Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-10, 10:56 AM   #1
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Casting Mechanics

If you’re one of those “Dammit, I’m busy – get to the point!!” types, you may want to do yourself a favor and just close this post and forget it, because I feel a spell of long-windedness overtaking me. For those who do decide to wade through this, please refrain from drawing the conclusion that I’m trying to establish myself as an expert by submitting such a long and detailed posting.

Expertise and the duration of one’s experience probably go hand in hand in many cases, but I refuse to believe that 50 years of fishing for Bass have made me an expert Bass fisherman. If anything, I have probably just repeated the same mistakes again and again, for longer than many of our forum members have been alive. However, all the years of fishing and thinking about fishing have allowed me to make certain observations, and perhaps having the ability and the willingness to write coherent (well, maybe semi-coherent) descriptions of these observations sets me apart from some of you who have similar thoughts but just don’t choose to comment at great length, if at all. Time and other factors become limitations, and even though I have time, I guarantee that if it were no so freakin’ hot, I would be out fishing, rather than writing about it.

I was about 12 when I got my first spinning reel – a ‘Bronson Buddy’ from the Sears catalog. Other than the Mitchell 300 that my uncle owned, it was the only spinner I had ever seen, let alone used. Before that, fishing had been the bamboo pole, live redworms, and bobber scenario. As I recall, this Bronson reel cost about $3.95, making it a low-end model even in those uninflated days. For some long-forgotten reason, I spooled it with 10-lb monofiliment, and from the first cast, it was obvious that this early nylon line was far too ‘springy’ for this reel. But buying different (hopefully better) line was not an option at that moment, so I knew I would have to find some way to live with it.

After several casts in which the line came off in spiraling coils, my sense of logic told me that I was going to need to keep tension on this line as I reeled in, otherwise I would soon have a tangled mess. So, I developed the habit of choking up on the rod slightly with my casting hand, so that I could grasp the line between my first and second fingers while cranking in the bait. I still use this grip today, even though the newer and more forgiving lines don’t require as much effort to avoid tangles. This practice may have been unorthodox, but it also taught me that grasping the line in this manner offered far better ‘sensitivity’ to anything touching my bait. Back then, rod sensitivity was not a major issue, since most rods were fiberglass and were sort of ‘mushy’ feeling anyway.

At the risk of igniting a firestorm, I’m going to say that (from my perspective), rod sensitivity is overrated these days. When you think about it, the line is what transmits the impulses we feel when the fish takes the bait. Holding the line between two fingers allows me to feel these vibrations and it effectively negates the need for a super-sensitive rod. Perhaps some of you will want to try this and comment on your thoughts about this.

Another thing I find curious is the way some right-handed fishermen cast with their right hands and then change hands, so they can also retrieve with their right hands. I guess it’s a matter of personal preference again, but it certainly looks awkward to me, since I cast right handed and crank left handed. It seems that changing hands right after the bait hits the water could provide a moment when the user might miss a bite now and then. Other thoughts / opinions are invited.

Old 07-05-10, 12:13 PM   #2
Ebbetsguy

First , Hello; Second I can only reply to the question of casting Righty and switching hands. When many learned baitcasting the handles were only on one side, you had no choice, if you wanted to baitcast, that's what you had to learn how to do
I learned when the had both righty and lefty, but the guy who taught me , did so old school, so that is how i learned. Like any other thing, once you do it enough times it becomes second nature, and it is not clumsy for me in the least bit.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 12:18 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My father being a lefty, I naturally learned to cast with my left and reel with my right even though I am right handed. And I still prefer that to this day.

I think you are correct that line is more sensitive that rod, but that wont keep people from looking for a little advantage anywhere they can.

Enjoyed the post.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 01:48 PM   #4
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
I can only reply to the question of casting Righty and switching hands. When many learned baitcasting the handles were only on one side, you had no choice, if you wanted to baitcast, that's what you had to learn how to do
I learned when the had both righty and lefty, but the guy who taught me , did so old school, so that is how i learned. Like any other thing, once you do it enough times it becomes second nature, and it is not clumsy for me in the least bit.
That's certainly a sensible explanation for switching hands, and once it's learned, there's little point to un-learning it. Thanks, Ebbetsguy.

I have noticed also that most of the reel manufacturers still don't offer a lot of left handed crank models.

