Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-13-12, 02:10 PM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I should know this but .....

My old barge has a 24v troll motor. I don't have an onboard charger so I rely on a portable unit. My question is; Do I need to disconnect the batteries from each other to charge them. I've been disconnecting them and charging them one at a time. What would happen if they were not disconnected. 12v charger. Like I said, I should know this but my brain is fading. "is that you, Mother?
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 03:33 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Even an onboard charger if 12 v will charge each battery one lead to pos one to neg without disconnecting,I have an external and dont diconnect but do place leads on each battery separately.Only if you place one lead on one battery and other lead on second battery are you asking for trouble.So treat as if one battery,do one then charge the other.
Connect wrongly it will tell you even without the charger on it will attempt to arc wield.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 08:51 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i had a 24v and and had it hooked up once before too top tiger. had ot use 2 chargers and hooked them to the batteries without taking off the cables. it never did anything to my batteries doing that. i put a charger on each battery, and left them hooked up to the troller adn to each other. never had a problem.
Old 06-23-12, 10:32 AM   #4
Brudd
BassFishin.Com Member

You don't need to disconnect them to charge them individually.
Brudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.