Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-03-12, 10:38 AM   #1
bottomfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hydraulic steering

What's up fellas.. Looking to upgrade to hydraulic steering on my 06' xpress X-17 with 06' 115 4S Yamaha. I know it's typically not recommended till 150 HP, but I'm still wanting the luxury of having it. I'm not looking to be talked into or out of installing it, as I'm 100% sure I'm want to. I'm looking for recommendations on "quality" makes and models from you guys that have experience with them. Thanks
bottomfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 10:42 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have any experience with hydraulic steering, but the biggest brand out there is the Seastar and Baystar systems by Teleflex. The Baystar is for up to 150hp motors, the Seastar is for 150hp+.
Old 07-03-12, 12:40 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is interesting. what is the cost of this?
Old 07-03-12, 12:59 PM   #4
lilmule

Basically baystar to 60mph,seastar thereafter,cost for seastar is more about 900 but can be had at times for less,installation is the harder part one often has to cut a hole for the wheel pump.That small no feedback steering would do nicely for about 400.
Few years ago their cost was well over 1000 they have come down,one went for 699 the other day on ebay and was a seastar.
I almost bought a 201 pro the other day he had hydraulic steering and was taking it off replacing with standard all because new he gave 1300 for it used now worth 300-400 same as a new standard setup when buying it all,cost him a sale.
On a small rig like that almost overkill,the normal teleflex nofeedback steering wont be hard to install or operate.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 01:12 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I have to agree with lilmule, the benifit vs expense (on your boat), not to mention installation & modifications to accept the hydraulic pump, is a bit much. A no-feedback cable steering would be a simple upgrade with no mods to fit a pump. But it's your boat and your money, spend it as you like. If you're set on hydraulic then Baystar would be the way to go.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 08:08 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

I have Seastar on my last two big boats 21 and 22. After four or five years the seals tend to weep and leak a bit. After 12 years they pour fluid out. The kits to replace them are not expensive but a major pain to remove the castle nuts on the slide shaft. It is a odd feeling to not have steering to port at 40 mph.. So you need to check and fill every time you go out.

I think it is overkill for setup. The no feedback however is a good idea.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.