Old 07-05-10, 02:09 PM   #5
Ebbetsguy

There seem to be enough selections for whats out there. I dont buy a lot of stuff, I found what suits me and if I avoid reading all the new stuff, then I dont spend money where i do not have to.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:25 PM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for the tip! I always keep the line on my finger with a baitcaster and I have been sticking out my index finger so that the line runs over it with spinning reels when using "light bite" approaches such as dropshot. Doing it that way is not conducive to reeling at the same time though so I'll give your idea a try next time I'm out.

When you do get a bite is it easy enough to let the line free to set the hook?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:28 PM   #7
keithdog

Pretty good post Harvey. Not sure I agree totally about the need for a sensitive rod. I think it depends on the technique one is using. But your right on about the lines. I'm one of those guys who casts right, switches and retireves right. Here is the funy thing. When using spinning tackle I feel quite comfy retrieving lefty. But I purchased a lefty casting reel and used it for 3 years. Ended up selling it. I can't explain, but I could never get past feeling awkward retrieving a casting reel lefty. Maybe it's the narrower radious of the handle turn. All I know is it just feels 10 times better for me retrieving righty. I certainly do agree that casting righty and retrieving lefty make a lot more sense. Luckily, I've retireved this way for so long I can do it extremely fast and dont even think about it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 03:20 PM   #8
bassinbob

I believe sensitivity comes into play when you are using non reaction type baits, jigs, c-rigs, texas, etc. Now when you are using frogs, spooks, cranks, etc. I think not as much. I also cast right change and reel right. Back in the 50's before I bought my first spinning reel I used pistol grip rods and heaven knows what brand of baitcasting reels. I bought my first spinning reel at a Army and Navy store. Then moved on to the Mitchell 300's which I used until my reintroduction of baitcasting after I started fishing for bass.
Old 07-05-10, 03:22 PM   #9
Jrob78

I learned to cast baitcasters righty and then switch hands too. I will often do this while the bait is still in the air and thumb the spool with my left thumb after the quick switch. I too have tried using a lefty casting reel but it just doesn't feel right.

I agree that the line is important for transmitting vibration but i feel more bites through the rod than I do through the line.

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-05-10 at 03:38 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 03:30 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I learned to cast baitcasters righty and then switch hands too. I will often do this while the bait is still in the air and thumb the spool with my left thumb after the quick switch. I to have tried using a left casting reel but it just doesn't feel right.
I'm with stupid ^^^ I'll often cast with my right hand, swap to the left while the lure is in the air, and feather the spool with my left thumb. With buzzzzzzzbaits and other topwaters that need an immediate retrieve, I can keep them right at the surface after the cast. Yes, casting with one hand and reeling with the other makes a ton of sense, but I feel about as graceful as a three-legged drunken bear when I use a left-handed baitcaster. Spinning reels where I reel with my left are fine, but the baitcaster just feels wierd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
At the risk of igniting a firestorm, I’m going to say that (from my perspective), rod sensitivity is overrated these days. When you think about it, the line is what transmits the impulses we feel when the fish takes the bait. Holding the line between two fingers allows me to feel these vibrations and it effectively negates the need for a super-sensitive rod. Perhaps some of you will want to try this and comment on your thoughts about this.
I'm always touching the line with at least one finger, spinning reel or baitcaster. I have pretty big hands, so I can wrap my hand around the reel and stick out my first finger underneath the levelwind touch the line. I've gotten into the habit so much, I even do it when I'm throwing spinnerbaits, crankbaits, even frogs. And let me tell you, after a while, that braid doesn't feel real good running over that same spot again and again.
Old 07-05-10, 10:50 PM   #11
geezer1

Good read, Harvey. I too am one of those right hand cast, switch to the left, people. Much for the same reasons sited by others in this thread. My oldest son is one of those righty's who uses left hand baitcasters. He's attempted to convert me, but I, like many others, tried it & just can't do it. Could never did get that line between the fingers thing to work for me, even with the small reels. But as far back as I can recall, I've been a line watcher & still am today. I can detect many strikes before I ever feel them just by watching my line. Don't even realize I'm doing it anymore, it's just part of Bassin to me. Still, I like rods with good "feel" (sensitivity) though. My eyesight isn't anywhere near what it used to be.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 11:25 PM   #12
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
When you do get a bite is it easy enough to let the line free to set the hook?
Yes, Bender... I've never had a problem letting go of the line. In fact lots of strikes pull the line from between my fingers. One doesn't need to grip the line hard...just enough to keep tension as the line winds onto the spool.
Old 07-05-10, 11:31 PM   #13
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
But as far back as I can recall, I've been a line watcher & still am today. I can detect many strikes before I ever feel them just by watching my line. Don't even realize I'm doing it anymore, it's just part of Bassin to me.
Thanks, Geezer, for pointing out a significant omission on my part. I'm also a line watcher, and as you said, you can often see the line moving left or right before you feel anything. I guess after a while we all develop a combination of 'detection techniques' -- anything that will help us catch our elusive adversary.
Old 07-06-10, 09:03 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I fish LH for both casting and spinning reels. I'm right handed, so I cast with my right. No need to switch.

