Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-12-12, 10:42 AM   #1
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Humminbird 570 DI questions

Anyone here have or ever used this unit? I am considering one and I have questions. The plan is for it to go at the bow of my old Tracker and mount the transducer off the TR motor. I have never had or used a DI before but for that price if it is worth it then I may get one.

Would like to know the goods and bads about this unit and things I need to consider. thank you!!
BigVolDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:50 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Apparently not...........but Humminbird is a top quality unit no matter the model, and for the price why not.

Welcome to the forums............most any other question will get multiple responses.
Old 04-15-12, 10:01 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Down image is nice if you fish deep water (15' +) structure, if you are mainly a shallow water angler and bank beater, then not so much. You get much better detail with the DI and that unit, for under $300 is priced at about the same price of a plain old 2-D sonar of just a few years ago. If you need new electronics, I'd say go with DI, just to have that availbility for deep water if you fish it occasionally. If you're just upgrading to get the DI, it would depend upon what your primary style of fishing would be.

I have two 'birds on my boat and both are DI/SI units. As a primarily shallow water, bank beater myself, I find the Side Imaging more useful than the Down Imaging feature.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 07:21 PM   #4
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thank you..

Thank you for the reply. I am mostly a bank beater. These lake up here have deep areas but it's rare that I have fish 20' or more. Now I will often have the boat in 20+ plus but I'm casting to the bank. I have never used my electronics to find deep structure because I have never had good enough stuff to do that. These lakes they pull down ever winter 25-35 feet so you can see the banks and most of us know wher stuff is. I really just want to upgrade my bow unit to a much better unit than the Eagle 320 that I have now. I may go with a best 2D color unit I can find for around $300
Old 04-16-12, 02:31 PM   #5
66KingFisher

In the for what its worth dept, my fishin partner and I, have been talking about getting this same unit....Like you we tend to just beat the banks and seldom fish deeper water structure, but in my way of thinking thats because we could never locate those spots with our current (inexpensive) sonar unit. So I can't help but wonder, "would I fish more underwater structure if I could locate it"?, and my answer is "Yes".....I think so.

So if I had $300 to spend, I'd go ahead and seriously look at the 570di.....Seems like your getting the old style sonar as well as the new down imaging sonar, and you can view them together at the same time, so its like the best of both worlds....Isn't it?
Old 04-16-12, 06:43 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
In the for what its worth dept, my fishin partner and I, have been talking about getting this same unit....Like you we tend to just beat the banks and seldom fish deeper water structure, but in my way of thinking thats because we could never locate those spots with our current (inexpensive) sonar unit. So I can't help but wonder, "would I fish more underwater structure if I could locate it"?, and my answer is "Yes".....I think so.

So if I had $300 to spend, I'd go ahead and seriously look at the 570di.....Seems like your getting the old style sonar as well as the new down imaging sonar, and you can view them together at the same time, so its like the best of both worlds....Isn't it?
I agree 100%. I'm also looking at the 570DI. I fish smaller natural lakes for the most part, but I still think it would be worth it.
Old 04-16-12, 07:35 PM   #7
lilmule

I have a different train of thought if you know its a hot spot and all you have is a single or dual beam then all a quad beam and all the 3 d in the world would do is give you a better pic and possibly tell you why(possibly not all things can be explained).
Meanwhile all those out there motoring around at idle because the expensive stuff cant read at speed are eating gas,even if you have one check maps,check computer programs for structure(like lake maps cd etc) make coordinates then go there,then look.
The higher def is a great tool for finding say curves in the channel easier and subtle drops,if one ledge fishes a great plus.For beating the bank a single beam , will be hard to beat-exception sidefinder.
I have a cure for the 3k sidefinder as well called a bottom line scout first sf ever made costs about 30 bucks off ebay,sees no structure just fish.
Each to his or her own but basically eye candy
I own fair amount of units including quad beams,simple ones generally read better for running than expensive ones,expensive ones see more do more,more or less depending upon what one does and what one needs.
A 100 dollar unit reads depth just about as good,and sometimes one brand will see thru grass and not see the grass and others outline the grass none are alike in that respect.It is what you need not want you want.If you need it then sure.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:15 PM   #8
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ok now I am torn again

Well everyone has good points, and to be honest I can see myself going either way and not be happy. If I dont get the DI I will wish I had and if I do get it and it does not make a big difference then I will be upset that I didn't just get a better sonar unit. Im not 100% sure (why I was asking the questions to start with) but I think the 570 DI has a good or solid sonar but is just not color. So my hope will be if I get the 570 that the sonar will be good enough or at least a big upgrade from my Eagle 320.

