Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-06, 01:10 PM   #51
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Why don't we talk bassin, instead of all this silly crap.

Cranky,

A bit of advice, we love to see kids excited about bass fishing, however your posts just never stop, just like on this post. If you don't know, or even have the slightest idea about something, don't post about it. Most of the guys here try to help, and somtimes, we are wrong, but at least we have a clue. You been reccomended to other sites about luremaking, which is what they are for, yet you keep posting all your questions here. Why not go ask the folks who do it all the time, instead of those here who don't do it all the time. Don't have a problem with you asking a few questions, but you never LISTEN

Now quit the bickering, and start talking bassin.

Lizards
Old 02-20-06, 01:12 PM   #52
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

tackleunderground doesnt let me on. says the username and email were takne
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 01:49 PM   #53
bass kicker

i own 3 of the and all i use them for is finess i didnot say they are as good as a fenwick or a st. croix but they arnt as bad as you guys make them sound the LITE and custom are a great rod for using with spinning gear the only thing that i found they lacked was back bone and i wont say any thing about there casting rods because i have never used one
Old 02-20-06, 07:36 PM   #54
crankybait

apparently Kmart doesnt have lightenins.
Old 02-20-06, 07:40 PM   #55
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

the backbone of a rod is one of the most important points....so..if an ugly stick has no backbone you cannot get a decent hookset...what is wrong with you guys? i give up..go buy your ugly sticks.i don't want to hear any bit**ing about losing fish..you ask advice from us then you give us crap about it and argue...why do we bother talking to you..i have one more thing to say...they are JUNK!!!!..(for bass fishing)..i'll never post on an ugly stick thread again..you guys don't listen...go ahead someone try to start an argument again...JUNK!JUNK! JUNK!..got my hands over my ears,eyes closed..lalalalalalalalalalalalala.. i can't hear you.
Old 02-20-06, 08:22 PM   #56
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bottom line is save your money and get a bionic blade or that allstar to start with.ugly sticks are not good bass rods.they are way to heavy and have no sensitivity what so ever.if you fish them with mono it's like fishing with a rubberband.even the tourney special from bass pro is a better rod.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Old 02-20-06, 08:50 PM   #57
bass kicker

i agree with you there dodgeguy the REGULAR ugly sticks are heavy and not sensative but the UGLY STICK LITE is not heavy vary sensative and is no to exspencive i have 2 i feel every thing with them and they last for ever and are not exspencive great for a begginer to the bass fishing scene or professional alike i know quite a few pros in canada that use them and they dont ***** and complain about them

(I like them you may not it is all personal prefrence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 02-20-06, 09:05 PM   #58
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
tackleunderground doesnt let me on. says the username and email were takne
CC banned you, NJ banned you, you can't get onto Tackleunderground, is there a pattern here

Lizards
Old 02-20-06, 09:07 PM   #59
bass kicker

that is funny cranky got banned from all those places
Old 02-20-06, 09:40 PM   #60
crankybait

1. like i said so many other times, chip didnt ban me, another moderator did. chip doesnt even know why i was banned, i asked him in an email
njba didnt ban me either, i left because all my posts turned into fights. and i never even posted on tackleunderground. if you want me gone from here too, then tell me... i like this place, but i dont want to trouble you guys. and tom youre absolutely correct. why do you think i made a thread about ways to get rid of ugly stiks and sellin my ugly stik? i hate it, and its my worst fishing blunder. like i said, if ur not buying my rod go for a bionic blade
Old 02-21-06, 11:12 AM   #61
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
1. like i said so many other times, chip didnt ban me, another moderator did. chip doesnt even know why i was banned, i asked him in an email
njba didnt ban me either, i left because all my posts turned into fights. and i never even posted on tackleunderground. if you want me gone from here too, then tell me... i like this place, but i dont want to trouble you guys. and tom youre absolutely correct. why do you think i made a thread about ways to get rid of ugly stiks and sellin my ugly stik? i hate it, and its my worst fishing blunder. like i said, if ur not buying my rod go for a bionic blade
What do you think a moderator does Just so happens I used to be a moderator at Chips. Only one time was someone banned, and he deserved it. Quit being dumb. If you are always having problems on sites, perhaps the problem is you. Why do you constantly feel the need to argue. You posted you hate your rod, but want to sell it. Sounds like you don't care who gets it, or how poor of a rod it is just trying to get $$$$. OK what's it worth, especially since it's used? Then after someone says yes to it(doubt that), how much is it gonna cost to ship it? Think about things before you type or speak. Are you trying to make enemies, if so your going at it the right way Sell me a crappy rod, for too much money, and everyone will know about it. Let it die, you're just digging yourself deaper everytime you post like this. This is the best site on the net for Bassfishing with friendly, informative, fun folks. That is until you start being a problem.

