Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-06, 01:21 PM   #1
J BRIT
BassFishin.Com Member

Default shakey head

Never used this technique need help
J BRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 02:38 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As far as I know its a simple leadhead roundball jig with a 60 degree eye that you impale your favorite grub, or finesse worm on cast it out drag it back along the bottom keeping in contact as much as possible with the bottom. The 60 degree eye allows for a better hookup ratio and it puts your line forward, so as you drag the jig along the bottom, the roundball will snag on the bottom and as you apply pressure it rolls it forward popping free and darting like a minnow , or crayfish before it falls back to the bottom.Be careful , there are alot of jigheads stating they are the shakey head type, but the eyes are 90 degrees resulting in an unfavorable action compared to the 60 degree eye.The 90 degree eyes will snag and not pop free from a steady pressure pull.A few years ago everyone used football heads, the 90 degree eye on a football head worked the same as the 60 degree eye does on a roundball. The extra width of the football shaped head allowed it to pop free.I don't have a clue where the shakey head name came from. Kevin Van Dam used the shakey head, because Mark Zona designed and marketed it.Mark and Kevin are close friends , from the same town.Maybe someone else knows why they call it a shakey head.It makes you think of the doodle , or stitching technique when you hear the shakey head name. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 05:25 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

try not to move it, just shake it. Thats also why its called the shakey head technique, as far as I know..you're trying to shake the line just enough so that the ballhead shakes and thus, the lure shakes. You don't want to move it very far at all each time you do move it, just one or two inches at a time. The presentation is about shaking, not moving the lure like jigs or anything else. Most people want worms or lures that will float up so that it imitates a small fish feeding on something on the bottom.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 05:32 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have caught fish by dead sticking it fer about 25-30 seconds then dragging it 10" or so and repeating..
imo dying 1" or less of the worm tail is a must..

zooker
Old 05-31-06, 12:41 PM   #5
tko
BassFishin.Com Member

I was watching fishing show the other day, Classic Patterns, I think, and the pro was talking about fishing the shakey head. He said the best way to think when fishing the shakey head set up it so cast it out and move it back to the boat like you are trying to sneak it back without anything seeing it. IE slow with very subtle movements.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 08:40 PM   #6
wv_basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Use Gulp

If your trying shakey head this year I have had a ton of luck with the gulp shakey worm.......green pumpken purple...or just green pumpkin....
wv_basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 08:51 PM   #7
WTL

J Brit, you dun been talking to a local, eh? The shaky heads are real popular down here with light line for spots on lake tuscaloosa, smith and those type of lakes. I wish I knew more about them, but its a completly different style of fishing compared to what I do.

They do prefer 6 or so pound P-line flouro clear with little worms thread on them, and they throw them at rocky banks and stuff like that.
Old 01-07-07, 09:43 PM   #8
Vabass22

Just a thought: Try a split tail spinnerbait trailer, like a yum boogee tail. Should get some interesting action.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 12:23 AM   #9
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

It's become very popular here, basically it's a way to rig a finesse worm/creature bait so that it stands up, the floating action of the worm creates movement, and the shaking adds to that.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 06:48 AM   #10
dodgeguy

here's a 4-4 shakey head fish caught in weeds.

Old 01-16-07, 04:55 PM   #11
everettvet

Is this technique only for spinning tackle or can a baitcaster be used?
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 05:49 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Nothing says you can't use it on a baitcaster. I dropshot with one. The main reason folks use spinning tackle is it is easier to throw lighter baits with one.
Old 01-16-07, 05:59 PM   #13
pig n jig

Dammit don't be dragging up old posts on me.I was trying to figure out when I posted that ? .......Then I seen the date.

Dodge, Is that a Pflueger hat your wearing ? P n j
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 06:02 PM   #14
Wishing2BFishing

I suck at the Shakey Head. Last season, I tried the "shakey" everytime that I went out fishing. Didn't catch a single fish with this technique. As soon as I switched to something else, WHAM . . . fish on the line.

I think the shakey head and I don't get along because I just can't fish slow. Perhaps I need to work on S. . . L . . . O . . .W fishing.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 07:38 PM   #15
skeeter944

well, stick with the basics. thats the best way to consistantly catch fish.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 07:47 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
I suck at the Shakey Head. Last season, I tried the "shakey" everytime that I went out fishing. Didn't catch a single fish with this technique. As soon as I switched to something else, WHAM . . . fish on the line.

I think the shakey head and I don't get along because I just can't fish slow. Perhaps I need to work on S. . . L . . . O . . .W fishing.

best time to do it is when the water temps are under 50 but above 40..slow sucks but i can do it..

zooker
Old 01-16-07, 11:56 PM   #17
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I have recently been turned onto this method as well. I have been fishing it here in PA the last few times I have been out with success. I use finesse worms (needle worms) and bounce them real slow. Catching fish this time of year around here I must be doing something right.

I just got these heads in my order from Peoples Choice Baits and I can't wait to try them out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.