Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-14-08, 10:30 AM   #1
1lipripper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default biodegradable plastics

I just received this news release:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – In the past year or so several new lures have come on the market with claims that they are biodegradable. This certainly is an indication that “green” is the trend in fishing lures. And there’s nothing greener in fishing lures than FoodSource® lures.

FoodSource® lures are made entirely of ingredients approved for use in animal food and even human food. In other words, they are 100% real food. And food is what fish eat.

Other lures claiming to be biodegradable are made from so-called “biodegradable plastics.” These plastic compounds typically are petroleum-based, so they rely on fossil fuels. Even if they biodegrade in a landfill, that's not relevant because that’s not where they are disposed. In the water these plastic products just dissolve into smaller pieces of plastic or jam a fish's digestive tract. That’s not true bio-degradation. In fact, “biodegradable soft plastics” may be a misnomer and oxymoron.

As a senior sustainability executive at a big box retailer said:
"In my opinion, a petroleum-based plastic with a few additives that make it break down is simply not a good idea. In fact, the carbon footprint work I have seen on these substrates suggest that it's actually a negative. Moreover, inside a landfill there is no value to degradation, if it's even possible."
Code:
http://checkoutblog.com/entries/2008/4/20/packaging___a_little_better.aspx
False or misleading environmental claims – sometimes called “green-washing” -- do a disservice to the industry and consumers. As stated by TerraChoice in “Six Sins of Green-washing”:

• Well-intentioned consumers may be misled into purchases that do not deliver on their environmental promise. This means both that the individual consumer has been misled and that the potential environmental benefit of his or her purchase has been squandered.

• Competitive pressure from illegitimate environmental claims takes market share away from products that offer more legitimate benefits, thus slowing the penetration of real environmental innovation in the marketplace.

• Green-washing may create cynicism and doubt about all environmental claims. Consumers – particularly those who care most about real environmental progress – may give up on marketers and manufacturers, and give up on the hope that their spending might be put to good use.

This would eliminate a significant market-based, financial incentive for green product innovation and leave committed environmental advocates with government regulations as the most likely alternative.

What do you think? Could this revolutionize 'plastics'?
1lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:33 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Gulp soft plastics are biodegradable. That's cause they aren't really made out of plastic, neither are the foodsource ones.

BB
Old 07-14-08, 06:41 PM   #3
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i hate them, they cost alot and dont last long
i know bout the green thing but i dont like em it is a good idea but i think they could be improved
Old 07-14-08, 06:47 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't think fishing needs to be greener, although I wouldn't mind a more fuel efficient outboard... But I do agree that you should try and leave the lake cleaner than you found it. Whenever I get done with a plastic I throw it in the floor of the boat and then in the garbage, but NEVER in the water.

BB
Old 07-14-08, 06:51 PM   #5
mariner

the fuell efficient out board is a must, mine gets 3MPG
Old 07-15-08, 09:45 AM   #6
everettvet

I have fished with some of the foodsource products. They seem to me to be stiff, lack action and dry out very quickly. I am glad that they are biodegradable and I wish I liked to use them, but I don't.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 06:56 PM   #7
bamabassman

ok, in my opion here now. but truly each and every thing we have in this world is biodegradeable. nothing last forever,haha. saying that...i know that some things take a very long time to degrade, but it is like bb said. don't throw it in the water if it bothers you, throw it in your boat or on the bank. then take it to the can.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 10:00 PM   #8
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, in my opion here now. but truly each and every thing we have in this world is biodegradeable. nothing last forever,haha. saying that...i know that some things take a very long time to degrade, but it is like bb said. don't throw it in the water if it bothers you, throw it in your boat or on the bank. then take it to the can.
come on bamma you could bury a can of spam in your yard and some kid in two or three hundred years would be able to eat it , but thats just spam
hehehehe
Old 07-15-08, 11:20 PM   #9
bamabassman

i know jim. i said that it would degrade SOME time. hahahaha. spam.... great fried too. lol
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 02:41 AM   #10
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i know jim. i said that it would degrade SOME time. hahahaha. spam.... great fried too. lol
Thin sliced, fried slightly crisp, with over-easy aigs, some bizkits 'n cow salve, grits= Goodness.
Here's a little tip...After slicing the SPAM simmer it in a little water to remove some of the salt. Then drain the water and proceed. I do this with even the reduced-sodium SPAM.
SPAM came to the fore during WW-Twice. There are still a lot of old vets who won't touch it with a ten-foot bayonet, but non-Caucasian Hawaiians have made an almost "State Food" of it.

"Mmmmmmm, Luau! Whatcha got in the pit?"
"A five-hundred pound chuck of SPAM, of course!"
"Kewl! I'll go whip up a batch of Poi!"
"We're gonna have some Hula dancers in grass skirts too."
"May I bring my WeedEater?"

Aloha!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 10:10 AM   #11
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

my only problem with that concept. Is i have been known to set on worms way to long. When i discover them again i use them. How would this stuff hold up if i threw them in my bag for 3 yrs before i used them.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 05:17 PM   #12
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I tried the food source and did no good with them. The gulp minnows work well but really I did not see any better action nor did I catch more fish than with Yum or yamatso lures.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.