Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-15-12, 06:03 PM   #1
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new motor break in

I just took delivery on a new 2012 nitro z6 with a mercury optimax pro xs 115. I have read brief section on the break in. However i am new to boating and could use any input on this subject. I am having an experienced boater take me out monday to show me the ropes. I am sure he knows all i ask but i just like to go preparred ya know. Thanks.
junyaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 06:36 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on the new boat Junyaah, my suggestion would be to follow the MFG's suggested break in program so you do not risk any chance of voiding a new boat warranty.

Good luck
Old 06-15-12, 11:32 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

SECOND TO WHAT TAVERY SAID! follow the directions WORD FOR WORD and i think oyu will be jsut fine. and welcome to the site.
Old 06-15-12, 11:52 PM   #4
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Junyaah, welcome to the site buddy. It's tempting to go ahead and bring er up on plane but don't do it. Follow right what the manufacturer says...you won't be sorry. Also, check to see if they recommend any maintenance after the first 20 hours or so. That is fairly common, I believe.
Old 06-16-12, 06:01 AM   #5
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

i will follow the directions to a tee but they are very brief. this boat has no guage to tell how many hours it has on it, guess i will have to keep a log haha....the book says to let it warm up at idle for 60-90 seconds for the first hour and then run it from 300-4500 rpms for the next 3 hours changing speeds frequiently. That is all it says, so am i correct in thinking the breakin process is just four hours long?
Old 06-16-12, 08:09 AM   #6
bamabassman

good question. hmmm if i were oyu, i would CALL the dealer and ask a MECHANIC, not the salesman, the mechanic and see waht he says.
Old 06-16-12, 08:41 AM   #7
bassboogieman

A log is never a bad idea. Especally with a brand new motor. A detailed history of the break in period and ANY and all maintenece done to that engine will be a bonus at resale time - should that ever arrive - or should you have any issues with warranty or other work performed. An hour meter is not an expensive addition, but best done before you put time on the engine. That would be a good addition for the log, including hours on the motor at the time any work is performed, in addition to date. Good luck and Welcome Aboard!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 12:44 PM   #8
lilmule

Log and one thing I havnt heard about double oil first ten hrs,unless the new ones dont need that.Etec doesnt now havnt a clue if merc followed suit.Also avoid using synthetic during break in,after break in its fine.
Be best to put in a call to your merc rep,rather than take advise from everyone except them.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-16-12 at 12:57 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:10 PM   #9
junyaah
BassFishin.Com Member

yes i plan to call him first thing monday morning. Just wanted to get input from experienced boaters. Every little bit helps ya kanow.
Old 06-16-12, 04:07 PM   #10
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The break in is basically 3-4 hours on a Mercury. The computer double oils the motor for 10 hours. The break ins aren't like they used to be. They really just don't want them to idle or be at wide open throttle for to long. They also don't want the motor trimmed up past level for 3 hours of run time. Run the motor at 3/4 throttle and very rpm every few minutes and you will be fine.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 04:31 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Log and one thing I havnt heard about double oil first ten hrs,unless the new ones dont need that.Etec doesnt now havnt a clue if merc followed suit.Also avoid using synthetic during break in,after break in its fine.
Be best to put in a call to your merc rep,rather than take advise from everyone except them.
I am not saying that avoiding synthetic is the wrong thing to do but I haven't heard that before. In fact I think that Mercury recommends you run their Optimax oil and it's synthetic.

Calling your dealer is the right thing to do. But I think the first hour has to be below a certain RPM level and not trimmed up. And then after that you can drive it as hard as you want but need to vary your speed every so often. The motor is set to double oil for so many hours and then it will automatically go to it's normal oil ratio. This is just what I have heard from guys who run Mercury motors. I am running an Etec now, which has no break in time.
Old 06-17-12, 10:36 PM   #12
Bender

I agree with boogieman about the hour meter, I wish I had installed one on my boat as soon as I bought it and I will do it if I ever buy another. I think they are $30-$50.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.