Lizards
Old 02-21-06, 11:56 AM   #62
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote=bass kicker]ii know quite a few pros in canada that use them and they dont ***** and complain about them

quote]

If these pros are using Ugly Sticks up in Canada, how do I go about getting on the circuit up there? I'm not great, but I'm pretty sure I could compete with those guys.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 12:21 PM   #63
JB

lmfao tom at the lalalalalalala(don't wanna here it from madtv)got my hands over my ears,eyes closed..lalalalalalalalalalalalala.. i can't hear you.

Last edited by JB; 02-21-06 at 12:55 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 02:39 PM   #64
Rodman_Rob

how PowerBass, there is an ignore function on this site, I think you have the perfect candidate to use it on instead of not returning to the site.
Old 02-21-06, 03:55 PM   #65
crankybait

perfect candidate? im feelin some real hate right now... and lizards, at chips i was on perhaps my best behavior possible. read every post i made. i didnt fight even once. and when i posted at njba, they said it was a good rod and people can catch good fish on it. in my opinoin, its junk. and whoever said id overprice it? the main thing is getting rid of it and makig space for a new rod, not making money. if you want it id sell it for like 10 bucks, i pay shipping. i dont feel the constant need to argue. find all the places i argued, and tyr to find the root. often people just pop in and say some stuff to me. for example, powerbass said i needed to be slapped when i didnt even say a thing about him. he also did it on another thread, called me cheap and to stop trying to help me out. just try finding the roots, please
Old 02-21-06, 04:14 PM   #66
JB

Default Get out the Visine, heres a long post from JB

Cranky,
why don't you just keep the rod, if you ever get a friend that would like to fish, they can use that rod...its not worth selling for 10 bucks, I'd keep it...
Sure its not the most expensive or most sensitive rod out there on the market today, but seeing how you're new to fishing and have caught a few fish , I don't see why you need to upgrade just yet...plus another thing to consider is a ugly stick will probably hold up to the wear and tear that a young angler at your age can give it..why find out the hard way on a 200 dollar rod (just an example) the accidents and breaks that have happened to us all...its like a 16 year old getting his license and his first car, you get one that gets by but doesnt have all the bells and whistles that everyeone wishes they could afford, merely due to the fact that
inexperience can often times mean small accidents..in other words, you need to learn more about fishing from HANDS ON experience , rather than going for top notch equipment...it also will pay dividends to YOU down the road when you can afford nice stuff, you'll really appreciate it that much more...don't get caught up in the materialistic game of having to have what others recommend, that ugle stick will catch you as many fish as the most expensive brands, given you level of skills at your age...there is plenty of time in your life to improve your fishing game, just as we all are doing..I started at about 25 and have been going fishing as much as possible for 27 years now, and still learning stuff..I have learned stuff just in the past year being on here...latest trends, new products etc.
Every now and then, I meet a young anglers over thirty who tries to relate to teenagers by dressing and acting like them. Twentysomethings can usually get away with acting like youth; but by the time you hit the big three-oh, it's time to start acting (and looking) a little more like an adult. Notice that I wrote, “little.” Acting more like adults doesn't mean acting “old.” I've met senior citizens that fish, who are more fun than some of the kids that are new to fishing, and I've also met plenty of high school students who are becoming cranky old people way before their time.

