Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-17-08, 11:16 PM   #1
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bay Boats

Hi all,
Thinking of buying a bay boat with a 90 hp 2000 model johnson on it. I know very little about bay or flats boats as some call them but the price seems pretty close to right. Anybody ever fished out of them or used them? This one is 19' and looks pretty nice from pictures and research i've done. Would like some first hand knowledge if any of you have them. Also what about that engine? I've never really fooled with Johnsons either. I'm a merc man and thats all I've ever owned. Any and all info appreciated.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 04:09 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bay boats -nice ride rough water but REAL slow. nothin wrong with a johnson moter specially an offshore johnson..

zooker
Old 05-18-08, 05:28 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The bay boats are taking off in popularity for several reasons. One of the main being the ease of cleaning and maintenance due to lack oof carpet. The do have a different hull that sits in the water higher and they have redsigned the hull for maximum holeshot. The 90hp Johnson is the 60 degree looper I am pretty sure of. I run a 90hp OMC myself and enjoy it but do wish it was a looper design instead of the crossflow design. You can extract a LOT more hp from the looper. They are probably one of the most dependable motors,easy to work on and relatively trouble free.
Old 05-18-08, 03:21 PM   #4
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

How can you tell if the motor is one of the loopers you speak of or not? New lingo there.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 10:21 PM   #5
flfireman

Bay boats are different than flat's boats. Biggest thing run down some chop in a flats boat for awhile, you'll know when the pain in the kidneys and lower back start's. You won't get this in a bay boat. Little heavier, little more of a V in hull, much softer ride. Usually have higher sides which equals more out of way rod storage. I almost got one w/ a poling platform- great for fishing off the top-except if it's rough out.
Old 05-19-08, 04:44 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Without tearing into the motor I dont know of any true ways. There are hints such as the bubble back exhaust chest which is the playe between the heads on the back............litterly has a large bubble to the bottom on it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.