Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-23-12, 02:00 PM   #1
mccabe3549
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help with Rod

hey guys wanted a few opinions. I am in the market to buy two new poles for the upcoming tourney season. i live in Pa so do a lot of weedy lakes areas. so i would need a good finesse rod and a good fliping stick. All advice is greatly welcomed.

thanks

shawn
mccabe3549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 02:06 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mccabe, welcome to the forum, you have found a good place for information, if you could provide us with a few more details, like what you budget is and the type of baits that you would throw on these rods, it will make a recommendation allot easier.

Welcome
Old 01-23-12, 02:19 PM   #3
mccabe3549
BassFishin.Com Member

Budget is around 250 a rod. and i will be throwing a shaky head drop shot on the spinning. on the casting would be football jigs and heavy cover pitching so beavers and craws and so forth. thanks for the welcome looking forward to all forums and want to learn.

shawn
Old 01-23-12, 02:35 PM   #4
Tavery5

That's a nice budget, with that kind of money you have a wide range of rods available to you, some of the nicer rods that I have had the opportunity to use are Falcon, St.Croix, Shimano, G-loomis, and Dobyns.

Both of the techniques you have mentioned are contact type baits, and in my opinion these type of techniques benefit from rods with great sensitivity above all else. With that if you are investing that amount of money into fishing equipment, find one with a good warranty and customer service.

Some rods to look at would be Falcon Cara, St.Croix legend series, Shimano Cumara, Gloomis IMX and GLX and Dobyns Champion and Champion Extreme. Good deals can be found on all these rods if you want to buy from individuals. Specific power and actions, tend to be somewhat of a personal choice but if you need help, there are many here who can put you in the right area.

Again Welcome
Old 01-23-12, 02:42 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Welcome aboard Shawn. For $250 a rod, you might holler at WaffleJaw or DVT Mike, here on the boards. You might get a no frills custom rod. No frills meaning no decorative wrapping, but a solid build for its purpose.
Old 01-23-12, 02:43 PM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here's two From St Croix - SCIV - TBC610MLXF TBC71MHF Or of course As Bubba suggested one of us can hook you up.
Old 01-23-12, 03:16 PM   #7
mccabe3549
BassFishin.Com Member

hey dvt im from bloomsburg pa i would def be interested in some of your ideas or in fact rods. I was really thinking about the cumera or st croix legend. if u think of anything better let me know.
Old 01-23-12, 05:27 PM   #8
bassboogieman

As mentioned those two applications require a good sensitive rod. I would recommend spending your money on the best rod you could afford and that you like. We all have our favorites and don't aways agree on a particular brand. But when you need to detect a subtle bite - invest in a quality rod. You can save money when you purchase rods for a reaction bite, where detecting a pickup isn't near as critical.

Generally for finess applications I prefer a spinning rod - medium/fast in a length between 6'9" - 7'6". Mine happens to be near the middle at 7'.

I prefer a casting rod for pitchin' & flippin'. a good rod in the 7' -7'6"(+), heavy/fast or XF action. You could get away with a MH depending on the vegatation you're fishing, and here in PA you can find some think stuff in many of our lakes. Mine is a 7'6" H/f. I like the longer length both to make a slightly longer flip and I think you get a little better leverage with the longer rod.

Severaal good brands out there to choose from. Again buy the best you can afford and remember to check the secondary market - you may be able to buy a slightly used well cared for rod and get an even better rod for what you are intending to spend on a new one at retail price ranges.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 08:52 PM   #9
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

As others have said, sensitivity is the most important for these techniques. I would use a 7' M XF for finesse and a 7'4" H XF for flipping. The faster the action, the more sensitive the rod will be. You can't go wrong with any manufacturer, but I would go custom. You can get a nicer rod for the same price and get it built to your exact specifications.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 09:35 AM   #10
mccabe3549
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys i will keep you informed

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.