Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-06-07, 01:18 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Carolina rig idea

I've never heard of anyone using this technique, but was wondering if anyone here ever had tried this. I just started using the carolina rig last year. So I'm still getting the hang of it. I've never done this but it seems to me that it should work. On windy days wherre you seem to be spending more time controling the boat than fishing, how about using a caroilina rig and letting the wind drift you along with the rig trailing behind the boat. Drift fishing if you will. Ever tried this?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 01:32 PM   #2
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Gerald Swindle refuses to even recognize the carolina rig as a fishing technique because he feels people get lazy with it and don't actually fish the technique. I guess he's seen guys fishing tournaments get to a point where they just sit there with a rod in there hand on the trolling motor cruising along dragging a carolina rig. I'm not saying it's not a legit technique, just answering your question in a round about way.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 04:59 PM   #3
zooker

drifting while using the c-rig is a old school method..most catfisherman -were the c-rig oridginated- will do this with live bait..

me personally i am a spot fisherman i am looking for a certain struture type when i use the c-rig..

zooker
Old 01-06-07, 10:49 PM   #4
lizardsrule

If your just fishing for fun, then yes. If you are tourney fishing it's illegal to use the boat to move your bait like that. You must move the bait by your rod/reel/arm/back/person. The method you are describing is considered trolling. Now do some guys do it in tourneys, of course.

Lizards
Old 01-06-07, 11:06 PM   #5
keithdog

I don't do any tourney fishing, but to me it seemed logical to use the wind to my advantage it it's is blowing the dirrection I want to go. Just another technique to me. It's done with Walleye fishing on lake Erie all the time and figured, why wouldn't it work for bass on a windy day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 11:13 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I don't do any tourney fishing, but to me it seemed logical to use the wind to my advantage it it's is blowing the dirrection I want to go. Just another technique to me. It's done with Walleye fishing on lake Erie all the time and figured, why wouldn't it work for bass on a windy day.

It definately can. However on a windy day I like to fish the windblown banks, kinda hard to do that with your technique. Good fishing, and hope the weather has been good for you guys. I got sunburnt "AGAIN" today LOL.

Lizards
Old 01-06-07, 11:28 PM   #7
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We do it pretty often in the summer across windblown points. It works very well. Always get good fish doing it. End up loosing one or two baits because we have so much line out. But is nice and relaxing fishing.

Jolly
Old 01-07-07, 08:51 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've never heard of anyone using this technique, but was wondering if anyone here ever had tried this. I just started using the carolina rig last year. So I'm still getting the hang of it. I've never done this but it seems to me that it should work. On windy days wherre you seem to be spending more time controling the boat than fishing, how about using a caroilina rig and letting the wind drift you along with the rig trailing behind the boat. Drift fishing if you will. Ever tried this?
Correction, DOH!!! I wasn't reading carefully enough. If you are drifting, that is acceptable, if you are using the trolling moter that's unacceptable usually in tourney's. Sorry for the mistake

Lizards
Old 01-13-07, 05:58 PM   #9
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

That has been one of our best technique at times night fishing. 10in black worm, 1/2 oz weight, cold beer, only the lights of the dam and moon, just enough breeze to keep your worm dragging and you cooled off.....damn lets go!

Jollys Dad
By the way, I did hook her first! by her I mean that 13lb'r Jolly is holding in his pic. Great story. One hell of a fish.
Old 01-13-07, 08:42 PM   #10
zooker

i have caught a bunch of after dark fish on a carolina rig inculding a 7 pounder.. i use the same rig i use during the day only a ribbon tailed 8"or 10" junebug worm..

zooker
Old 01-14-07, 05:38 AM   #11
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It don't have to be a carolina rig either.I drift fish big weed flats when its windy using a charlie Brewer slider head and a Zoom worm.let out enough line where the worm just touches the weed tops as your drifting along, once your to where your through it, reel in, power back around to the starting point and drift through again varying the shore distance to cover more areas. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 08:31 AM   #12
JB

geesh, pnj, you always bring up stuff I've had in the past and have long forgot..I used those slider heads in brown and orange tail with the slider leadhead many a day on the river. I never see them for sale around here anymore tho... where ya get yours?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 08:40 AM   #13
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB

BArlows Tackle in Texas always has a good supply. That particular weight and hook combo has saved the day many a times 4 me. The only problem I have for them is the wire of the hook. It has at times straightened out and it seems to do that at the most inopportune times. When I lived in Pennsylvania I almost totally quit using the Texas rig and basically fished the slider rig.
Old 01-14-07, 11:09 PM   #14
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

That technique works well if you can get your drift and your presentation right
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 05:03 PM   #15
jrw7878
BassFishin.Com Member

You can get a pro model slider jig head with a heavier hook at cabelas.
jrw7878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.