Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-20-05, 08:35 PM   #1
B.D. jR
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Whats the problem here??

Ok people, heres the problem. Here is Jacksonville, Florida, we have a few "fish management" ponds that are all about 50 acres each. These are stocked ponds that contain Bass, Panfish, and Catfish and of course a few Carp. Initally, when I first saw the ponds I thought WOW, this place looks very Bassy. Lillipads, fallen trees in the water, cover, the works. I have read a few diff. places that there are some real trophy bass that reside in these ponds. There are fish feeders in the ponds but they are only activated in the spring and summer months, once a week. The record largemouth for one of the ponds is 14lbs. However, I have visited these ponds and bank fished (no boats allowed) five times and have caught 2 very small bass (less than 1lb each). I have tried pitching black soft plastic worms, purple, and brown. Top water buzz baits, in line spinners (used to catch the 2 bass), senkos, spoons, crank baits, (Manns -1) and spinner baits. I have tried to fish top water, deep water, out in the open, and tight to cover. NO LUCK!! I do know that most people that fish there on a regular basis fish for catfish with live bait. Some fish for bass with live bait as well, but to me, I think thats kind of cheating. I think bass fishing should be done with artificials, thats part of the challenge. Any yo-yo can put a minnow on a hook and watch a cork till it goes under, what fun is that?? What do you think is going on here?? Any suggestions I will certianally try!! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!
B.D. jR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 08:46 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sounds to me like you're doing a lot of right things and if you continue, you have to get some decent bass if there is a decent population of them in there.

Live bait fishing is not something I do, and you've made it clear that you disapprove, but it is NOT cheating, since your regulations allow it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 09:42 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9

These lakes probably see a lot of action (high fishing pressure) so for your worms and other soft plastic make your presentation look good and slow it down.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 11:22 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fish it at night, and beware of the gators.

Lizards

EDIT 11/21/05 BY LIZARDSRULE

OK let me restate this. FISH AT NIGHT, due to the pressure, and the activity on the pond. Use dark baits, preferrably black, lizards, zipper worms, PNJ's, etc... Plus use a Black Jitterbug, or other Black topwater baits, such as POP-R's, Hula Poppers or a Spook or Sammy. A single colorado bladed spinnerbait in black also works. You want noise/water movement to help the fish hone in on your bait, vibration is very good at night. Many times the big fish will come out at night to feed, so IMO that's when you will have your best chance at some of the bigger fish. This is just my opinion of course, but from my experience it works pretty darn good.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 11-21-05 at 08:26 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 11:38 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

don't let it bother you, some lakes are harder than others to figure out. You've been 5 times and caught 2 fish. There are some lakes I KNOW that have a ton of fish and have not caught fish in 5-10 visits. Its all part of the game, you have to figure out what they're doing based on the conditions. One thing you didn't mention, whats the water color? What's the depth? Are these lakes well known and do a lot of people fish them? I'd try some flukes near any type of cover. Flukes are one of the most consistant catchers for me, they resemble a wounded/dying baitfish, bass just can't pass up an easy meal. Don't let a couple slow days bother ya, its why its called fishing instead of catching.
Old 11-21-05, 03:26 AM   #6
southernsnatcher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well it sounds to me like u dont know how to fish...lol..jk..im with ck9 on this one...these are public lakes so i am sure they see alot of action..and lets face it, not everyone practices catch and release...but the one advantage you have if u plan to fish these ponds this winter is that alot of the other fisherman wont..and the feeders will be turned off..which will make the bass a lil more aggressive..with so much pressure on them i would definitaly say slow down your presentation, and be sure you are not stingy with your scents on your bait...with winter just around the corner the bass will move away from the shallows causing you to make longer cast. so be sure and use heavier baits(i.e 1/2 ounce jigs and spinnerbaits super slow rolled.) if all else fails try goin out with live bait just to see what ponds are more productive and aggressive..once u find what the bass are eating you can be a lil more effective with mimicing there food supply with your arsenol at hand.

p.s as a last resort try dynomite and castnets...
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:51 AM   #7
B.D. jR
BassFishin.Com Member

Rodman Rob,

I guess I did leave out the water depth and color. If I were to assume the depth of the water I would say it was about 40 feet in its deepest (center) and gradually reaches this depth from the bank. The color of the water is a slightly stained but still somewhat clear. The stain is slightly reddish or brown. Hopes this helps you help me figure out this problem. Next, like southern snatcher said, dynomite and a fence charger hooked to a telephone will bring em up!!!
B.D. jR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 03:21 PM   #8
rrw4258

Sounds like there are some pretty big bass in these ponds!! I noticed something you did not try is a jig, i have found out recently that if you switch to a jig, the quanity goes down, but the quality (weight) of the fish goes up alot. What is the water clarity of the pond? Also, i fish a small ponds and have my best luck up against timber. Jigs and worms is the key, dont use too much weight on the worms though.

Ryan
Old 12-21-05, 11:15 PM   #9
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

SHINERS! SHINERS! SHINERS! I fish a management down here in Punta Gorda and it works.
Old 12-22-05, 07:45 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

LIZARRRDDSSS where ya been buddy. Good to cya back. Show up more often so when can bash ya a little LOL Any way B.D. you are doing all the right things sounds like to me and you already have had some excellant advice given but one thing I might mention. Try figuring out when the feeders are gonna be running and BE THERE. Could let you catch some of the better quality fish and as well give you some ideas on where and what to fish when they arnt running.

One more thing.......NEVER GIVE UP. Sooner or later you will get a chance to hook ole moss back.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 04:55 PM   #11
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

The fish are associating the vibration of your foot steps as a danger signal meaning dont eat anything when the foots steps are coming. They feel/hear the footsteps, see the bait fall into the water and then see the other fish fighting to stay in the water. In short you are dealing with "trained" fish.

Try fishing at night wearing two or three pairs of thick boot socks and no shoes.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 03:21 AM   #12
Bender

I agree wit Rodman_Rob, sometimes I just cannot figure a lake out. Last year I had good sucess on some of the lakes around me but the lake across that is 50 ft. across the street from my house kicked my butt. I don't know why, but I am going to keep working on it. The only thing that worked were buzz baits and Bass Assasains in white.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 05:47 AM   #13
crankybait

try a black hula popper at night
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 12:50 PM   #14
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tough Florida fishing conditions

Here's what I would do-

1- fish the hour BEFORE the sun is up. That's from dark till you first see the sun.

2- fish the closest shore edges where the water starts to drop into a foot or more depth. This is where shallow pond bass feed.

3- use a 6" black Culprit behind a 64th ounce bullet on very light line. Minimal noise and splash. They're feeding on 1 to 2 inch minnows.

4- watch for the line "twitch" in the moon, street or pre-dawn light. Don't wait to feel the hit.

5- listen to fanatical, obsessive old farts who have nothing better to do than excessively analyze the feeding habits of a fish

Deviate from the above instructions at your own risk. Fish with confidence and verrrrrrrry slowly.

Senior - I pities da po fool who tinks he can outfish me in Florida.

Senior
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 08:13 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Sounds like a formal challenge. Florida,California, dont matter u name the place.LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 08:28 AM   #16
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

i had a similar situation up here with a stocked reservoir. its stocked with smallmouth, largemouth, bluegill, and cats. but it took me about 3 weeks before i could actually catch a good sized bass. just keep trying out things eventually you will find one that works. what worked for me was a strike king, 1/4 oz jig, white color.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 12:21 AM   #17
BassinSoldier
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BassinSoldier

I used to live in Jax too...what management areas you talkin bout? Maybe can give ya some insight...
BassinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.