Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 07-28-14, 01:33 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Hitting a Shiner

This video was shot on the Ocklawaha River in Marion County, FL. Watch the red float as the bass takes the shiner, the hook set, and reeling in the bass to the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNt2aFNsJRg
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 06:33 PM   #2
mikechell

I am one of those who believe in quicker hook sets. Sorry, but letting the fish have it that long pretty much ensures a gut hooked fish.
I have never live shiner fished, so maybe you need to let them swallow it. But I always go with a quick hook set. If I don't hook the fish, it's not because I didn't wait long enough, it's because the fish was too small.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:46 PM   #3
Thornback

I appreciate your concern my friend. I shiner fish a lot and also have been with the same professional bass guide six times fishing with shiners every time. I use the same technique as the pro bass guide, who releases all bass, as catching bass is how he makes his living. I almost "never" gut hook a bass and I release all bass. The hook is near the rear of the anal fin of the shiner and the bass will take the shiner head first. I did wait a little longer on the video hook set because the lily pad stem appeared to be in the way. Notice the float disappears, resurfaces, then goes under again. Also notice the lily pad is moving with the float. I wanted to be sure the line was not wrapped around the lily pad stem preventing a hook set. A shiner seems inclined to swim around lily pad stems. Also, usually when I set the hook on the bass she will jump and spit the shiner. Sometimes the shiner will pull the float under and so you must wait a second or two to see if it resurfaces. Other times a big bass will pull the float under and you see the float moving rapidly under the water. Then you immediately set the hook. The above is a little long but I hope it makes you feel better. Happy hook set to you.
Old 07-30-14, 06:00 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

60 pd braid pull both bass and lilly pad in(it generally cuts it)thus little pad comes to the boat.
The use of or lack thereof of livebait is just that up to the user.
Id like to feel their is some of my skill involved in fooling the bass so use artificial lures.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 08:29 AM   #5
mikechell

Hooking the shiner in the tail does make all the difference. I wasn't trying to criticize ... just making an observation. But tail hooking does usually put the hook in the mouth last, hence a reason to wait.
There is a great way to remove the hook from a gut hooked bass, without doing any further damage, so that is not a big problem, if done correctly.
Anyway, all is good.
Old 08-02-14, 07:20 AM   #6
Thornback

I went bass fishing Wednesday and just used plastic worms. Wouldn't you know it, I gut hooked a bass. I had to use needle nose down the throat and my fingers up through the gills to remove the hook. I got it out with no noticeable damage to her but due to the time involved the bass couldn't be revived when I placed her in my live well. I tried for a while to move water through it's mouth and gills but she just kept rolling over on her side.Later I boated over to a fishing couple and asked them if they wanted a bass to eat and they said they did. I passed the bass on to them. I also caught two other bass and released them back into the lake.
Old 08-02-14, 07:25 AM   #7
Thornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
60 pd braid pull both bass and lilly pad in(it generally cuts it)thus little pad comes to the boat.
The use of or lack thereof of livebait is just that up to the user.
Id like to feel their is some of my skill involved in fooling the bass so use artificial lures.
I use #40 braid. It takes a much more forceful hook set when shiner fishing because you have to rip the hook through the shiner's tail and then into the bass' mouth. Vegetation can and does sometimes prevent a forceful hook set and sometimes these large wise bass will spit the shiner the instant they feel any resistance.
Old 08-02-14, 10:49 AM   #8
mikechell

Instead of sticking your fingers up through the gills, reach through there with the needle nose pliers. Grab the hook eye and pull it down past the gills, thus turning the hook. Then reach in through the mouth, grab the hook bend and pull it out. Quick, very little bleeding and it's seems to not hurt the fish.
Old 08-03-14, 10:34 AM   #9
Thornback

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember that.
Old 08-07-14, 09:22 AM   #10
joedog

Thorn here is Mike's tip on video.
Actually is easier than one would think and great tip.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=att&tt=b
Old 08-07-14, 10:18 AM   #11
mikechell

That's a pretty good video, but with longer shank hooks, you might have to go one step farther. When you reach up through the gill plate, try to be against the body, so all the gills are to the plate side of the pliers. Grab the hook and pull the eye end back through the gill area. Then you reach in from the mouth and grab the hook to pull it straight out.
Old 08-07-14, 10:41 AM   #12
joedog

Yea I agree Mike.

With wide gap hooks too, I usually do what you mentioned.
Once and awhile with wide gaps I'll cut the line and pull hook out (after the twist) through the gills....but you have to be very carefull not to nick or tear a gill plate.

Again, GREAT TIP!
Old 08-15-14, 12:18 PM   #13
Thornback

Good video and a lesson learned. Thanks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.