Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-23-08, 01:00 AM   #1
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default airbrush

Anyone in here paint crankbaits? I'm looking into getting into it for fun, but I don't know squat about airbrush kits. What should I be looking for in a kit?
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 03:13 AM   #2
S4il

Go to E-bay and search AIRBRUSH KIT

Old 12-24-08, 08:53 AM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

badger anthem 155. Its a great airbrush. Whatever you do, pick a dual action airbrush. I haven't done any crankbaits lately just because they take forever and junior year doesn't give me time to do anything, but I still airbrush the occaisonal T-shirt. The airbrush has made christmas gifts sooooo much simpler the last two years.

as to paint, try E'tac. good stuff.
Old 12-24-08, 12:42 PM   #4
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a Paasche single action airbrush for the last 30 years, and it still works fine. Dual action brushes offer more painting options, but you can't beat a single action brush for ease of cleaning and parts replacement. They're also easier to learn with, and a lot cheaper too boot.
Old 12-24-08, 02:13 PM   #5
66KingFisher

Doc, I don't paint crankbaits....yet....But,I've been airbrushing for over 30yrs...half of which has been professionally....and I highly recommend stayin away from those ebay or Airbrushcity.com "airbrushing kits"......buy yourself a quality name brand airbrush and a good compressor.....not those little diaphram units that come with those kits are sold as "airbrush compressors"....they are junk with a capital "J".....your much better off getting a small compressor that has a holding tank....i've seen small units with 1.5-2gal tanks on them at Walmart for less then $60....you might already have a larger garage compressor, and if so then you've already got that covered....you'll just need to have a regulator between the air tank and the airbrush so you can vary the pressure you use....I have a 6.5hp unit on a 65gal tank for my airbrushing....although that's overkill for most folks, I use it for full size spray guns as well as pneumatic air tools.

As for the airbrush....go with a name brand.....I prefer Iwata but i've also used Paasches for years....Badger also makes some nice stuff, as well as Peak and several other mfgs.....I highly recommend getting a double action brush...even if your just a weekend hobbiest....it'll take a bit longer to get the hang of it over a single action but it's well worth it in what you'll be able to do with it once you learn to control the trigger.

Check out www.bearair.com or www.coastairbrush.com or www.dixieart.com for all your airbrushing needs.

Feel free to hollar at me if you have more questions.....i'm happy to help.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 02:17 PM   #6
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

66kingfisher. All good points. Like I said my 1st and only gun is a H1a Paasche. I've used a hobby air compressor which has many drawbacks, but is a 100 times better then using those cans of compressed air. The only other thing that one should use is a water trap. Cheap, and worth their weight in gold, especially during the summer months.
Old 12-24-08, 04:12 PM   #7
66KingFisher

I'm glad you mentioned the cans of compressed air....they are a complete waste of money....those small hobby airbrush compressors are better....but just barely...lol. The water trap is also a good suggestion...I use a mini regulator/water trap combo next to my airbrushing station.....paintin during southwest arkansas summers can get a tad bit humid to say the least ,so they are a must.

Nuthin wrong with single action airbrushes....they have their place.....but if I only had one airbrush, i'd want a double action so i'd have the best of both worlds. To define single and double action......single action means your trigger has a single action.....you push it for air and paint, and they are mixed externally.......a double action brush is an internal mix and its trigger has two functions....push down for air and pull back for paint. This allows the user to apply a tiny amount of paint or a full blast of paint, or anything in between by just moving the trigger slightly.

Your Paasche "H" series airbrush set sells for around $45-$50.....while a Paasche VL or Millennium series double action brushes sell for around $60 for a set(ie:bottle and hose).

You can expect to spend somewhere between $60-$100 for a decent airbrush that'll last you from now on.

Airbrushes come in single or double action.......gravity or siphon feed.....meaning the paint cup that holds your paint is on top of a gravity feed brush....and a siphon feed brush usually has a bottle that hangs from the bottom of the airbrush......some airbrushes are side feed......you'll need to figure out what style will suit your needs.....gravity feeds usually require less air pressure since gravity keeps paint in the cup, while having to pull paint UP from a bottle hanging from below your airbrush requires more air pressure....sometimes much more.....it depends on the viscosity of your paint...thicker paints need more air pressure to create the vacuum needed to pull it up from the bottle.....water based acrylics are notorius about this....solvent based paints are much thinner and flow much easier....so your brush choice will depend on what type of paint your planning to use.....No ONE airbrush will do it all....thats why there are so many models....lol.
Old 12-24-08, 07:31 PM   #8
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Doc, I don't paint crankbaits....yet....But,I've been airbrushing for over 30yrs...half of which has been professionally....and I highly recommend stayin away from those ebay or Airbrushcity.com "airbrushing kits"......buy yourself a quality name brand airbrush and a good compressor.....not those little diaphram units that come with those kits are sold as "airbrush compressors"....they are junk with a capital "J".....your much better off getting a small compressor that has a holding tank....i've seen small units with 1.5-2gal tanks on them at Walmart for less then $60....you might already have a larger garage compressor, and if so then you've already got that covered....you'll just need to have a regulator between the air tank and the airbrush so you can vary the pressure you use....I have a 6.5hp unit on a 65gal tank for my airbrushing....although that's overkill for most folks, I use it for full size spray guns as well as pneumatic air tools.

As for the airbrush....go with a name brand.....I prefer Iwata but i've also used Paasches for years....Badger also makes some nice stuff, as well as Peak and several other mfgs.....I highly recommend getting a double action brush...even if your just a weekend hobbiest....it'll take a bit longer to get the hang of it over a single action but it's well worth it in what you'll be able to do with it once you learn to control the trigger.

