Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-31-11, 03:17 PM   #1
william
BassFishin.Com Member

Default bass tracker motors

I have decided on buying a tracker pro guide 175tf. I can either get the 4 stroke 40 or 60 hp motor. I don't fish huge lakes but I usually take 3 or 4 people with me. I still love to troll for trout on our mountain lakes but bass fishing more often at DVL. any suggestions on size, trolling etc. So cal retiree
william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:46 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i would go with the 60. or even what the max says on the data plate. undersizing the motor causes handling problems and also after you bought you wiill wish you had the bigger motor. plus three or four poeple will really push the 40 to get you on plane and will plow through the water instead of riding on top
Old 07-31-11, 08:53 PM   #3
bassboogieman

3 adults in that boat with at 40HP 4-stroke and it will not get on plane. Underpowering thier boats is Tracker's "Claim to Fame" - but it keeps their advertised package price low and gets you in the door. Ride in one before you even think of buying it. Depends what you want, that boat will putt around the lake and troll ok, but will struggle to get on plane with only one person on board.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 11:12 PM   #4
66KingFisher

We've got the 30 horse 4 stroker on our 16ft aluminum Tracker, and while we like it, and it does ok of gettin on plane with two guys and all our gear, it would be nice if we about 10 more horses under the hood....So for that model Tracker I'd definately say go with the 60hp.....You'll be glad you did....Like the man said..."Ride in one before you decide".
Old 08-02-11, 01:54 PM   #5
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bought a 2011 Pro Team 175 txw w/ 60 4 stroke. No way I would go with the 40. Boat planes well with the 60 and I can get about 38-39 mph out of her with the stock prop. Best of all, that motor sips the fuel.

Just my opinion but I would go up to the 75 before I would go down to the 40.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.