No, this isn't one of those "age is just a state of mind" posts. Whoever coined that phrase was on crack. Try using that line on a baby-boomer who spends a few hours with a group of high school boys on a basketball court. Sure, he can probably hang with them for a while, but how many of the teens are going to be sore the next day? Clearly teens and adults are different physically, no matter how in shape adults are. But what about their minds and attitudes? Is it OK for an adult to act like a teenager? Short answer: It depends.
Take music, for example. I'm 51 and genuinely like a lot of the current rock, rap, punk, and hardcore music. Do I listen to this music to fit in with youth? No, because (1) quite often the music I like is edgier and more current than what many of the teenagers like and (2) I listened to this stuff before I started working with teenagers. The point is that I'm who I am, whether that's considered cool or not. (Come to think of it, I wasn't cool when I was a teenager, so why should I try to be cool around teenagers now?) Youth can spot posers from a mile away, and they would much rather interact with adults who are real than adults who try too hard to relate to them.
I've been thinking about the so-called generation gap and what it means for fishing, and I've come to the conclusion that this generation of teenagers isn't remarkably different from any other generation. Sure, they have bigger obstacles (thanks to us) and more advanced gadgets to play with; but ultimately, they are a lot like everyone else. I would argue that many people hold on to several of their teenage quirks throughout their lives, even if they won't admit it. Consider these examples:
  • Teens: Are obsessed with how they look. Mirrors are their best friends. Adults: Ditto, except that adults have more money to spend on gym memberships, designer foods, and plastic surgery.
  • Teens: Tend to hang out in clusters, and getting them to speak to visitors at youth group is like pulling teeth. Adults: Tend to hang out in clusters, and getting them to speak to visitors at church is like pulling teeth.
  • Teens: Get bored easily during worship, and you can tell by the looks on their faces. Adults: Get bored easily during worship but have learned how to cover it up (or just fall asleep).
  • Teens: Struggle to deal with the hormones flowing through their bodies. Adults: Should have learned how to handle their hormones, but many still have no self-control.
  • Teens: Tend to be rebellious and don't like submitting to authority. Adults: Ditto.
  • Teens: Do ridiculous things to impress members of the opposite sex. Adults: Do even more ridiculous things to impress members of the opposite sex.
  • Teens: Pressured by friends to use illegal drugs. Adults: Pressured by circumstances to abuse prescription drugs.
  • Teens: Think they know more than anyone else. Adults: Think they know more than anyone else and have the age and experience to back themselves up!
  • Teens: Have trouble listening to sensible advice. Adults: Will keep asking people for advice until they find someone who tells them to do what they planned to do all along.
  • Teens: Won't put away their iPods long enough to have a decent conversation. Adults: Won't turn off their HDTVs with surround sound long enough to have a decent conversation.
The more I've tried to figure out what makes teenagers tick, the more I've realized that people of different generations are more alike than they are different. Circumstances, music, technology, and fashions change; but human nature doesn't.
Youth need adult mentors, and they want relationships with adults who are sincere and genuine, regardless of age. (Most teens are smart enough to know when an adult is faking it.)

Last edited by JB; 02-21-06 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 04:24 PM   #67
Rodman_Rob

hey cranky, no hate here, just noticed a problem between the two of you and provided an alternative to leaving here for PowerBass.

Hey JB, when you gonna publish that book of yours, lol.
Old 02-21-06, 04:25 PM   #68
crankybait

"Teens: Tend to be rebellious and don't like submitting to authority. Adults: Ditto.

Teens: Have trouble listening to sensible advice. Adults: Will keep asking people for advice until they find someone who tells them to do what they planned to do all along."

theres a nice description of me, i admit it. about the ugly stik. i know it could be usable and is good for my age, but ive got my avocate for that. i was plannin on getting an emerald, for about 50 bucks including shipping. sensitivity is a big problem for me. and i think my avocet is better than the ugly stik in all those aspects, so i figured id only be using the avocet and letting the ugly stik collect dust.
Old 02-21-06, 04:40 PM   #69
everettvet

