Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-06, 08:02 PM   #1
BassFisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up Clear water fishing

Where i live i fish Bull Shooals Lake i fish around a lot of banks and docks i use a jig or a lot of different plastics me and my dad,lil brother went one weekend and caught two both days the banks or sloped,lots of structure do any of yall and suggestions or any tricks that u would like to share

BF1
BassFisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 08:04 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Get a good pair of sunglasses for fishing an you can sight fish in clear water, then pitch you jig at them.
Also be aware of your shadow going down the bank.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 08:04 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i use zoom trick worms slowely jerked over structure in clear water.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 12:13 AM   #4
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Make sure you get polarized sunglasses if you want to pitch at em'. If they are up shallow enough for you to see them then they are proabably up chasing shad or some other type of bait. Try fishing medium shad or baby bass color (depending on your baitfish) crankbaits running them strait into the structure (you may lose one or two, lol) then let it float up to go over it. Also fish lipless cranks in between the cover running it as close as possible to the cover. Running it into the cover like the cranks will result in lots of retying. Fish them at varying speeds but mostly slower than normal (don't really know how to quantify that). Try throwing in a momentary pause ever three turns of the reel. This makes the bait stop and float up just a tad and gives the persuing bass a moment to catch up and eat it.

Also, try carolina riggin' little (< 4") tiki sticks, senkos or other small worm like plastics, colored to match the water, as close to the base of the cover as possible. I like using straight tailed for everything. If I do use a curl tail I usually dye the tail chartruse... just cause I can and it calms me! Any kind of SMALL soft plastic colored correctly and fished at the appropriate speed will catch fish year around. The key that I have found is to slow down and vary the presentation during the winter months.

Also, you can use the classic jig, blue/black, green, etc. Again, vary the presentation and don't be afraid to downsize drastically. The lake I fish has tons of cover and is extremely clear. Bluebird sky and 50 degree weather is about as hard a time to catch fish for me as it gets. I would assume that that is the same there. Anyway, hope this helps!

Jolly
Old 12-23-06, 07:26 AM   #5
zooker

rock=crankbaits trees, logs,and brush piles it is amazing what you can pull a square billed crank bait through.. fear no evil and go for it...

zooker
Old 12-23-06, 08:52 AM   #6
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

dropshot rig on 6lb flourocarbon or braid with flouro leader...hit all verticle structure
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 03:20 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
rock=crankbaits trees, logs,and brush piles it is amazing what you can pull a square billed crank bait through.. fear no evil and go for it...

zooker

He ain't kidding-I LOVE to throw a Bandit 100 series in flooded timber.
Old 12-30-06, 01:25 AM   #8
CacheCustomLures
BassFishin.Com Member

I would like to suggest you use a senko/Stick type worm with long casts and no weight around the docks. I make an 5" Xtreme stick that works great for shy fish at long distances. Get as far away as you can and make the cast and then let it sink to the bottom, then wait for the line to move. Be patient it doesnt require much action to attract fish from under structure. Try to match the color of the baitfish or if you cant do that match the color of the lake bottom. Light lines will help too. Dropshot can also be used in the same manner.
CacheCustomLures is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.