, rather than pay $20 for a .25 cent piece of rubber, I coated the sealing surface of the deck plate with marine silicone and stuck her on - I will still pry off if/when it needs to be done, and in the meantime, stopped the leak
Old 09-16-10, 08:39 AM   #7
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Same here Abby. When I first got mine, She took on a LOT of water. Learned that the guy before me must have left some water in the livewells during the winter. Both drain valves (plastic) were cracked.

Replaced one and plugged the other one. Will have to remove the gas tank to fix the other one, good job for the winter.

Now bilge stays dry as a bone, cep for a little backwash every now and then.

Hope this helps.

God I love to fish...
bobbygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 09:35 AM   #8
ripnlip
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for the reply. I am fishing a bass tournament this weekend, so I will try to dig into a little this afternoon or tommorrow.
ripnlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.