Cranky,

Here is the way that I see it. When I was younger and "upgraded" to a better rod or reel, I always kept the older version. That became my backup or I would put a different lure on that rod/reel to save myself time. You can find a cheap ok reel to put on the ugly stick rod. It is not worth the trouble for a few dollars. The more you fish, the more you will realize that things break and having a backup plan is good. The perfect example is that my dad was a one rod and reel guy. He only took one rod/reel fishing and he would poke fun at me for carrying two (I only had two at the time). His broke so I let him borrow my spare rod/reel. That was fine and he started to understand why I carried more than one. Then my reel broke! I took back my spare rod/reel and fished for 2 hours while he watch and fussed about the reels breaking! We were only in a small pond and I think he would have swam to shore, if he could swim. After that he always carried an extra rod/reel and I still give him a hard time about it.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 04:50 PM   #70
JB

I kept the only two poles I could find of my dads after he died, I was age 9..years later I bought a ugly stick, and its still in the basement, unused for a long time...
My first trip walleye fishing years ago, I went to the maumee river off of Lake Erie, had one of dads poles, and the first time my leadhead jig got caught in the rocks (5 minutes after the opening day at 6a.m.) it broke, old glass rod, probably made in the 50s....I reached for his other rod and it soon snapped, so I was forced to go buy a rod or sit on the bank with my buddies fishing away, so i got that ugly stick, the only thing I could afford..it served the job for a few years till I kept going to kmart and getting another rod, maybe an upgrade, maybe not...it went on like that till the 90's when I started seeing what other guys were using , plus by now I was able to afford something nice...
Back then, learning how to fish, the quality of rod never even entered my mind, all I could think about is "how" to catch a nice fish..
Todays commercials and show are a HUGE influence on everyone to try to have something better than the other guy...no matter what the cost, it wont improve your skills until you learn the hard way what it takes to figure these lunker lips out!
Old 02-21-06, 05:07 PM   #71
everettvet

[quote=JB]Back then, learning how to fish, the quality of rod never even entered my mind, all I could think about is "how" to catch a nice fish..quote]

The rod and reel are important when it comes to fishing. However, I think technique, lure presentation, and "fish knowledge" are much more important. A basic rod and reel combo will catch a lot of fish if it is fished by someone who has learned something about fishing. I caught a heck of a lot of bass on an ulgy stick and an old dawia spinning reel when I started. By the way, I still have the ugly stick. My son is 3 years old and that will be the first "real" spinning rod he will have. Just for the record, he has a little mickey mouse rod and was "fishing" in his bass boat Sunday while he watched the Daytona 500. His bass boat, much to my suprise was my bed. He was one sharp fisherman. I was so proud of him!!!
Old 02-21-06, 05:07 PM   #72
crankybait

but you guys dont have my problem. my mom. she totaly restricts my lure and rod buying. i can only have 2 rods at once. so if i get a new rod, the avocet would be my backup. id need one backup, i choose between ugly stik and avocet. id choose avocet. what would you doo in my situation?
Old 02-21-06, 05:12 PM   #73
everettvet

I would hang on to the rod. You might break one of the others. Approach it that way. What is the harm of having 3 rods or combos? I hope that my son is this fired up about fishing when he is your age (whatever age that is).
Old 02-21-06, 05:15 PM   #74
crankybait

well in that case can anyone give me reasons to let my mom let me have 3 rods? she figures i have one to sue one for backup, and i can only use one at a time anyways. the harm would be money. remember, ive only caught 3 fish. my mom says the american fishing system does not produce a thing. i probably will have to prove that it does before i buy anything else, and that means ill have to fish a lot, meaning my mom will get more ticked and distrustful every time i get skunked.

PS- im 13
Old 02-21-06, 05:30 PM   #75
everettvet

As a parent, I want my kid outdoors, fishing, hunting and learning to appreciate the beautiful things that God gave us. The more time they (kids as a whole) spend in nature, the less time or chance they have to spend doing some of the stupid stuff that teenagers seem to do or are encouraged to do. Fishing is a good sport and teaches us a lot.

This is my feelings. Not all parents would agree with me. I respect the opinions of other parents. We (as parents) have to raise our kids as we feel as best. When I was younger, I didn't always like what my parents said, but they were the boss and I knew that. As I got older, I tried to explain and reason without seeming to fight with them. Some of the "discussions" I won, but most I lost. Remember always be respectful.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.