Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-17-12, 06:49 PM   #1
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Most stable 19' bass boat

Looking to move up to 19' fiberglass bass boat. Currently fishing from a Ranger 617 2005. I really like the boat but as I get older, that rocking motion from whitecaps or from wake boarders is taking a toll on my back. Which 19 foot boat will give me the most stable platform for fishing. I really do not travel long distances on the water so stability while fishing is my priority. I am looking to buy used between 2005 and 2010. Thanks in advance.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 07:41 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well, in my opion only now. pheonix would be my first choice (if money is no object, AND oyu can find one for sale), other than that...ranger, stratos, triton, procraft all have great rigs. i think the best bet is for oyu to get in one and try it out.

and jsut outta wodnering....why not go ahead and get a 20-22 footer?
Old 06-17-12, 07:53 PM   #3
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Will not fit in the garage.
Old 06-17-12, 09:35 PM   #4
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm pretty sure this is a Ford, Chevy, and Toyota type of question. I have a Triton 17' boat so I will say Triton. Another guy who has a Ranger will say Ranger and the 3rd guy that has a Bass Cat will say Cat and the 4th would say Skeeter.... You really can't tell until you are in all boats and put them in chop and see what one you like the best.

If it was me and I knew I was pigeon-holed to get a max length boat I would really look at engine warranty (if any of the boat had one) and what your local dealer services and how well you like the service. IE - if you had only a really good Merc mechanic I may not want to buy a BRP motor.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 10:33 PM   #5
Bender

I haven't been on too many 19 footers, but I've spent some time on a Skeeter ZX200 (19'6" I think) and it seemed very stable. I have a Stratos 18'6", and know what you mean. It might be hard to find exactly what you want without going up in size though. Maybe just go compare hull weights and then look at the heaviest ones.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 11:41 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Rocking in whitecaps or from wakes is just about unavoidable in a bass boat. Heavier hull will help a little and Ranger has one of the heaviest, I believe. Longer also helps, as will turning the bow into the wave/wake which is better than taking them from the side. But if you have white caps the low slung bass boat will get rocked.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 07:46 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I go with the above poster. They're all pretty much stable in water that's calm or with a light breeze. Add in boat wakes, water maggots, "pleasure cruisers" (AKA plow jockeys), and around here, river barges, and any of them can get a bit tippy, although some more than others.
Old 06-18-12, 11:41 AM   #8
MississippiBoy

"Plow jockeys" is a new term for me. I like it, and it describes a lot of those idiots perfectly. I'm using that one......

I agree with most of what everybody has already said. There will be different boats with different degrees of stability, but none of them are going to give you an extremely smooth platform when you're dealing with those monster wakes from the pleasure boat crowd. Especially when they drive like they have the whole lake to themselves and cruise by 30 feet from you. The only thing to do in cases like that is to turn the nose of the boat straight in to the wake and hang on. Even then, I've had wakes crash over the bow and give me a good rocking.
But, I figure the main things to consider are the length, beam (width), weight of the boat, and maybe the draft. Bigger is better in this case, so the longest, widest, heaviest, deepest boat you can find will probably be your best bet. By the way, that pretty much eliminates aluminum boats from your options. You're limited as to length, so find a few 19' boats you like and check out their specs. Although you might consider a trailer with a swing-away tongue that would allow you to fit the boat in a lot smaller space....I think they save you a couple of feet with it unpinned and swung back.

On a tangent to your boat choice, let's talk about how you're fishing....are you standing up unsupported, sitting down, leaning on a "butt" seat, do you have a recessed tray for the trolling motor pedal? There may be different things you can do there to help with your back. I know in my case, my back was always killing me halfway through the day whenever I leaned against a butt seat. Last summer, I experimented fishing without it, and liked that a lot better. I had a lot less stiffness and pain at the end of a full day fishing than I used to have at noon. So for me, no butt seat is better. You mileage may vary, but it's something to think about. Also, many many people have said the best thing they've ever added to their bass boat has been a recessed trolling motor pedal tray. That puts the top of the pedal pretty much level with the deck, so you don't ahve one foot higher than the other...you're pretty much on level ground.
Good luck....let us know what you come up with.
Old 06-18-12, 07:31 PM   #9
bamabassman

also...if it hasn't been mentioned, the new trailers have this new fangled "folding tounge", you might look into that when looking ofr a new rig.

and i love the term "PLOW-JOCKEYS". HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 06-18-12, 07:36 PM   #10
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Great questions Mississippi. 11years ago I was lucky to have a double level spinal fusion. I do mean lucky because I still fish and work. But because of that I fish almost exclusively sitting down. I do spinnerbaits, swimbait, jerkbait, ans swimming jig fishing. Very little finesse or vertical fishing. I have enjoyed the new Terrova and it's spot lock system. With regards to dealers, the only 1 in my area that I have confidence in deal with Mercs and Evinrudes. All the above comments are helpful and perhaps I was wishing an easier solution to these wave problems. I thought 19' (that is already with a swing away trailer tongue) would be easier and more comfortable for fishing. It's sounds like wind and an occasional wake boarder might be far better than what some off you guys are fishing in. Thanks again
Old 06-18-12, 08:08 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

I have a Triton 21X and to be honest it isn't all that stable when you are taking waves in the side. It isn't that bad, but it's certainly not the most stable boat out there either. It is however more stable than the Ranger I traded in on it, but then again the Ranger was 19' and the Triton is 21'. I bought the Triton because I loved the ride and layout of the boat and I was willing to sacrifice somewhere, and that just happened to be stability. I will say that I have been in 2 different Champion 210 Elites and they are a very stable boat. I have also fished out of a Champion 198 and it wasn't nearly as stable as the 210 Elites or for that matter as my 21X, but considering it is a 19' boat it wasn't that bad either. I don't really care for quite a few things about these Champions, but they are pretty stable boats. What your going to find is that in order to get one thing out of a boat you will probably give up something else that you like better about another brand, and that's just the way it goes. I seen where Phoenix was mentioned in an earlier post and I can't say whether they are stable or not because I haven't ever been in one, although I will say that they are great looking boats with great layouts. Like was mentioned above the heavier hulls will help you a little, and that being the case I would take a look at Charger also. I haven't been in one but I know that they handle rough water really well and I would bet they fish just as well. Also keep in mind that they wider the boat is, the more stable it will be as well.
Old 06-18-12, 09:54 PM   #12
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a 2012 Triton 19XS and it is the most stable boat under 20 foot I have ever been in. Triton changed the hull and went with a deeper hull and I have been very impressed. I ran Ranger and Skeeter before that and would Consider Skeeter the next best in stability.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 11:47 PM   #13
lilmule

Going to a hand control unit with ext handle and a foot on off switch will help that back as not poised on one foot,stays in place turn on off with the foot switch.
The others are correct width and beam and to some degree weight depending upon where its located,when rough run bow down wont jump around,I can run a 17 1/2 ft boat on ky lake in 3 fters just have to run bow down and slower,as for cabin cruiser wakes no boat made to fish in will be pleasant,not even 21 and 22 fters.
The older rangers dont have a hull well suited to chop as they beat one to death ,having owned a 191/2 ft 373v,triton,statros,procraft,skeeter for rougher water.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 06:43 AM   #14
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
"Plow jockeys" is a new term for me. I like it, and it describes a lot of those idiots perfectly. I'm using that one......
You may also want to add "BBK" (Bass Boat Killers)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.