Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-21-12, 09:19 AM   #1
go_spider
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm buying a 89 mercury 150 black max for my 24ft pontoon as of now it has a
Laser II prop. Should I change it ?
go_spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 10:14 AM   #2
Dadilator
BassFishin.Com Member

Unless the black max came off of a pontoon boat I would think you'll need to drop a couple of pitches due to the barge it's having to push. I would be suprised if you ever get within 500rpm's of the max for that engine. I have a 120hp on a 21 fishing barge and my max rpm's is 4400. a smaller prop just cavitates too much.
Dadilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 01:36 PM   #3
go_spider
BassFishin.Com Member

So what about a 20p to 21p?
go_spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 04:45 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Best bet would be to call a dealer for a recommended prop. We'd only be guessing and props ain't cheap. A dealer can give you and answer, rather than an opinion. A 150HP on a bass boat would turn a 23P fine, on a pontoon a 21P may be ok but that's only a guess and that's for a 3-blade, with 4-blade you may have to go down another pitch.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 03:56 AM   #5
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs down Horror Alert

Whatever you decide to purchase DO NOT buy from PROPCO. I recently had to replace my prop. It was my first boat so i thought that the best thing would be to replace what was already on the boat. I got the part # and called them. The women on the phone said sure not a problem we can get you a replacement in 2-3 days. This was on a Sunday. When my prop still had not arrived by Thursday I called them back and asked what the problem was, she said they were out of the prop and that they had to run production. She said that it would be overnighted free of charge due to the delay. I waited all day Saturday and guess what no prop. So i tried calling that night and no one was in there office. I finnaly got my prop on Tuesday. That would be a total of ten days after i payed for 2 day shipping and when i get the box and open it i had a 30 dollar shipping fee. I called and they said sorry sir no returns are accepted on Shipping so after all that i hung up and next (hopefully there wont be a next time) time ill just use overtons long story i know but word to the wise.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 02:25 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

question...jsut how fast are you wanting to go on a pontoon? 150 hp? i had a 20 footer with a 70hp johnson and it would go plenty fast enough. even carry a skier or 2. not wanting to sound like i am being mean, but 150 hosses will make that thing FLY. i always think of a pontoon as a "cruising" babe platform. something good for family to relax and kids ot tow around on a tube type of rig. or if oyu're single...BABE party lol.
Old 06-22-12, 03:19 PM   #7
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I thought I would add to this discussion instead of setting up a new thread...if I may. I have a Bass Tracker aluminum mod v 17'7 and it has a 60 four stroke on it. Would it be worth my money to step the prop up from the 3 blade black prop that was stock to something like a four blade trophy sport? I would like better hull shot even at the cost of speed. Is it going to make $400 of difference?
Old 06-22-12, 03:55 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Same question was asked in another post in this particular forum, same Tracker & 60Hp but it was not mentioned if 2 or 4 stoke. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=32785

Not to repeat, but going to a 4 blade from a 3 you would normally drop one pitch. You may impove hole shot but with a 60HP probalby not appreciably, as you do not have the torque of the bigger motors or (in most brands) over the same size 2 stroke. Worth a $400 difference, that depends how much $400 means to you, it would not for me. The big thing with a 4 blade is the advantage of it's bite at speed, usually a boat will handle a bit better with one.

My big issue with Tracker is that they underpower their alum boats to keep the price down. After purchase and using it, owners want to improve the performance and with the small outboards have little opportunity to do so. The upside is - you don't burn as much gas.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.