So let me get this straight, you hold your rods quite a bit above the reel so you can hold the line. This poses a few problems in my mind. First, I'd think this would screw up your hooksets as you have less rod to work with. Also, you don't have as good a grip on the blank as you do on the handle, which is thicker. And lastly, this would completely screw up the balance of your rod. Instead of balancing the rod and reel in your hand, you'd actually be holding the whole thing up this way. After a long day fishing, this would get tiring.

A sensitive rod is very important in my opinion, whether you hold the line or not. Either way, you WILL feel more.

BB
Old 07-06-10, 10:43 AM   #15
WaffleJaw

What you consider insignificant I consider substantial when fishing tip up.
I dont feel rod sensistivity is overrated at all.
If you were holding your tip up all day in that manner ,lets say fishin a t-rig,or jig,your hand would become fatigued very quickly due to exerting more energy to hold the rod up and gripping the line...Over time,your grip will become tighter from being tired and your bite detection will decrease from it.
Good line and a good,well balanced,sensistive rod all play a huge part in tip up presentations or anything presentation that requires bite detection.
Also BB is correct on getting a solid hook set...Choking up on a rod present two problems,One,your losing power on a hook set,and two, burning more energy than required in doing so...More energy is released from the butt of the rod...Your denying it that by choking up ...Like a baseball bat...Im not sure how far your choking up,but anything above the forgrip is greatly increasing your chances of snapping a rod by not letting it fully bend naturally either.
I think its just time you buy better line.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 07-06-10 at 10:53 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 10:49 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
What you consider insignificant I consider substantial when fishing tip up.
I dont feel rod sensistivity is overrated at all.
If you were holding your tip up all day in that manner ,lets say fishin a t-rig,or jig,your hand would become fatigued very quickly due to exerting more energy to hold the rod up and gripping the line...Over time,your grip will become tighter from being tired and your bite detection will decrease from it.
Good line and a good,well balanced,sensistive rod all play a huge part in tip up presentations or anything presentation that requires bite detection.
Also BB is correct on getting a solid hook set...Choking up on a rod present two problems,One,your losing power on a hook set,and also burning more energy than required in doing so...More energy is released from the butt of the rod...Your denying it that by choking up ...Like a baseball bat......Im not sure how far your choking up,but anything above the forgrip is greatly increasing your chances of snapping a rod by not letting it fully bend naturally either.
I think its just time you buy better line.
Walker, that's a great point that I completely forgot to mention.

I don't know what line you're using or what rods, but I'd suggest trying some more sensitive line and a more sensitive rod. I think you'll be surprised.

BB
Old 07-06-10, 11:48 AM   #17
HarveysMinnow

Default One photo...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0867.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	5503

I'm beginning to wish I could have made a video, but I don't have that capability, so maybe a still pic is better than nothing. As you can see, my grip is still partially on the rod handle. You really can't see the line in this light, but it was between my two extended fingers. Normally my left hand would be on the crank, if I was fishing rather than trying to make a picture.

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression by saying I 'choked up' on the rod, but I certainly agree that gripping the rod up near the first guide would be a bad idea. Also, as soon as I feel something on the other end, I immediately let go of the line and slip my grip back down to a more conventional position.

As I said in the beginning, this works for me, but it probably seems as awkward to some as changing hands after a cast does to me. Anyways, I didn't set out to change the world by posting on this subject...just a little "food for thought".

Old 07-06-10, 12:35 PM   #18
BigBassin144

The pictures helps a great deal. I had thought you were holding it farther up than that.

I hold my reel with the arm between my ring and pinky fingers. If I want, I can put my index finger on the line, but most of the time I don't.

