Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-09, 09:43 PM   #26
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is there really a baitmonkey shirt? If so, the monkey wants one in a size 3XL.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 10:24 AM   #27
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Shad and Parrot rock. I swear by the DT-6's. Although I have yet to place first in any tourney, I did get a second and credit the DT-6 for it (all my fish that day came on DT-6's in different colors).

One drawback is that the lip will crack and even sometimes come off the lure if you are banging rocks all day. So make sure you keep an eye on the lure throughout your fishing if you are casting into rocky areas. Also, buy more than one. You won't regret it.
Hello Wishin, I too love the DT series from Rapala. You would think that Rapala would correct this diving lip problem,as I see it mentioned all over the internet. They need to make a move soon before fisherman start looking for a different brand.

Hookset
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 10:27 AM   #28
hookset on 3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loud, you don't want to wake the.....

Too late...
MSboy, man that cartoon cracked me-up. It's funny and sooo true.

Hookset
Old 04-29-09, 10:40 AM   #29
hookset on 3

Welcome B-I-G, glad too have ya! It sounds like you have a nice little Honey-Hole there. Take care of it and don't tell a soul,if you want to keep catchin 'em every time. Those points you mentioned should be a focal point of the bass most of the year. The bass will use them as part of a migratory route day to day and season to season. I would check those coves you mentioned also, as the bass are probably on their spawning beds now. This is the best time to see and possibly catch the biggest female bass in the lake. The smaller males will guard the nest but if you look out a little deeper you'll see the females cruisin around checking on who has the nicest spawning pad.

Hookset
Old 04-29-09, 04:27 PM   #30
Wishing2BFishing

"They need to make a move soon before fisherman start looking for a different brand."

Hookset,

I agree. I know that I have looked for a different brand (I got a ton of cranks) but my favorite is still the DTs, especially DT-4s and DT-6s.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 06:44 PM   #31
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Is there really a baitmonkey shirt? If so, the monkey wants one in a size 3XL.

not that i know of but i feel kinda responsible for this...

http://www.tacklemonkey.com/Sportswe..._Cap_p324.html

zooker
Old 04-29-09, 09:02 PM   #32
B-I-G

Hookset, the lake where I fish is actually very popular since it is in a recreational park... but most of the people there are going on walks, or kayaking/paddleboating... If you ever see me there, you already know that I'm the one who is fishing haha
Old 04-29-09, 09:06 PM   #33
B-I-G

I'm starting to feel like the DT Series is a little too costly... I am always limited for $ so I might be converting back to bandits and bombers for a little while... Once I earn some more $, I will be sure to buy a couple of the DTs... I'm still thinking about it... Might not be able to get out this weekend.. A week end without fishing isn't a weekend at all!!
Old 05-01-09, 12:05 AM   #34
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Those DT series cranks have the tight sides on them. Usually when you have those tighter wiggle crankbaits they are more productive in the spring, whereas a wider wiggle crankbait is more productive in the summer because of the profile.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 03:09 AM   #35
islandbass

Actually, there really was a shirt. A while back on another forum, people talked up a storm about it and there was hype and one member went out of his way to design it. The shocking them was after all the talk about, "I'm buying one for sure, yada, yada," people didn't follow through to buy what they said. I bought two shirts and I don't know how many other people bought the shirts, but I still hold to the perception that not many folks bought them.

The shirt was well done so those that didn't buy one really missed out. I use that pic as as as avatar on another site.

Every time I have broken a DT lip it has always been 100% my fault. I wonder why I and so many others believe that our lures are supposed to last forever. I guess because it can be costly to replace them.

I believe the adage if the crankbait is banging or something or fished through cover, you ain't workin' it right. But when you're shorebound like me sometimes snags mean true loss of lure. I remember losing 5 cbs in less than an hour's time due to hang ups that a lure retreiver would not have stood a chance to free.
Old 05-01-09, 03:48 AM   #36
wareagledc

does anyone else have trouble with the split ring rusting on the rapalas? i have about 5 and they all rusted. i am a nut about keeping my stuff dry and clean when i get done fishing and keep them all in their compartments. i make sure to dry them off and pick off the gunk on them. all of my lipped cranks are in one big plano box and none of the other brands have done this.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:45 PM   #37
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

Every time I have broken a DT lip it has always been 100% my fault. I wonder why I and so many others believe that our lures are supposed to last forever. I guess because it can be costly to replace them.
yep i agree last lip i tore out was when i tried to yank the bait over the top of a floating pier..one of those DOH! crap moments...

zooker
Old 05-02-09, 02:59 AM   #38
islandbass

I know what you mean zook. When I broke them, my moves were so boneheaded. I got snagged once and I got so frustrated trying to free it so I gave it one mega pull. It broke free, shot out of the water, flew past my ear and smashed into the wall behind me lip first. #$@#$!!!!!!

Wareagledc said:
"does anyone else have trouble with the split ring rusting on the rapalas? i have about 5 and they all rusted. i am a nut about keeping my stuff dry and clean when i get done fishing and keep them all in their compartments. i make sure to dry them off and pick off the gunk on them. all of my lipped cranks are in one big plano box and none of the other brands have done this. "

A couple of mine have rusted, but not many. Fortunately, you can just replace them. Any split ring on a crankbait can eventually rust, rapala or not. Even if you put your lures away dry, if there is enough moisture in the air around the lure, those split rings and other items with iron in them could oxidize.

It really helps to have a good pair of split ring pliers. They make short work of this task of split ring replacement and replacing trebles when needed.
Old 05-04-09, 01:04 AM   #39
hookset on 3

Hello Rapala Customer Care Dept., Are ya reading what my fishin' brothers and I are writing? Maybe we should call Mr. Lauri Rapala himself. Rusty split rings! Broken diving lips! Do ya think Fritts has these problems?

Hookset
Old 05-05-09, 06:47 PM   #40
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post
Hello Rapala Customer Care Dept., Are ya reading what my fishin' brothers and I are writing? Maybe we should call Mr. Lauri Rapala himself. Rusty split rings! Broken diving lips! Do ya think Fritts has these problems?

Hookset
he does....

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.