Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-12, 09:26 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default First bass buggy

So as you guys may know i am 15, but its never to early to look for a bass boat of some sort. I was looking at something like http://www.basspro.com/Uncle-Bucks-P...0204570/100475 transporting wont be bad my dad has a truck and i will be getting one when i turn 17. Do you guys think it would be smart move to get one of these? I would just electric motors. and i live in New Jersey so not that many big lakes...
Old 05-13-12, 12:19 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They are easy to transport, and stable to fish from. You can easily carry them into areas that are difficult to impossible to get a trailer loaded boat into. It partly depends on how much geat you wish to take with you. If your taking just a couple rods and a small tackle bag, it's ideal.
Old 05-13-12, 07:57 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Uh Wally world has cheap yaks 200-250
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 02:20 PM   #4
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
They are easy to transport, and stable to fish from. You can easily carry them into areas that are difficult to impossible to get a trailer loaded boat into. It partly depends on how much geat you wish to take with you. If your taking just a couple rods and a small tackle bag, it's ideal.
I only have a total of 6 rods and like 70 lbs a gear.... so i think i might just get one in a few weeks
Old 05-13-12, 07:44 PM   #5
Bassboss

Friend of mine had one of those we used to fish out of! Only any 8 footer, it was for for one person, when you squeezed two 200 pounders in there it was tight to say the least.

Very stable, and easy to throw on your back a hike a short distance through the woods!

If you can, go for it!
Old 05-13-12, 09:38 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Definitely, Scott! I fished for a few years (and still have it) from a Sun Dolphin Sportsman.
Pretty much the same boat, basically.

That was the first I ever spent any real time away from shore, and I gotta tell you, get ready! That first year I hit like 12 different lakes!

Not at all difficult to get in and out of a pickup and even easier in a minivan. The seats that come with it (mine did anyways), are a nice height for sitting comfortably, with room for tackle bags underneath. Very stable for fishing standing up.

I really enjoyed mine before I switched over to a yak. I used Walmart's bigger of their 2 deep cycle batteries and a 30# Minn Kota troller (go bigger than 30 if you can, kayakers always passed me).

I will tell you this though. Keep an eye on Craigs list and local classifieds.
You could possibly get one much cheaper.
Old 05-13-12, 10:30 PM   #7
WTL

Not the best idea, but it will work.

Even after you drop 500+ on that, you need a tm, a battery and a charger. By that time, your convenience has done sailed. You have a heavy, slow boat with no outboard and limited range.

Scott, Ive been there. I was once 14 and I tried the float tube, I bought the fullsized raft, I even used a small v with a tm for a while. Get a kayak. Its cheaper, faster, lighter, more coveinent, quieter.
Old 05-14-12, 09:28 AM   #8
aikenyounggun

3 words: Used John Boat. Little indestructable, semi-light boats. And they can be a good bit bigger. You still end up needing a trolling motor, battery, and charger, but the paddle will work until you get all that. Or the paddle will always work. And that way you can take friends and family with you.
Old 05-14-12, 11:25 PM   #9
Crankbait

I hear what a lot are saying and I would say this….you could go cheaper with a kayak or even a Jon boat…..but for stability I don’t think you can beat the bass buggy. I am not a huge fan of Jon boats because I like to stand…..also it depends on how obsessed you are with fishing……if you don’t plan on being on the water a lot go cheap…..but if the bug has bit you get something you will like. I don’t think there is anything wrong with starting out electric. Check out the waters you plan to fish and see what the traffic is like….meaning are there a lot of power boats on the waters? Also see if you have any electric lakes out. Oh while we’re talking of boats I have to throw in the sea eagle……. I used to roll this thing up and put it in the back of my ford focus…….but then I added a few things and had to get a trailer……fun boat for electric only.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 02:50 AM   #10
WTL

He is 15. I am assuming a limited budget. Once you near 1k, Id frankly look into used real boats on craigslist with motors.

If he is dealing with 500, its gotta be a kayak. For the amount he saves, especially if he goes used, he could put it towards electronics and other tackle.
You can get used kayaks on craigslist for $200. Im also thinking not much can break on a yak, wheras batteries die prematurly all the time as do trolling motors. That hurts a 15 old all the more, cause it takes longer to replace.

Btw, crankbait does have one of the better electric only setups Ive seen.

