Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-18-12, 04:15 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Battery Suggestions

I need to replace my troller batteries. I have looked at alot of batteries. I cant see putting optimas in my 3500 dollar boat. Do any of you use anything other than Optima. I looked at quite a few batteries. Im kind of lost i need something that will power a 24V 70# Maxxum Minn Kota. Any and all help is appreciated as usual.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 06:15 AM   #2
SaminVa

I've been using the interstate batteries with good success. I have the same trolling motor as you. I use a Guest 2 bank charger as well
Old 07-18-12, 09:43 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I go with the Walmart batteries. I'm on year 2 with one battery and 3 with another and they are going strong. Decca (sp?) makes a really good battery as well. Go big, or go home (group 29-31)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 01:27 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I prefer AGM batteries. More expensive, certainly. NO maintence is why I like them but the power and reservse capacity is good also. I've got four in my boat, and I don't worry about them other than plugging in the charger after fishing. My issue with wet cell batteries is the maintence, they constantly lose water through evaporation and the charging process. That evaportaion is the main issue with battery life, low water levels will kill a battery quickly. I am very poor at remembering to check battery water levels and killed a few in the past. I went to AGM, partly to eliminate that issue and the fact that they will not freeze over winter so I leave them in the boat. If you're good at checking them and adding DISTILLED water often, then wet cells will save a few bucks and they are pretty dependable. As MIbasser mentioned, bigger is better if you have room and can tolerate the additional weight. I have four, size 27, Cabela's AGM in my boat and they handle my eletrical requirements just fine. They happen to be on sale now (save about $40/each on the 27's).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 04:27 PM   #5
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I go with the Walmart batteries. I'm on year 2 with one battery and 3 with another and they are going strong. Decca (sp?) makes a really good battery as well. Go big, or go home (group 29-31)
X2 on the WalMarts!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 04:38 PM   #6
Top Tiger

I've been using 12 volt golf cart batteries. If you can stand the extra weight
( about 15lbs more than deep cycle grp. 27 ). You can't beat them for holding a charge.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 07:52 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well....i have had good service witht he interestates. but now have to replace 3 batteries....ain't seen a battery yet that can hold up to a bolt of lightening, hahaha!
Old 07-19-12, 03:04 AM   #8
Hoosier

Bama I too have 3 interstate marines in my boat. I looked and saw that there are quite a few different cranking amps and all that bs anyone have a solid suggestion for me to take a look at before i hit the water this weekend.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 06:54 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hoosier...IF i could afford it...i WOULD get the jell batteries. jsut my opion.
Old 07-19-12, 10:15 PM   #10
nobass

if you want jells battry plus is haveing a sale on there brand 234
Old 07-20-12, 07:14 AM   #11
F16 1UB

Default Wal Mart Ever Start

I've been a tournament supporter of Ever Start batteries since day one. My last purchase of 27 series batteries failed less than a year & almost within a week of each other. I was astonished. The batteries tested faulty with dead cells. Water levels were always maintained & charged. I noticed from my 3 bank charger that 1 battery was not charging. I had it tested and it was bad. Within a week I had an instant replay & the other battery did the same. And NO there's nothing wrong with the charger. Battery receipts were presented to Wal Mart. The batteries were traded out at no cost. It's been 6-8 months with new ones installed & no problem.

When you purchase new batteries DO NOT PUT RECEIPTS IN THE BATTERY POUCH on the side of the battery. Keep them in a safe place inside the house.

You can say 1 brand battery is better than the other but do your research. Mfg's of different brands may be the same.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-12, 11:35 AM   #12
Abbeysdad

I'm no expert...
I have a Walmart Big Maxx battery for my TM. I believe it's made by Johnson Controls, the largest of the three major battery manufacturers. I've had it for 3 years. It only sees light duty. It goes in the basement for winter and I charge once a month. I'm happy with it.
Old 07-20-12, 04:11 PM   #13
lilmule

I use auto zone or walley world stuff 75 bucks is my top end limit and they last three years.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 12:32 AM   #14
merc1997

here is my two cents worth on batteries. east penn batteries are the best. that includes automotive and marine applications. i was in the auto parts business my entire life. we sold east penn and other leading brands. the warranty rate on east penn batteries was three tenths of one percent of all east penn batteries sold. the warrany rate on all the other brands was over 5 percent. which is the best battery with those facts is a no brainer. east penn hands down.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:39 AM   #15
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'll never use any other battery other than AGM. It seems they deliver more power to the TM, don't need a trickle charge in winter because they hold their charge FAR LONGER than liquid acid types or gel and I suck at checking fluid levels. AGMs last up to 5 years and longer making the price worth it.

JMO
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:55 AM   #16
F16 1UB

Default Good Choice

East Penn Mfg sold batteries under the Deka brand and are made in the US.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.