Man this one is going to take some thought... color or not. DI or not.. Hummingbird or Lowrance. $300.00 or $500.00.... what to do!!!
Old 04-16-12, 08:56 PM   #9
bassboogieman

As for color - I don't think any of the (speaking 'bird as I don't have Lowrance) DI or SI can deliver in color - yet. They are monochormatic, but you can change them to amber, blue or gray. Another issue with color is visibility in direct sun - the newer models are better than the older, but they are still an issue. I actually (before I switched over to Humminbird) took a color unit off my bow and went back to B&W because of that issue. With the 'bird 797 currently on the bow I have it on blue screen for the sonar, that helps quite a bit with the sonar side. The GPS side is color but I don't use it much at all up front. If you go with color, I would suggest mounting it on a RAM mount so you can adjust the screen away from direct sun as much as possible.

What unit are you using at the helm? You may want to put a DI/SI unit there if you're thinking of moving up the the $500 range, and move the helm unit forward (or retain the Eagle 320). A lot of options are available. The SI is a much better tool (IMO) than the DI, especially for the shallow water fisherman. You can see stuff several hundred feet to either side of your boat - things you would go right past and never know they were there - and some may be "fish hideouts"!

As for the SI, I definitely prefer the unit at the helm with the fixed transducer on the stern. The transducer on the t/m is more difficult to read - every time you change direction with the t/m the view warps. I'm told that can be reduced by slowing the screen speed, but I haven't tried that yet this season. I prefer to make a pass down a good looking piece of bank using the SI to give it a "once over" prior to fishing it. Marker bouys are handy to mark really good looking spots or structure found on that pass.

Good luck on the decision.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 11:11 AM   #10
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a lowrance 520c at the helm. It's has the gps even though I do not have a map card or even use it that much because I know the places I like to fish, and I have paper maps in the boat with places marked. However the sonar part of that unit is in color and is a big difference from the 320 at me bow. That's why I was thinking going color sonar at the bow and bypass the DI. I can get a good 700 series that is sonar only and in color for about the same price. I just don't know yet...
Old 04-17-12, 11:54 AM   #11
lilmule

Well dont buy models that are being discontinued or have but one transducer or two made for them ,or 2i as they dont link well.Latter was in case you wish to expand later.
Other than Di,you can buy an older used or even nib discontinued unit off ebay one of the wide versions,optic,vision,portrait that will operate quatro beam or tri beam and do the same as a new one,for 1/4-1/5 the money.With tribeam ducer about 100 bucks without as little as 40 -50 sometimes.Just got a portrait last night to go with a tribeam ducer I had.
They see about half as far to each side as depth.
And should you come to ky lake bring the map chip,or get very good insurance
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:09 PM   #12
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

lilMule can you explain a little better your last message? IS the 570 DI discontinued? or are you talking about the 728 unit that I was talking about. I think I messed up with my last post too. What I ment to say was I have a couple options in the 570 DI and the 728 units both being grayscale and in the same price range ($290) both have 640V x 320H 5" display and 4000 watts power. The 570 has the DI feature and only 12 grayscale and dual beam. The 728 has 16 grayscale and Dual beam plus. now I have no clue what the differences are in the two levels of grayscale or if the DB plus is that much better then the regular DB. OR I could go with the 586C unit that has color 640V x 480H 4.5" display but no DI for only ($325) the 586c looks to have lower watts power then the above two. (2400 watts) too.

Now I have not looked at the Lowrance units yet but I'm sure I can find a Mark 5 in the same price range too. Since I have a Lowrance 520c now should I stay with Lowrance so I can network them later? is that what you were trying to say?

Also what did you find on ebay?

what should I be searching for?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.