Last edited by WTL; 05-15-12 at 02:57 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 07:22 PM   #11
Scott the fishman

I see what everyone is saying about the other boats. I can only go when my dad or brother (hes 17) takes me in my fathers truck. Also i live in New Jersey and a lot of lakes are electric the biggest lake in nj i think is like 4 sq miles and i most likely wont fish there due to the distance from my house to there......So i really dont think i need a gas motor.... And I was looking at kayaks i do have a fishing one but my mom wont let me saying its 'unsafe' when i can self rescue know how to swim and always wear a life jacket but ya know she is the mom. I also already have a trolling motor and battery and charger but i forget how many lb thrust it is.... thank you so much for all the input it means a lot
Old 05-15-12, 07:41 PM   #12
WTL

Well, you gotta listen to your mom.
Old 05-15-12, 08:35 PM   #13
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Well, you gotta listen to your mom.
Haha yea i know
Old 05-15-12, 09:01 PM   #14
Dave63

Get it. Use it and have fun. They are stable as can be. Portable. A 35 pound motor will make it go just fine. I used one for years and my friends and I caught tons of fish out of it.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:52 AM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Check out the price of some of these. I have bought 6 and donated all of them..

http://creekcompany.com/home.php

Capt Mike
Old 05-16-12, 01:28 PM   #16
Bender

I have a 10' version of the bass buggy. I haven't used it in a few years, mainly because when I lived in NY the lakes were too big and in MS there were gators. Now that I'm back in Michigan I need to get it out again. For getting on smaller lakes it is great and steady. It's not real fast with a 30# motor on it but it doesn't draw much water so you can go anywhere. I like the fact that the inside is flat and open, but you need to take all your stuff out before hauling it around. I bought mine used from craigslist after watching it for a couple of years looking for one. I have seen them on sale at places like Gander Mt. and Dicks for around $5-600 for the 10'er.

My main goal with the boat was something I could haul in the back of my truck without a trailer so it worked great. You could do the same with a small jon boat too. I've been looking for a used 2-3HP outboard for mine, but those are hard to find and it kind of defeats the purpose.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 09:24 AM   #17
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

I was able to buy a 14' john boat from a friend for $75. It was beat up, he'd rented it out when he was running a pay lake down here, but a little JB Weld in some places and one pencil sized hole aluminum welded and she's floating. It's definitely not the most stable thing (14' X 36") but as long as you don't stand up or make any real sudden moves its OK.

Look around on Craigslist for a used bass buggy or small john boat. I'll bet you can find something on there. Oh, and if Mom won't let you use the kayak, sell it for more funds for your boat or tackle. They made more. You can always buy another one later!
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 12:15 PM   #18
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Too bad you're not closer:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/3017655265.html
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 06:42 PM   #19
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Plenty of boats on craigslist in your area Scott, I'm not to far from you, and my suggestion would be to invest in a nice 'toon(check Lehigh Valley, PA C.L., an hour from you on 78). A 'toon can carry all your gear, trolling motor, batteries and electronics(and even lunch), transported by bike if you had to, but is easy to throw in to the back of truck, or on top of a car. You can stand, and even seated, you're higher than a yak.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 12:32 PM   #20
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Haven't had a chance to check in here in a while, but I need to make a point here.
Plenty of good suggestions, and several of them telling him to buy a yak.
Certainly not a bad idea, but coming from someone who owns both a yak and a similar boat to the one Scott is asking about, the boat is way more comfortable and way more stable than most, if not all yaks.

Plus any gear is much easier to get at
Old 06-26-12, 09:14 AM   #21
Dogmatic

Scott, just to show you what's out there, and really, you can trailer these with your bike...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3032233650.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3053423180.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/3037350894.html
http://reading.craigslist.org/boa/3101821370.html

the last one is the best deal...and you won't need your Dad, or brother for a ride.
Old 07-08-12, 10:37 PM   #22
Dogmatic

two more local(relatively) 'toons, the second one probably is one of the best...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3123204522.html
http://reading.craigslist.org/boa/3122449807.html
Old 07-09-12, 08:19 AM   #23
bassboogieman

Quote:
Certainly not a bad idea, but coming from someone who owns both a yak and a similar boat to the one Scott is asking about, the boat is way more comfortable and way more stable than most, if not all yaks.
I have a kayak and prefer it over my 21' Triton for my home waters as all that are close are electric only. The Triton is great for big water, but I'm trying to sell it now because I like fishing from the kayak more. I think a kayak is a terrific way to get started fishing OFF the bank. The smaller ones are easy to transport and pretty safe once one gets used to them, and outright FUN to fish from. The kayak I have is the ultimate fishing kayak (Hobie Pro Angler) and well out of the budget of the young man asking, but there is no need to go overboard (yes pun intended) with a top-of-the line 'yak just startiing out and unsure how you may like it. Many used ones available at very reasonalbe prices - and their popularity is really taking off.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 11:02 AM   #24
Top Tiger

Scott, pick out whatever kind of boat best suits your need. The one thing that you NEED to do is learn how to swim. Life jackets are great but you still need to know how to swim. Take lessons, local pool, lake or whatever. Besides that it's good exercise and when the fish aren't biting, it's great to jump off the boat (whatever it is) and go swimming.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 12:44 PM   #25
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
Scott, pick out whatever kind of boat best suits your need. The one thing that you NEED to do is learn how to swim. Life jackets are great but you still need to know how to swim. Take lessons, local pool, lake or whatever. Besides that it's good exercise and when the fish aren't biting, it's great to jump off the boat (whatever it is) and go swimming.
Yes Scott this is a must! Being scared of the water is just no way to live. Especially for a fisherman.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.