Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-03-11, 02:52 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My first real boat (project)

I acquired a great starter boat on Jan. 1st which is a great way to start the new year. It is a 1991 Bayline Trophy (fiberglass) with a 50 hp Force outboard. It came with a Eagle fish finder and a 25 hp foot controlled trolling motor. I have to do some work before it is water ready (clean the carburator and check all the wiring). I paid $800. Let me know what you guys think. I am really looking forward to modifying the boat to make it my own. The only owners were my brother's father in law and his son.

I was told that the engine runs fine but had some trouble starting and maintaining idle. I believe that all that it is needed is a good carb cleaning. I will know more when I dive into the engine over the next month. I know it would have been best to test drive before buying but I totally trust the seller since they are like a second family to me. I know I got a great deal on the boat.

Motor = Force Outboard, 50HP, Model 507X91B
Boat = 1991 Bayliner Trophy, 15 ft.
Trolling motor is Minn Kota Mag 15 (24 lbs thrust, 4 speeds)
Fish finder is Eagle Ultra II Plus

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 01-03-11 at 03:25 PM.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 02:58 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man where have you been, I haven't seen you on here (or have I just been missing your post lol?).

Dude if it floats it was a good deal. Clean her up and fish her to death. Congrats, there is nothing like a new boat. Look foward to seeing the pics.
Old 01-03-11, 03:11 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

I've been doing anything I want for the past year. That is the beauty of divorce. I've been fishing some but I have been taking a lot of spontaneous trips, visiting friends and family, etc. I'm looking forward to fishing a lot more now that I have a boat and can get on the Alabama River.
Old 01-03-11, 03:23 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

She looks like she will be a good wide fishing platform for sure. When it comes time to do whatever modifications you want to do, or just clean her up I would check out the restoration forum over on bass boat central. There will be a lot of guys over there who can get you headed in the right direction.

Congrats again.
Old 01-03-11, 03:23 PM   #5
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that will be a great, very versatile little boat. With the deep V you can go on big water with no worries. Would also make a great trolling boat
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 03:25 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Man I was about to ask the samething..We didnt even bet on the Ultimate fighter this season!!...haha!
Glad to hear your doing good......The boat looks like it can be a fishing machine!,congrats and have fun with it
Old 01-03-11, 06:39 PM   #7
WTL

That was a very good buy. Will do you well on the alabama river.
Old 01-03-11, 09:15 PM   #8
bamabassman

F&G!!!!! great to hear from ytou again man. NICE RIG TOO! a little elbow greese and she'll do just fine man. versital too! stick around man..... we missed oyu.
Old 01-04-11, 11:40 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Fish, that seems like a great deal, especially where you live, where there are tons of great small lakes where the hawgs are hiding. Sometimes I wish I had a boat like that, that I didn't feel like I had to baby to save the paint. Fix her up nice, and I predict you'll soon be needing to upgrade the livewell system.
Old 01-04-11, 05:09 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

I will need to put a permanent livewell in it after I get comfortable on the water with it. Now I am just debating whether to buy a new truck (or old work truck) to pull it or put a hitch on my mustang. The hitch on the mustang will work since the boat and trailer together are less than 1,000 lbs.
Old 01-04-11, 06:21 PM   #11
cassidyta

Having a 24' TM, I can say that it is the one thing you will want to upgrade when you can. It works fine on my 17' aluminum in calm winds, but it doesn't do well once the winds pick up.
Old 01-04-11, 09:05 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Having a 24' TM, I can say that it is the one thing you will want to upgrade when you can. It works fine on my 17' aluminum in calm winds, but it doesn't do well once the winds pick up.
Yeah, I figured that. I definitely will need a bigger one along with an on-board charger when I fish out on the river with any type of current. But I am going to start out in a lot of side streams and areas like Cooter's Pond (I know it is a funny name). I actually live about 2 miles from the public boat ramp at Cooter's Pond. I am so psyched right now it is crazy. I have to remain calm though so I don't go overboard and spend my savings on accessorizing it.
Old 01-04-11, 09:29 PM   #13
bamabassman

<<<<boat monkey is eating you alive me thinks pal. HAHAHAHA, it's a great feeling though ain't it? can't wait to see her when oyu get through with her man.

and HOPEFULLY oyu can make it to the get together at wheeler/wilson in may.
Old 01-05-11, 12:56 AM   #14
cassidyta

I understand the not going overboard part. I have lived with my TM for over a year now. For the most part, it works fine for me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.