Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-02-11, 11:21 AM   #1
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default ethanol free gas

Found this great website the other day.
Pure-gas.com.
Don't know how to send link but this site lists places all over the country that sell ethanol free gas.
I'm sure that you guys are familiar with this site but I've not seen it mentioned here.
there are much better uses for corn alcohol than ruining mine or anybody else's outboard.
Four or five 5 gal cans and I'll be good to go.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 03:35 PM   #2
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been using StaBil Marine in my gas, along with Yamaha Ring Free and have not had a problem todate. I stored the boat this winter with the tank full, lots of StaBil Marine and it started right up this spring and runs great.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 05:57 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Marine staBil blue for me as well,but motors can be run on many fuels without harm.
Providing they are mfg so it doesnt take special oil(ficht) or special fuel.
And they just released some of the oil reserves today so price is falling.
And yes I have 87 oct available alch free,but use 89 as required for my power house.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 01:42 AM   #4
Lvitch

Yeah just run an additive (stabil, mxo performance etc.) And you won't have a problem.
Old 07-25-11, 04:45 PM   #5
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

The last thing before winter is run aviation gas threw my boat motor. It has a long life. I use it in my chainsaws also. It was around five dollars a gallon.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 02:38 PM   #6
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ewww adding stabil (alcohol based) to gas that is already "up to" 10% ethanol (also alcohol) is a recipe for disaster with these plastic and fiberglass tanks and lines.

The problem in my area is that the only ethanol free stations are in marinas so those of us not wanting to ruin or cars/trucks are stuck using this horrible mileage killing E10.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 04:06 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
The last thing before winter is run aviation gas threw my boat motor
My understanding is that is a huge mistake. Most 2-stroke outboards are designed to run on 87 octane fuel. Usining higher octane (avation gas is higher than premium pump) gas makes the outboard run hot, the bane of those type of engines. Even if you're only running a partial tank at the end of the season, you may be asking for trouble.

Using non-ethanol gasoline is probably the optimal fuel for your outboard. But it is hard to find, and one thing you DO NOT want to do is mix it with ethanol fuel in your tank. If I had a ready supply of non-ethanol fuel near home and when I travel I'd use it, but that's near impossible today.

Most boats made in the last 15 years, or so, have fuel lines that can handle ethanol. I use MARINE stabil - the blue one - which is formulated to help negate the water absorption issue of ethanol. I also installed a fuel/water seperation filter to remove water from the fuel before it may reach the outboard.

Other things you can do to minimize the "problem" is keep the fuel tank full to minimize condensation in the tank, which is the source of water getting into the fuel. Condensation in the tank is an issue for boaters as the tanks are vented, which allows humid air to get into the tank. Those that keep their boats on the water, may have a higher risk than those that trailer their boats as the air over the water is obviously a bit more humid.

Those with older outboards should change their fuellines to the more modern ethanol resistant ones as a precaution. Todays outboards can handle the 10% ethanol fuels with no problems, especially it you treat your fuel and add the water seperation filter.

As a side note - I had the fuel lines replaced on my 11 year old boat this spring, as a precaution, and had no deterioration of the inside of the fuel lines at all. My 2000 vintage Yamaha is still running strong after all these years burning ethanol fuel and I don't expect that to change.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 11:31 AM   #8
Old Hooker

I fill mine up the last tank of the year with ethanol free gas, a half bottle of marine formula Stabil and a full can of Sea Foam and run it for about a half hour to really mix it good and get it into the engine. It has worked well so far.
Old 08-09-11, 05:57 AM   #9
Fraze5150
BassFishin.Com Member

could'nt you just use "HEET" gas additave that everyone uses in there cars gas tank to eliminate any water?
Fraze5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 07:32 AM   #10
lilmule

The idea is to protect and coat the motor and keep the gas usable,Heet wont do that,marine blue stable will,and or sea foam.
Ive taken to using blue only and eliminating the seafoam as contains some of the same,and with no problems,we also have non alch gas in 87 oct avaialable,but alas my lastest motor(1977-140 hp) uses 89.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.