Check out www.bearair.com or www.coastairbrush.com or www.dixieart.com for all your airbrushing needs.

Feel free to hollar at me if you have more questions.....i'm happy to help.
I really appreciate the information. I also want to buy an airbrush. I plan to use my garage size air compressor (Husky from Lowes I think) but I was told I need something called a moisture trap and a regulator. If the compressor has a regulator, do I still need another one? And what exactly does a moisture trap look like and are they universal, meaning if I bought this thing, would it be compatible with any airbrush? This has been really confusing. Being a visual learner, a pic of how everything is configured would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-24-08, 08:01 PM   #9
crankybait

looks like 66 got the whole cover I'll vouch for bearair.com, they are quick and have nice prices. Dixie is usually good too. airbrush.com (i think its linked with bearair) also has a real nice forum.

IB- a moisture trap is a fixture between the hoses, looks like this. They're universal, as far as i know
http://www.modelmakerhobby.com/hcar4027-2.jpg
Old 12-24-08, 09:07 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ib
the water trap cranky put up is about standard some ya can't see thru.you definatly need one with an air brush..

i use a pancake compressor i also use the regulator on the compressor to get my air brush to the right pressure..

give me a siphon double action air brush any day over gravity feed..

zooker
Old 12-24-08, 10:07 PM   #11
quenston

I dont want to hi-jack this but dont want to start a whole new thread where can I buy cranks that are unpainted? Sorry for the butt in!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 10:30 PM   #12
The Doc

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm looking forward to getting the stuff to paint my own. I have seen some of the custom painted cranks online and I says to myself "You could do that" with a bit of practice of course. I bought a 6th Sense crankbait online that was almost $40 and I cannot afford to buy a bunch of em, but unpainted blanks cost between $1 and $3 so I can get a bunch, paint em, and if I don't like the way it came out, just strip or sand the paint off and start again. What else, besides paint, and the airbrush (with components) will I need to get this started? Is the Iwata Silver Jet any good? I want something small that I can use on my kitchen table. On base housing doesn't have garages... http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Silver...ompressor.html

Last edited by The Doc; 12-24-08 at 10:38 PM. Reason: adding
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 10:33 PM   #13
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenston View Post
I dont want to hi-jack this but dont want to start a whole new thread where can I buy cranks that are unpainted? Sorry for the butt in!
www.vanndalizer.com
www.jannsnetcraft.com
www.barstows.com
www.customluresunlimited.com

Here's a few to get you started on the bug.
Old 12-25-08, 10:21 AM   #14
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I think you meant www.barlowstackle.com

I 've hand painted a couple w/o airbrush, and I got them from Net Craft.

BB
Old 12-26-08, 06:20 AM   #15
islandbass

Cranky and Zook,

Thanks! That is very helpful. Now that I know what to look for, I just need to decide on the airbrush.
Old 12-26-08, 05:11 PM   #16
Carolina_Chip

you can get your best variety of unpainted cranks from janns netcraft
Old 12-27-08, 10:25 PM   #17
66KingFisher

There really are alot of nice airbrushes out there in the $60-$100 range.....Go with something from Badger if you want American made......I think everything else comes from overseas. Look at spare parts prices also.....you'll always be needing new bottles, tips or needles.....if you use it much that is.....Iwata parts are usually more costly than other brands, so thats also something to concider.

Doc, as for that Iwata Silver Compressor, I really can't say how good it is as i've never used one......I will say this.....if your working out of your kitchen then i'm assuming your going to be spraying waterbased paints.....most waterbased stuff is thick enough that if your using a siphon feed brush that your gonna need some serious air pressure to get things to work correctly....i'm talkin 30-45psi....those smaller compressors just can't keep up that kind of pressure that why I always recommend a unit with a storage tank.....allows you to pump up more pressure and hold it.....the compressor can stop running and cool off before the tank pressure has dropped to the point it kicks on again.....those little units run all the time and get hot which usually means they wear out alot sooner.

One other thing to consider if your painting out of the kitchen......noise.....compressors can range from dang near silent to just pretty damn loud.....the silent ones cost alot more but don't make anymore noise than a refridgerator.......I'm guessing that Iwata compressor isn't too noisy but i'd bet after you use it you'll wish you had more air pressure than it'll provide.

I have one last word about airbrushing in the kitchen........"Ventilation"......make sure you've got plenty.
Old 12-28-08, 11:15 PM   #18
The Doc

I'm making a painting hood that vents to the outside. I have a window fan that I can connect to 2 dryer hoses that vent to a window. That ought to do the trick.
Old 12-29-08, 01:53 PM   #19
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I have a Paasche single action airbrush for the last 30 years, and it still works fine. .
Get the Passche and have fun!
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 08:01 PM   #20
66KingFisher

Paasche's are great airbrushes.....i've been using them since the mid 70's...in fact i've still got and use my very first Paasche VL series I got in high school.....but its a double action....I still believe thats the way to go, but thats just me.
Old 12-31-08, 07:23 PM   #21
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

what type of paint can u use foe hand painting balsa lures? i got bored one day and carved one, now im curious if it would work....itll problably the only one i do...and also what type of coat would u put on top so the paint doesnt come off?
Old 12-31-08, 07:36 PM   #22
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihnclb22 View Post
what type of paint can u use foe hand painting balsa lures? i got bored one day and carved one, now im curious if it would work....itll problably the only one i do...and also what type of coat would u put on top so the paint doesnt come off?
As to paint, any paint SHOULD work... Acrylic should be fine but I'm not 100% positive on anything else. As to coating, coat it with epoxy. Devcon 2ton, to be exact. Avoid the 5 minute epoxy stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.