BB
Old 07-06-10, 01:01 PM   #19
Barthez
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you for your post. I personally don't see the issue of sensitivity as black and white matter. In the past I did a lot of surf fishing using spinning reels and heavy rods. Keeping the line resting on my index finger was crucial if I wanted to know what was going on on the other end. Definitely in this scenario I could say the 80% of the sensitivity rested on the line. However, when it comes to bass or inshore fishing (snook, red, seatrout, etc) I tried to take advantage of both line and rod.
I define myself as 100% left handed. That fact has also determined the way I cast both spinning and baitcaster. I cast with my left hand and switch to my right, so I can retrieve with my left hand. I have tried to cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left hand to avoid the switching...I ended up hooking my dog on the leg, a buddy on his right temple and myself in the arm...end of story. I am pretty fast doing the hand switch and have more control of the situation.
Barthez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 11:57 AM   #20
joe p
BassFishin.Com Member

Good read, Harvey, and great responses too.

Im a right hand reeling kinda guy, and the switching of the hands is pretty much automatic and instant.

As regards to the sensitivity issue, we forget to count in the gut factor. Just knowing or sensing the ominous tug, way before we actually feel or see the physical part of it.

Yes, today's lighter rod and reels, and high tech lines help us detect more bites. But with the gut feeling factor, you got to wonder how Joe Schmo gets 'em better, using ordinary ( and less expensive) gear.

Thoughts?

Joe
joe p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:04 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Interesting topic, Harvey.

You are right about the old fiberglass rods-not sensitive at all so holding the line was the way to go to feel subtle bites, especially with a worm. Now with graphite rods you can feel a lot more, but many still have a finger on the line.

As far as casting right and switching-I've been doing it so long it is automatic-I don't even know I do it.

There isn't a right or wrong way-fish the way that works for you.
Old 07-08-10, 06:34 AM   #22
Garry2rs

The need for sensitivity is over rated in many cases...IE musky rods...Why do we need super sensitive rods for a fish that hits like a Mac Truck? The true benefit of these sensitive rod blanks might be that they are very light in weight.

IMO, how you hold your rod or reel is your business.
Switching hand to cast and reel is easy and beneficial.
It goes back to a time when there was no free spool.
The reels were always in gear and the crank handle spun backwards, at high speed, during the cast. The reel handle was held pointed up and to the right at a 45 degree angle. This kept the handle safely away from you and your cloths. This also rolled your wrist slightly to the left and allowed maximum flex...Like the grip they teach you in tennis.
With free spool reels right handed casts can get away with using left hand reels. However it doesn't stop there. When you change hands during the cast, you naturally put the reel into the palm of your receiving hand...This gives you a grip that doesn't allow the reel to torque as you crank.
Most of the righties who use left hand reels hold the reel level when casting...This costs them yards off their cast because they don't get the proper wrist flex.
If KVD, Skeet Reese, Mike Iaconelli and old timers like Rick Clunn all switches hands there can't be any advantage to casting right and reeling left, or vice versa.
However, I don't care which hand you cast with so long as you are having fun.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 08:57 AM   #23
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe p View Post

Yes, today's lighter rod and reels, and high tech lines help us detect more bites. But with the gut feeling factor, you got to wonder how Joe Schmo gets 'em better, using ordinary ( and less expensive) gear.

Thoughts?

Joe
Yes, Joe, I have wondered about that also. Even with all our high-tech toys, Mr. Bass is still an elusive and fickle critter. No matter how fancy or expensive we get, the GUT factor and the LUCK factor still play a part in this perpetual contest.

Old 07-08-10, 09:03 AM   #24
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
It goes back to a time when there was no free spool.
The reels were always in gear and the crank handle spun backwards, at high speed, during the cast. The reel handle was held pointed up and to the right at a 45 degree angle. This kept the handle safely away from you and your cloths. This also rolled your wrist slightly to the left and allowed maximum flex...Like the grip they teach you in tennis.Garry2R's

Garry, your post caused me to dredge up a long-hidden memory. My dad had a bait caster like that, with no free spool. I never got so I could cast it without major backlashes. Maybe that's why I was so glad to see spinning reels come along.

Old 07-08-10, 10:04 AM   #25
Bryan

I'm surprised how many people overlook working baits, setting hooks, and fighting fish as an advantage to powerhand baitcasting. The focus always seems to be on the switching hands aspect, which is a factor, but is probably the least important reason for a righty to use LH retrieve.

I can't even imagine working a jerkbait or walking a spook or frog all day with my weaker hand, then slamming back hooksets and fighting fish with my weaker arm...all while my stronger, more coordinated hand is doing nothing but turning a small handle. So you better believe I'm not gonna spend all my money on powerful rods, no-stretch lines, and razor sharp hooks, only to use them with the wrong hand! It's an easy decision for me, LH retrieve all the way.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.